Badlander 25 Speaker Swap

Jaji

Groupie
I've favored Celestion Redbacks and EVM12Ls for a long time. My vertical 2x12 has a Redback and a WGS 12L. I have 2 Thiele cabs, one with an EVM12L, the other with a Redback. I use both Thieles at the same time.

When I got the BL25, I was looking forward to the Creamback that came loaded stock. Not too shabby. For a brief moment, I put a Redback in it - yeah overkill. I swapped back to the Creamback. Then I recalled how much I love the WGS Invader 50. I have an Eminence horizontal 2x12 that's loaded with an Invader 50 and a G12M-70. Love the blend of those 2 speakers. I decided to give a shot with an Invader 50 in the Badlander.

Wow! I always thought the Creamback and the Invader 50 would sound similar. Nope. The Invader is much more open and breathy on the top end than the Creamback. Fortunately, it's not fizzy. Tube swaps can make changes in tone, though *usually* slight. Swapping speakers is almost always a dramatic change, and in this case, it definitely was and very much for the better. I also took a chance on a WGS IR for the Invader 50 and installed it into a slot on the BL's Cab Clone IR. I doubt I will use that for the clean channel, but definitely for the dirty channel.

I am planning on taking the BL to my next gig at the end of the month. I wish I could play loud and long enough before hand to break the speaker in, but that's not going to happen. Super happy with this decision.

I've favored Celestion Redbacks and EVM12Ls for a long time. My vertical 2x12 has a Redback and a WGS 12L. I have 2 Thiele cabs, one with an EVM12L, the other with a Redback. I use both Thieles at the same time.

When I got the BL25, I was looking forward to the Creamback that came loaded stock. Not too shabby. For a brief moment, I put a Redback in it - yeah overkill. I swapped back to the Creamback. Then I recalled how much I love the WGS Invader 50. I have an Eminence horizontal 2x12 that's loaded with an Invader 50 and a G12M-70. Love the blend of those 2 speakers. I decided to give a shot with an Invader 50 in the Badlander.

Wow! I always thought the Creamback and the Invader 50 would sound similar. Nope. The Invader is much more open and breathy on the top end than the Creamback. Fortunately, it's not fizzy. Tube swaps can make changes in tone, though *usually* slight. Swapping speakers is almost always a dramatic change, and in this case, it definitely was and very much for the better. I also took a chance on a WGS IR for the Invader 50 and installed it into a slot on the BL's Cab Clone IR. I doubt I will use that for the clean channel, but definitely for the dirty channel.

I am planning on taking the BL to my next gig at the end of the month. I wish I could play loud and long enough before hand to break the speaker in, but that's not going to happen. Super happy with this decision.
Thanks for posting your experience. This feels relevant to me. I have an EVM12L in an oversized 1x12 that i mainly slapped together to allow me to use my higher wattage heads without having to drag my 1960A around.

That oversized 1x12 sounds AMAZING, especially with my American amps, but I’ve always wanted to throw a redback in to try with my 1959 and 2204 because they can get pretty bright with the 12L. I’m hoping the redback provides something closer to the “traditional” Marshall/greenback experience.

I’ve had a redback sitting in its box for over a year now and your post is reminding me I should swap it in and check it out. What about the redback didn’t work for you in the badlander other than the obvious power handling mismatch?

Thanks for posting your experience. This feels relevant to me. I have an EVM12L in an oversized 1x12 that i mainly slapped together to allow me to use my higher wattage heads without having to drag my 1960A around.

That oversized 1x12 sounds AMAZING, especially with my American amps, but I’ve always wanted to throw a redback in to try with my 1959 and 2204 because they can get pretty bright with the 12L. I’m hoping the redback provides something closer to the “traditional” Marshall/greenback experience.

I’ve had a redback sitting in its box for over a year now and your post is reminding me I should swap it in and check it out. What about the redback didn’t work for you in the badlander other than the obvious power handling mismatch?
To MY ears, the blend of a Redback and EVM is absolutely stellar. I noticed the biggest impact on my sound when using an acoustic sim. In a band mix, it sounds much more real. By itself, a little less so. I'm sure my Thiele cabs have an influence as well, but the blended tone of those 2 speakers together is just amazing. The Invader 50 just really fits the tone of the Badlander, even better than the stock Creamback. But, again, that's according to my damaged ears.

The Redback is more scooped in the mids, but still has that Celestion sizzle. Personally, I really like it, even by itself. But, when I tried blending it with an EVM, I was pretty much done with my overall speaker search. For years, I used WGS British Lead speakers, which are no longer available. I thought those were bliss until I started using EVMs and Redbacks - even separately.

I am uber excited to play the BL this coming weekend. I damn near feel giddy about it, lol!

I have an EVM12L in an oversized 1x12 that i mainly slapped together to allow me to use my higher wattage heads without having to drag my 1960A around.

Wow. I have been wanting to try that---and for the reasons you have. :beer

I have an older SRO version of the EV and am now going to plunk that in one of my 1x12 cabs.

Thanks for the push.

Wow. I have been wanting to try that---and for the reasons you have. :beer

I have an older SRO version of the EV and am now going to plunk that in one of my 1x12 cabs.

Thanks for the push.
FWIW it has worked out REALLY well. What are you going to push through it?

My 12L was harvested from my Mesa Mark III combo when I moved the chassis into a head shell. I always intended to go with the redback in the oversized cab but threw the 12L in there because it was gathering dust, quickly realizing I was a moron for letting it sit dormant. Tone city.

Today, I tried both my Thiele cabs with the BL to see which one I want to pair with the Invader 50 in the amp. The winner was the Redback. To me, the EVM had too much low end compared to both the Invader and the Redback. Also, the Redback sounded a bit louder. The actual blend with both pairings was great in the highs and mids, but the Redback was just tighter, which surprised me. It's going to be a fun gig this weekend with this setup.

Back