Any wiring experts here? Is this possible?

metropolis_4

Rock Star
I’m hoping to combine a couple configurations I’ve seen with a twist of two volume controls.

This is what I’m hoping to do:

Blank diagram.jpeg

I think that with separate volume controls that is not possible while having to split coils, because you have to connect the Volume pots before going to the super-switch. Unless you use dual (stereo) volume pots, one circuit for each coil, to send the coils separately from the pot to the super-switch

I think that with separate volume controls that is not possible while having to split coils, because you have to connect the Volume pots before going to the super-switch. Unless you use dual (stereo) volume pots, one circuit for each coil, to send the coils separately from the pot to the super-switch
You just have to ground the connection between the coils to split it. The two volumes do not negate the ability to split. The 3 position is the tricky one. Is the middle pickup bypassing all volume and tone controls?

Are you planning to use one of these? https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/components-and-parts/switches/oak-grigsby-super-switch/
It opens up a lot of options by having 4 poles on the switch (4p5t).

It's possible. Just figure out if you want the middle pickup to also be volume controllable. If so, then you could get a stacked pot for neck/mid or for brig/mid. Or a concentric pot for independent control.

N and B pup to coil tap switch, out to volume controls, volumes out to 5-way switch positions, M pup to 5-way switch position (unless vol is needed), 5-way output to tone control, from tone to 1/4" jack.

That’s the Guthrie wiring with the mini toggle apart from the repeated settings.
There is a Schaller mega switch that does the middle position like this and you could use a HB split switch with it. You would get all these options and two more but the arrangement on the switch would be slightly different.

Glad to hear it should be possible!

I don’t care too much about the middle pickup volume control as long as I can get both humbuckers in the middle position with a separate volume control on the neck.

I’m hoping to be able to do the LP thing where I’m in the middle position and bump the neck volume down a notch.

I’d even be fine with a volume on the neck only and then a master volume if that made it possible

Back