TGF Do Something Challenge Season 7 Week 3

#original-song

This started as a random clip I made when I wanted to give a Trainwreck amp a try in the Fractal, it was only a minute or so long. I wanted to develop it into a whole song so I got to it earlier. It's going to be called "Stolen Valor Posercaster" and it'll be about how I'm just a poser pretending to be a good guitar player because I play a relic. Everything was recorded with the Old Man Strat, all the rhythms are the Trainwreck and the lead is a JCM800. Lead is just temporary, by the time I had a direction for it my fingers were done.

IMG_7572.jpg

The older I get, the more cynical I get. A lot of art is dumbed down to the extent that there was some art exhibition where someone put together an unmade bed complete with used condoms and it sold for a few millions. The question with avant garden is "who's putting on who"? There's nothing like Picasso's Neocubism in modern art, just mass produced garbage that "the man" thinks you should be hearing.

Speaking of just music, it's been a long time since I heard something that really shook me like American Pie or Bohemian Rhapsody. Is it because there aren't people that aren't writing those songs? I don't believe that's true. In fact, I'm sometimes moved more by stuff I just randomly chance upon on Instagram or Facebook or Youtube than I am by the content the algorithm is telling me I'm supposed to be hearing. There are gems buried under a pile of shit, and no one dare venture any deeper.

Zoning in on just metal, most of the lyrics are just nonsense stitched together. Not even worth trying to decipher them. There is no deeper meaning, unfortunately. I'm guilty of it as well, most of my lyrics are meant to be taken literally, with nothing metaphorical hidden within.

Oh man! That's a disease. Trust me. It gets worse with age if you don't fight
it with the beauty and goodness present in Life---even if you have to search
for it diligently. :idk

Or.... maybe you need a near death experience to cleanse that shit out of your soul. :LOL:

Seriously though, I know what you mean. It is the nature of getting wiser and experiencing love, pain and death.

I know a lot of bitter, contemptible old fucks. Just sayin'.

Taika Waititi Vampire GIF by What We Do In The Shadows

:LOL:

I used to think aging brought wisdom and equanimity innately. Now I understand it is intention that
brings it. Young, old, or in between. Intention really seems to be the biggest key of all. If we want
be shallow, superficial fucks that's what we'll become. If we want wisdom----we have to earn that, too,
with an intentionality that makes it a goal or aim of ours. :idk

The older I get, the more cynical I get. A lot of art is dumbed down to the extent that there was some art exhibition where someone put together an unmade bed complete with used condoms and it sold for a few millions.

Art (music included) is dumbed down today because people are dumbed down because of a major flaw called human nature which they immerse themselves in far too much.

Speaking of just music, it's been a long time since I heard something that really shook me like American Pie or Bohemian Rhapsody. Is it because there aren't people that aren't writing those songs?

That is correct. There aren't people writing those kinds of songs, and if they did, they would be mocked incessantly with lots of "OK Boomer" 's.

Zoning in on just metal, most of the lyrics are just nonsense stitched together. Not even worth trying to decipher them. There is no deeper meaning,

With Nu/New Metal (as opposed to NWOBM, Hair Metal and similar) that's pretty much the deal; it's intentionally soulless. Sometime during the 90's, the Evil Soul Sucking Machine got turned on and started sucking. That's my take, anyways. I'm glad I lived during the 70's and 80's and had that music to live on. Just ask Waldo:

Oh man! That's a disease. Trust me. It gets worse with age if you don't fight
it with the beauty and goodness present in Life---even if you have to search
for it diligently. :idk

Or.... maybe you need a near death experience to cleanse that shit out of your soul. :LOL:

Hell, no! Being alive is to constantly struggle against the *crap* being shoved down our throats relentlessly by the powers that be.

This extends way beyond just art to all spheres of life.

Perhaps you're not old enough to remember, but for those of us that do, this truly is an age of darkness and ignorance. And bad art.

Art (music included) is dumbed down today because people are dumbed down because of a major flaw called human nature which they immerse themselves in far too much.

That is correct. There aren't people writing those kinds of songs, and if they did, they would be mocked incessantly with lots of "OK Boomer" 's.

With Nu/New Metal (as opposed to NWOBM, Hair Metal and similar) that's pretty much the deal; it's intentionally soulless. Sometime during the 90's, the Evil Soul Sucking Machine got turned on and started sucking. That's my take, anyways. I'm glad I lived during the 70's and 80's and had that music to live on. Just ask Waldo:

It's money that makes the world go around.

People see or hear something being played on the TV all the time or on loop on the radio, and they begin to think it's somehow good because other people are listening or watching it.

Except it has nothing to do with people watching or listening. It's an algorithm designed to shove the content down as many throats as possible. Its bot farms intended to drive views by constantly liking and sharing content. It's gatekeepers to music who accept cash to make a recommendation or play a track.

Classic examples of that strategy would be the songs "Oppa Gagnam Style" and "Despacito". Just bots and twisted algorithms that translated into over a billion views.

Also, quality is out, looks are in. It's all about marketability. Cue Justin Bieber and Katy Perry.

And eventually what happened is that people stopped buying music. So enter Spotify, where the CEO says that it's free to create content.

Eventually, it will all be AI-driven art. Who can be a more prolific and perfect artist than a machine that has studied all the great works of art and regurgitates them in myriad forms?

Except it truly will be soulless and missing the human element that made music great.

Art is dying, if not dead already. Just a few "chosen ones" to keep up the pretence that humans are still doing this.

Back