Artificial Intelligence (AI) Discussion Thread

I've been using ChatGPT as a helper for some programming tasks recently and at best it's kind of like your personal, instant Stack Overflow answer. But at its worst, it blurts out code examples that are outdated, don't even work or have weirdly convoluted ways to achieve the given task. To the layman, it might seem like you are consulting an expert, but to an expert it's obvious it's bullshitting you.

The fear going forward is that AI is weaponized against those already likely to believe a lot of nonsense. You could have AI construct a plausible enough conspiracy theory about something, put it online and have a big enough group of people believe it. Likewise AI generated rage-/clickbait news is very likely to happen and foreign troll factories have become more capable by being able to put out AI generated stuff that reads as perfect English without having a good grasp of the language.

AI has no heart; it will never make the irrational decision i.e. a heart transplant for a little girl who only has a 3-5% chance of making it.
But it might decide that by definitely killing that little girl, there's a perfectly good pair of kidneys, liver etc that someone with a 60% chance of making it needs.

My grandad once said to my dad , probably in the 1960s, that he thinks one day we're just going to turn it all off, because ultimately it doesn't make our lives better. As my social media feeds get flooded with thousands of fucking worthless pieces of AI art, this is the first time in my life I've started to feel like he was right about that.

Perhaps we are, once again, just a bunch of hosts for viruses that want to self-sustain and self-preserve their kind. :idk

We do seem to get a little precious as humans, by always assuming we are at the top of the pyramid, and that we are
not also tools being used/employed for ends not of our own making.

And we need Neil Peart here to write some prescient lyrics about all of this? Did Rush
ever explore technology, artificial intelligence, and it's intersection with humanity and
a living order??

Screenshot 2023-08-12 at 17-14-12 Lyrics for The Body Electric by Rush - Songfacts.png

I had ChatGPT write the lyrics to a death metal song about Die Hard, and several children's stories about Back to the Future aimed at different age groups. It did a pretty good job of all of it.

I asked ChatGPT why Blackmore is grumpy. The reply was well balanced on the human aspect of kindness and comprehension. Encouraging to avoid biased assumptions and generalizations.

Of course, the answers will depend on the algorithms introduced by the programmer. Once this technology gets on the hands of trolls, or TGP moderators, there will be chaos on earth

As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, Ritchie Blackmore, the renowned guitarist and songwriter, has been known for having a reputation of being somewhat grumpy or having a reserved demeanor. However, it's important to note that public perceptions and personalities can be complex and multifaceted, and it's not always accurate to make sweeping generalizations about someone's demeanor based on media portrayals or limited interactions.

There could be various reasons attributed to any perceived grumpiness:

1. **Personality:** Some individuals naturally have a more introverted or reserved personality, which might come across as grumpiness to others.

2. **Media and Public Attention:** Celebrities often have to deal with invasive media attention, which can lead to frustration and guardedness.

3. **High Standards:** Ritchie Blackmore is known for his dedication to his craft and high standards for music. This commitment might sometimes come across as seriousness or grumpiness, especially when dealing with creative and professional matters.

4. **Long Career:** Blackmore has had a long and successful career in the music industry, which can come with its share of challenges and pressures. Over time, dealing with these aspects might influence one's demeanor.

5. **Limited Interactions:** Public appearances and interviews might not always capture the entirety of someone's personality. People can behave differently in private compared to when they are in the public eye.

It's important to remember that individual personalities are complex, and any assumptions about someone's disposition should be made with caution. People may also change and evolve over time, so it's possible that Ritchie Blackmore's demeanor might have shifted since my last update.

ritchie blackmore GIF

"AI" is too often confused with what is actually machine learning - which I think is an issue because to speak anything but ill of "AI" in the current social context (at least, in mine) is almost taboo. There's a big difference between using ML to create a guitar tone like tonex and AI actually replacing human artistic expression, but it's all in the same boat to most people. I'm not trying to say there is no risk of that, but I think the notion that ai is replacing humans as artists and creators is probably a little overblown presently. I don't know about you all, but I don't care how good something looks or sounds - the minute I know it wasn't created by a person, it loses all artistic value I might have implicitly given it. You can recreate art, but you can't recreate the artist and the context

Yes, ChatGPT database is basically the entire internet, including reddit, facebook, forums, twitter, etc.
It is intelligent but it doesn't 'know' more than what it scans, basically it is as dumb as your average internet user. :p:rofl

"AI" is too often confused with what is actually machine learning - which I think is an issue because to speak anything but ill of "AI" in the current social context (at least, in mine) is almost taboo. There's a big difference between using ML to create a guitar tone like tonex and AI actually replacing human artistic expression, but it's all in the same boat to most people. I'm not trying to say there is no risk of that, but I think the notion that ai is replacing humans as artists and creators is probably a little overblown presently. I don't know about you all, but I don't care how good something looks or sounds - the minute I know it wasn't created by a person, it loses all artistic value I might have implicitly given it. You can recreate art, but you can't recreate the artist and the context
I'd say the difference is in "art as a career." When we say art, we think of someone making original music or paintings or whatever, but the reality is that a lot of the work available is making the music or visuals for an advertisement, website promoting a product or a news piece. While that's creative work too, it's also the kind of work that can be replaced by AI generated content because it doesn't require a whole lot of artistic vision. As we doom scroll the internet, we aren't necessarily thinking too much about who made the artwork for the content we consume, because it's not the main focus.

I wanted to become a graphics designer or 3D animator around the turn of the century, but didn't get in the right schools for it. Became a programmer instead and in hindsight, that's been a way better career choice. Some friends who are graphics designers have over these years had far less opportunities for work.

Back