Anybody else out there think of cuttin’ down to one axe?

Yup. I played 3 different guitars last night, enjoyed the fuck out of each, and played something differently
with each. SSS Strat, Tele, Edwards LP. Not a one of those could replace the others.

My preferences and tastes are just too damn diverse to have 1, or 2, or 8. :LOL:

I think this is why I struggle with PRS's (no offense to owners of them. I still have 2). They
are kind of middle of the road and lack some of the distinctness my other guitars have.

:sofa
You need a mean-ass Tremonti!!,
I totally get it and been down that road also.
I think the best one I had was the old-school Singkecut with the #7 pickups.
The neck #7 pickup is dope af.
The #7 bridge reminds me of a BK Rebel Yell,
a bit less output and thinner.

I seriously thought this was going to be a gag post.

No fuggin’ way I could/would do it. I’m at maybe 12 guitars and the same in amp, then preamps. I’ve eliminated a fair bit of amp redundancy though…

I should cut down, but I cut up instead. This week I said the hell with it. I took off the rest of the month, told all my customers see ya next year. Bought these during the summer and was only able to play them at the gigs.

3dqxLfRl.jpg

Cancelled out on my sideman NYE gig. Starting this morning I'll be mostly horizontal til' 02JAN2024 thoroughly enjoying my guitars.

Rrnx5Ill.jpg

One guitar? No backup at gigs?

I have one acoustic and one bass. I don't need more than that in those categories.

But for electrics I have backups for my 335, Strat, and Les Paul. The others, like the Dean Z (Explorer) are for variety just to play something different every once in a while.

I did thin the herd awhile back and sold the ones I don't play no matter how much I liked them. The ones that are left all get played except the acoustic and bass. No need to have multiples of instruments I don't play.

Any of us could get by with just 1. But like others have said, some guitars make you play different. Each one feels like its own world.

Here are the ones I own. I'm very happy, I do want to eventually add a Tele and an archtop to the stable, but like I said, haven't bought a guitar in a long time.

1. Dave Murray Signature Fender Strat (one-way trem w/ EVH D-tuna): one way trem plays a lot different than a two way. Plus this thing kicks a$$. Keeper.
  2. Harley Benton Fusion HH (two-way trem): Bigger steel frets, great feeling neck, and a two way trem. It was cheap too, and its one of my best players. If it gets dinged up I will feel zero bad. Love it. Keeper.
  3. Carvin Cali Carved Top: This was my first real guitar I bought. Plays like butter. I swapped the pickups in it and actually don't love them, so I will swap to something else soon. On pure sentimental level though, its a keeper.
  4. ESP LTD SN-1: Massive frets that are scalloped at the upper register and a single Fishman bridge pickup. This one handles drop tuning metal stuff perfectly, and I got a killer deal on it. Plays amazing. I could see myself eventually selling, but its a keeper for now.
  5. PRS Baritone Semi-Hollow: This guitar is loaded with soapbars, and it sounds unlike any other guitar I've ever played. Baritone as well, so its definitely a keeper. Great for ambient stuff.
  6. Fender Mexi-strat: This is the only guitar I own that does the glassy spanky strat thing. I bought used and its clearly seen some action in its lifetime, but I love it. Frets are worn, but it sounds amazing.
  7. Strandberg Boden Classic: This guitar is awesome for travel. The fanned frets make it pretty unique to play, but its an effortless experience. I bring this one a lot when I go to teach because its so light and easy to pack around. Plus Strandberg raised the price on these a ton, so its a keeper for sure now.
  8. Jackson Misha Mansoor 7 string: This is a 7 string which makes it unique enough already to be an instant keeper. However, the string spacing is a bit too thin for my liking. Might swap the nut and fix that if I can. It sounds great though, especially clean surprisingly. Looks gorgeous in neon orange too.
  9. Taylor Baby Acoustic: Its an acoustic, and it sounds amazing for its size. Keeper.
  10. Cheapo Chinese Telecaster hotrodded with boutique pickups and hardware: This was my first attempt at heavily modifying a guitar, and I ended up having to go way further with it than I had anticipated. It came out pretty unique, but its a little rough around the edges. I wouldn't mind selling it, but I don't think I could get more than like $80 for it. So at that point, its a keeper lol.

So...ten guitars for me? Yeah, my fiance thinks its a bit much, but she doesn't care. Besides, she pays to put nails on her nails, so we're both pretty silly at the end of the day. But we're happy, and thats what matters :p

Back