Apparently stem separation is quite attainable these days

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
I tried out this program called RipX that separates the tracks in an MP3 or other music files and I really dug it. Not sure I can justify the 100 bucks they want for it, so I started digging a little and there are some online stem/track separators but so far the 2 I have checked out give back terrible quality stems. Anyone here know of a site that does it and gives back a quality sounding file?

I want to use it as a learning tool for learning songs properly AND to prove to my cover band bass player that not all AC/DC songs are just Cliff hanging on an A for 3-4 minutes.

Anywho what a tremendous tool that can be used for all sorts of stuff. Anyone else here doing this?

I wonder how these do this. Like I know with some things in the stereo field, you can introduce phase and it’ll cancel out whatever you introduced the phase to. How do these sound after they’ve been stripped down? Do the guitar tones still sound consistent throughout the songs?

I wonder if it’s doing a frequency sweep to isolate certain instruments then using the same frequency curve to phase out the instrument selected? (If that makes sense)

I wonder how these do this. Like I know with some things in the stereo field, you can introduce phase and it’ll cancel out whatever you introduced the phase to. How do these sound after they’ve been stripped down? Do the guitar tones still sound consistent throughout the songs?

I wonder if it’s doing a frequency sweep to isolate certain instruments then using the same frequency curve to phase out the instrument selected? (If that makes sense)

It's really dependent on what you put in/upload. I noticed it retains most of the quality so I use 320kbps MP3's or FLAC. There is some degradation/artifacts yes, but for what I am using it for that's not really much of a concern. I figure if I do need better quality I will throw it into Audacity and the noise filter should take out most of the artifacts. The rest is applying a few eq filters, if I were to try and liven it back up.

I wonder how these do this.
Black
God Of War Magic GIF by Santa Monica Studio

It uses a neural network to solve a source separation problem. https://paperswithcode.com/task/audio-source-separation

This is yet another time when technology is coming to just RIP the very fabric of many peoples' livelihoods right out of their hands. No point in fighting it. I just hope it isn't met with as much glee from those too stupid to realize they are next on the chopping block like tv/print media did to the music industry before getting the axe themselves

How? Who was doing stem separation from finished recordings before AI?
Its more about what can be accomplished once you can take apart existing songs. You could just about automate transcription because of it for one thing (DNA was already bringing that pretty close as well). There are many many insidious things people get paid to do which go out the window with the ability to strip tracks in and out. Goodbye to those lucrative Karaoke covers too. That is a serious career for so many musicians

Moises is the greatest thing. I’ve been putting rappers over my riffs which I’ve been dreaming about for as long as I’ve been playing guitar. Total game changer
I wish Moises would allow a little better track differentiation.

Great at isolating vocals, bass, drum, and guitar; but would love it to put keys and "other" to their own tracks. Well worth the annual fee.

Showed the wife, she was stunned it could it so quickly and so well.

I wish Moises would allow a little better track differentiation.

Great at isolating vocals, bass, drum, and guitar; but would love it to put keys and "other" to their own tracks. Well worth the annual fee.

Showed the wife, she was stunned it could it so quickly and so well.
I believe Spectralayers can do that.

Well after using the free and near free stuff for almost a month I have decided to pay the 99 bucks for RipX and WOW is it a tremendous piece of software! Going to be putting up a demo vid soon using it to help get the 80's Tribute thing promoted.

Last edited:
Interesting. I'm going to have to give Moises a test drive.

It's not bad. It gets the job done mostly. Ripx seems to eliminate artifacts better and produce higher quality output. I was able to pretty much do the same thing with Moises in post separation with some simple filters in Audacity.

Back