Are we out of touch? No, it's the children who are wrong!

the-trooper

Shredder
There has been a lot of talk when Thomann released "the best selling" list, also a fair number mentioned that we're living in a forum bubble. Interesting results on this poll.

Kids.jpg

There has been a lot of talk when Thomann released "the best selling" list, also a fair number mentioned that we're living in a forum bubble. Interesting results on this poll.

View attachment 6595

Well as a Line 6 Helix LT junkie who owned an FM9 for a cup of coffee, I will say the FM9 tones are better. For me it's not a matter of money. I could have an AXE FXIII and FC-12 on my doorstep before the weekend. It's the UI and and related workflow that keeps me a Line 6 fanboi. The tones aren't "that much" better.

Well as a Line 6 Helix LT junkie who owned an FM9 for a cup of coffee, I will say the FM9 tones are better
Sounds aside, it's about the fact that the same number of people voted for Helix and QC.
Maybe Thomanns numbers about QC being the best seller weren't fixed, as most of us assumed.

I was never surprised it was a top selling the unit; most of the people who were going to buy a Helix have had years to do so. If they were both released at the same time it might be a better look at the popularity contest aspect of it. With all the marketing around it, it’s not surprising it made the list being the new toy.

Part of the reason why I haven't is I spend 8 hours a day doing IT work and don't want to be tied to a computer (and possibly troubleshoot issues) with my guitar playing time.

It’s easier than a peddleboard imo

Very little computer part to it when I’m playing or recording.

That’s the nice thing about a hw modeler… Just turn it on.

But if you just want an amp, that’s cool too!

I know several people having bought or planning to buy a QC. IMO for good reasons.
Some of them are folks with pretty bad Line 6 experiences, so that's even more understandable, especially as (unlike in the USA) Yamaha's support is at least partially abysmal. I know of one dude who had to wait for over two months to get some HX Floor footswitches (I think it's actually only been 2) fixed. And that was before Covid.
So, regarding these two, you have the choice between bad support and a different kind of bad support.

Kemper then? Well, no component modeling and not for the tweakers (still the most used unit among the folks I know personally).

FM9 then? Nah. Horrible prices over here. Support is apparently pretty decent but slow, due to limited capacities. So in case your FM9 breaks, prepare yourself for plenty of weeks/months without any replacement. Can't even buy another one if you wanted.

Me? If I had to buy an all-in-one-modeler today, it'd be a GT-1000 without the slightest doubt.

It’s easier than a peddleboard imo

Very little computer part to it when I’m playing or recording.

That’s the nice thing about a hw modeler… Just turn it on.

But if you just want an amp, that’s cool too!
I actually don't use an amp. I use various distortion pedals into a Two Notes CAB M+ into a Headrush FRFR112 with a Boss MS-3. I have a "starter" patch for anything I do with the Two Notes Cab M+. Once I set up the starter patch, I just save a new copy of it to a spot, then make little changes to it for what I'm trying to achieve with the IRs or whatever.

Once I set up the MS-3, I don't really need to do much with it as far as setting it up.

I know several people having bought or planning to buy a QC. IMO for good reasons.
Some of them are folks with pretty bad Line 6 experiences, so that's even more understandable, especially as (unlike in the USA) Yamaha's support is at least partially abysmal. I know of one dude who had to wait for over two months to get some HX Floor footswitches (I think it's actually only been 2) fixed. And that was before Covid.
So, regarding these two, you have the choice between bad support and a different kind of bad support.

Kemper then? Well, no component modeling and not for the tweakers (still the most used unit among the folks I know personally).

FM9 then? Nah. Horrible prices over here. Support is apparently pretty decent but slow, due to limited capacities. So in case your FM9 breaks, prepare yourself for plenty of weeks/months without any replacement. Can't even buy another one if you wanted.

Me? If I had to buy an all-in-one-modeler today, it'd be a GT-1000 without the slightest doubt.
Yeah, but aren't they due for a Boss GT-10000 soon?

especially as (unlike in the USA) Yamaha's support is at least partially abysmal.
Depends on the country because they have contracts with repair shops which don't actually have anything to do with Yamaha, but act as a certified repair shops.
This means that you can have a horrible experience or a great experience.

I actually don't use an amp. I use various distortion pedals into a Two Notes CAB M+ into a Headrush FRFR112 with a Boss MS-3. I have a "starter" patch for anything I do with the Two Notes Cab M+. Once I set up the starter patch, I just save a new copy of it to a spot, then make little changes to it for what I'm trying to achieve with the IRs or whatever.

Once I set up the MS-3, I don't really need to do much with it as far as setting it up.
Part of why I am thinking about an all in one, possibly an Axe FX II/III is because the Two Notes CAB M+ is pretty cumbersome when using 3rd party IRs. The Micro SD memory card slot is sort of pointless. For some reason, the second IR slot can only load from internal memory. So basically what you have to do is go to the menu, preview IRs from the memory card loader, navigating through folders, etc., then hit enter and pick a user folder to send it to on the internal memory. At 200ms, you can only have 44 IRs, which is a lot, but since it is cumbersome to test out IRs for mixing (such as an M25 with 121 and H30 with 57), you send a few to the internal user memory then compare them while mixed there.

Like I said, not my idea of fun. Obviously, there might be better options versus a $2300 piece of rack hardware for what I want to do.

Yeah, but aren't they due for a Boss GT-10000 soon?

No idea and I wouldn't care much, if at all. I have never been an early adopter when it came to my guitar stuff. I need tried and trusted things I can rely on. And I usually don't need the latest bells and whistles, either.

Depends on the country because they have contracts with repair shops which don't actually have anything to do with Yamaha, but act as a certified repair shops.
This means that you can have a horrible experience or a great experience.

Quite aware of that. Actually, the certified Yamaha partner more or less around the corner (30-40km away) seems to be a very decent shop with qualified repair personnel. Yet, they sometimes can't seem to be able to get original parts in time.

Back