Another rarity

Harry Tuttle

Moderator 27B-6
3-D4776-B7-806-D-4840-A8-B8-98-A623610-B41.jpg

From 2000-01? season. The last one before the reboot. Tradition was rivet these to your robot.

I’ll have to go look for photos… We used to have a whole website so I’m sure I have some tiny resolution photos from back then somewhere on a hard drive.

A buddy of mine and I built basically a pizza box with a 3 foot long, half inch thick spinning bar of stainless on the front nose. Somewhere in the realm of 100,000 pounds psi impact.

We were in the heavyweight division which had a weight limit of 220 pounds. I did this in between jobs for about 18 months. Went out and got sponsorship… Project cost about $20 large just to send it in for destruction!

I’ll have to go look for photos… We used to have a whole website so I’m sure I have some tiny resolution photos from back then somewhere on a hard drive.

A buddy of mine and I built basically a pizza box with a 3 foot long, half inch thick spinning bar of stainless on the front nose. Somewhere in the realm of 100,000 pounds psi impact.

We were in the heavyweight division which had a weight limit of 220 pounds. I did this in between jobs for about 18 months. Went out and got sponsorship… Project cost about $20 large just to send it in for destruction!
Wow. Sounds fun. I’m an engineer by education and always thought it would be cool to do design and build one.

Wow. Sounds fun. I’m an engineer by education and always thought it would be cool to do design and build one.
I taught myself CAD/CAM in the process. My father is an engineer.

Also got to be the shop lackey for a 60 year journeyman Bavarian machinist. ;)

Relegated to sweeping chips and deburring parts. Dude tried to even stuff me in one of those German BMW lab coat things…

I taught myself CAD/CAM in the process. My father is an engineer.

Also got to be the shop lackey for a 60 year journeyman Bavarian machinist. ;)

Relegated to sweeping chips and deburring parts. Dude tried to even stuff me in one of those German BMW lab coat things…
Ha lol at the lab coat. That’s awesome that you learned CAD/CAM for this. Those were my favorite classes in college. My degree was manufacturing engineering + industrial engineering so lots of design and build stuff including various welding applications etc. all perfect for building battle bots lol. Should’ve done it. Ha.

Heavyweight class: 220 pounds max

About 550 foot pounds of torque. I sat on it once and drove it around the neighborhood. I’m not small. ;)

There are a few cues around about how big it is; the wheels are 8 inch diameter.

It could drive in either orientation; whacker up or down.

All the metal on the outside, that you see (except for the nose weapon) is titanium. Interior frame is simple C-channel AL 6061 T6.

The whacker bar was some weird, non-ferritic stainless. (Got bent in one match and had to go find a huge freaking press somewhere in South San Francisco asap.)

Last edited:
That’s too cool, man!!

I used to sit and think of how I’d build my own, usually involving some kind of liquid nitrogen dispensing method and a heavy ass hammer to smash a frozen bot to pieces. Or fire, but I’d imagine those have gotta get pretty hot for the internal components to start melting unless you had direct access.

That’s too cool, man!!

I used to sit and think of how I’d build my own, usually involving some kind of liquid nitrogen dispensing method and a heavy ass hammer to smash a frozen bot to pieces. Or fire, but I’d imagine those have gotta get pretty hot for the internal components to start melting unless you had direct access.
I had some cray ideas and notions as well… Luckily my partner was a mechanical engineer who was rather pragmatic and practical. 🤣

I had this three axis, ovoid design (egg-like) going with massive lumber mill sawblades… My buddy said: “Bro, we’re gonna build a pizza box.”

Wow - I only thought it was a beast - until you shared the weight and dimensions. Damn!
One of the key sponsorships was finding someone to ship all that crap including the toolboxes…🤪

Actually all the sponsorships were great. We had Textron, NTN, specialty metals, some buddies w/ companies and automotive tuners/balancers etc.

Tons of stories …

Back