Au contraire mon frère!

My favourite drives in the HX family are the Top Secret OD (you might need to pair an EQ with it as it doesn't even have a tone control), ranging from thickening things up to almost fuzzy glory, the Teemah as a utility sort of thing and the KWB for allowing me to find a new twist every time I was (or sometimes still am) using it. The Dhyana Drive is no slouch, either.
In general, I prefer analog drives, too. But I guess it's got more to do with quick accessibility rather than sound.

Yeah just A/B'd and real drives are where it's at.

Was just about to post this. ^^^

I ran something similar last year for a bit, but it was HXFX in front and Stomp in the loop of my Dyne (the former controlling the latter via midi).

While it sounded much better than either of them alone in 4cm, it still didn’t sound (or feel) near as good as real drives in front.

What are you shooting for? Boost into gainy amp? Dirt into clean/EoB amp?

Heir Apparent into my MT15 was so good I bought the DemonFX KoD and like it a bit more. HA still sounds good too but the KoD's controls seem to go a little farther which is fun.

For boost into gainy amp the Horizon Drive is my top choice unless I can't stand the always-on gate. The Pilars in mode 2 has a bunch of input gain (vol control) on tap.

Frère Jacques?
🤔
1693601299679.png

Was just about to post this. ^^^

I ran something similar last year for a bit, but it was HXFX in front and Stomp in the loop of my Dyne (the former controlling the latter via midi).

While it sounded much better than either of them alone in 4cm, it still didn’t sound (or feel) near as good as real drives in front.
I was thinking of your thread/post on this topic when I was giving it a go. Always coming to the same conclusion :rofl
I cant help on modeled boxes, but since you dig the Boss OC, check out the OD-3 for a "real overdrive". Very amp-like. Let me know if I need to send you one, lol.
Still loving the Thorpy! Just futzing around on my "day off". Boss ODs are a staple but I tend to favor other brands drives for whatever reason?
What are you shooting for? Boost into gainy amp? Dirt into clean/EoB amp?

Heir Apparent into my MT15 was so good I bought the DemonFX KoD and like it a bit more. HA still sounds good too but the KoD's controls seem to go a little farther which is fun.

For boost into gainy amp the Horizon Drive is my top choice unless I can't stand the always-on gate. The Pilars in mode 2 has a bunch of input gain (vol control) on tap.
Just playing around a bit revisiting the HX drives because I like the form factor and functionality of the Stomp so much. Analog drives still ruling the roost :chef

I cant help on modeled boxes, but since you dig the Boss OC, check out the OD-3 for a "real overdrive". Very amp-like. Let me know if I need to send you one, lol.
As much as I love the OD-3, I think the vox valvenergy pedals are the bee's knees. At least for me. I'm glad I grabbed them, have a feeling they'll be discontinued at some point because the nutube hasn't caught on in a big way. They do everything an OD can do and so much more.

As much as I love the OD-3, I think the vox valvenergy pedals are the bee's knees. At least for me. I'm glad I grabbed them, have a feeling they'll be discontinued at some point because the nutube hasn't caught on in a big way. They do everything an OD can do and so much more.
I have looked at those on and off for some time. They have been blown out a few times but I never end up grabbing one for no particular reason.

My least favourite thing about ALL digital modeling platforms?? The dirtboxes/stomps/overdrives/fuzzes. :idk

Every last one!

Can get some servicable tones and impact..... but never had a wow me moment with any virtual stomp.
Cliff has heard you and he will be hard at work
:D

I have looked at those on and off for some time. They have been blown out a few times but I never end up grabbing one for no particular reason.
What flavor you looking for? They cover a lot of ground.

Keep the impedance on auto, turn the output volume knob to full to get accurate od emulation from the stomp.
Use eq lpf to remove some highs, not the input impedance.

Edit:
If you use the preamps as a boost, start with tonestack at bass 0, mid 10, treble 10 to get a similar response of a tubescreamer.

Keep the impedance on auto, turn the output volume knob to full to get accurate od emulation from the stomp.
Use eq lpf to remove some highs, not the input impedance.

Edit:
If you use the preamps as a boost, start with tonestack at bass 0, mid 10, treble 10 to get a similar response of a tubescreamer.
Yeah I futzed with it a bit and ended up back at dirt pedal into amp. BL is super tight so traditional TS not what I necessarily go to for dirt pedal purposes.

BL is super tight so traditional TS not what I necessarily go to for dirt pedal purposes.
Ah, in that case a more full range boost will work better.
Figures that the Mosky Silver on the clean mode works well with that amp.

In the Helix you can create a ruler flat +24dB boost with the Shelf EQ with the following settings:

shelf.png

From there play with the Low Freq and Gain until the amp feels right.

I'm Finding out more and more that a dirt pedal is not really required the amp and the built in boosts or a clean boost before the amp for the solo's and some EQ in the Cab block and maybe a Para EQ at the end of the chain is more than plenty to get me where I want
More of a EVH approach

to Quote EVH

"Never used any distortion pedal"

:idk

Back