Anybody else out there think of cuttin’ down to one axe?

I can’t do just one, I need too many different voices. But I do like to keep it to as few as possible and only one of each type.

At the very least I have to keep at least one of each of these around:

Electric - single coils
Electric - humbuckers
Archtop
Steel acoustic
Nylon acoustic
Passive bass
Mandolin
Banjo

And these are not 100% necessary but come up from time to time:

Active bass
Dobro
Super strat

Right now, I could definitely get by with fewer. They pile up over the years as different requirements present (different bands, different tunings, whatever)...
Every one of them has some unique story or reason I can't easily get rid of it.

No, but I could certainly cut down to just a couple. 95% of the time I use either my Ibanez AZ (a modern HSS Strat style) or my PRS CE-24 (double humbuckers with coil splitting). I have half a dozen other guitars but they don't see nearly as much use.

These two actually both describe me.

Ever since I got my LTD EC-1000T, I just haven't really wanted to play anything else, BUT, I have good reasons for keeping my other ones, whether that be rarity, or, in the case of my 3 PRS, I will never be able to afford to replace them, and with a simple pickup swap, and they can be gigged again. Some just aren't worth that much, so to me, it's not worth the hassle of getting rid of them.

I think I’m up to 13 guitars and 3 basses, out of those 13 I’d say I rotate 8 of them quote often. They’re all in different tunings and sound different, there’s no way I could make 1 work for what I consider happiness.

Yup. I played 3 different guitars last night, enjoyed the fuck out of each, and played something differently
with each. SSS Strat, Tele, Edwards LP. Not a one of those could replace the others.

My preferences and tastes are just too damn diverse to have 1, or 2, or 8. :LOL:

I think this is why I struggle with PRS's (no offense to owners of them. I still have 2). They
are kind of middle of the road and lack some of the distinctness my other guitars have.

:sofa

I can liken this feeling to “going Comanche”..
Quit your job and join the band and if you lose everything, well that’s why you started the band.
“Dirts Win”

Attachments

• IMG_2949.jpeg
    IMG_2949.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
Maybe 6 or so years ago when my wife and I were still teaching after-school guitar classes, a colleague of hers retired and gave us his classroom full of guitars.

On top of the 25 or so Fender acoustics we already had, we received maybe 5-6 Squire and other cheap Strats, a Taylor electric, 4 Squire P Basses, a truckload of combo (including that AC15 I had) and keyboard amps, a few keyboards, a cheaper Gretch drum kit with cymbals and a few boxes of strings. Oh an a couple more acoustic guitars, like three multi-stands and a box of percussion instruments. Oh yeah and a box of shirts and straps. Probably some more stuff, but I've sold off most of the amps that didn't completely fall apart and a few of the cheaper electrics.

I keep guitars in every room. I have my AZ, my S2, a Strat, a 7 string, an 8 string, Bass, and a travel guitar in the master, my son has a few guitars and a bass in his room. 3 guitars and 2 Basses in the living room, a guitar in my daughter's room.

Oh and violins! We have a few violins and violas. My oldest daughter has those in her room because she wants to learn.

I haven't really gotten to the drums yet either.

Sold my other 3 guitars last year, so now I only have 1 guitar and 1 bass, and I love it. Less guitars to string, and with a p90 and a costum 5 ( can split ) I have all I need

I think this is why I struggle with PRS's (no offense to owners of them. I still have 2). They
are kind of middle of the road and lack some of the distinctness my other guitars have.

:sofa
No offense taken, as I own a few, and I agree with you 100%.

Mine are definitely for playing comfort most of all, as they are hard to beat for combination of weight, ergonomics, neck carve, and a smooth trem, IMO.

Back