Andy Eagle ( Guitar repair tech for 30 years )

Logistics companies:

Say What Oh Hell No GIF by Robert E Blackmon
Very likely , In that picture I can see the join in the binding on the right side of the truss rod cover. I wish I had replaced the whole piece now but it was missing the lower half and clean above the break so I spliced in a smaller section. Working on vintage all the time makes me keep as much as possible sometimes when it isn't the right thing to do.

Ultra rare Spanish Fly in the other day.
Not sure who this was designed for because it has a traditional fingerboard and no classical player is going to use it.
IMG_3413.jpeg

IMG_3414.jpeg

IMG_3411.jpeg

IMG_3412.jpeg

IMG_3415.jpeg

If I was involved it would have been aimed at Jazz players with a more contemporary neck. Great instrument though.

Hello Andy, have you ever heard of this Trem System? seems really awesome

No not yet but I can see quite a bit in the video that is just BS. First up it is a cam and roller trem with very similar functional design as the Steinberger and others but made to fit in a strat rout. It looks like a Warmoth guitar to me ( almost certain ) ,there are key visible pointers to this. I would be interested in if it is adjustable for calibration at all because it was out of tune throughout the video. Not one single chord bend remained in tune . Fludd is so far out of his depth with the information it comes off as bad spam. He clearly has no understanding of what is going on and the fact that a cam and roller design has many problems with acting as a damper in use and essentially the same as many existing systems. The one feature here is it fits in a strat rout but if it can't be adjusted for "in Tune" transposition it's brings very little that isn't well covered already and better in everything but relative pitch . Also Rick is very expensive so this almost certainly will be too. It does look interesting however and I would reserve final judgment on one in front of me.

I miss my old deluxe too but I don't want to be the guy with it when the electrics start to fail even the jack is a major problem.
I had a MIDI Fly too but couldn't do much with it because I've never owned a Windows 98 machine. Tracked really well right out the box, tho'.

I had a MIDI Fly too but couldn't do much with it because I've never owned a Windows 98 machine. Tracked really well right out the box, tho'.
Guitars need to be built with a musical instrument lifespan expectancy which for me means only outboard tech barre a hex pickup for a midi guitar. Even old actives can be impossible to repair after support ends which is always long before the instrument is done.

Guitars need to be built with a musical instrument lifespan expectancy which for me means only outboard tech barre a hex pickup for a midi guitar. Even old actives can be impossible to repair after support ends which is always long before the instrument is done.
I'd be lying if I said similar sentiment didn't affect Variax sales. It affects digital amp sales as well.

Not complaining—just nodding in agreement and shrugging a bit. :giggle:

I'd be lying if I said similar sentiment didn't affect Variax sales. It affects digital amp sales as well.

Not complaining—just nodding in agreement and shrugging a bit. :giggle:
Make the electronics modular, standard sized (across generations) and upgradable. Clip connectors for pots and switches and avoid using components that are unique to the product because we all know they are the first thing to condemn the product to the tip.

Make the electronics modular, standard sized (across generations) and upgradable. Clip connectors for pots and switches and avoid using components that are unique to the product because we all know they are the first thing to condemn the product to the tip.
Oh if it were that easy. All things we've discussed at length.

Variax is far from permanently dead, but any resurgence will need to be done very differently, yes.

I'm thinking about swapping out the pickups in my 335. I've watched a couple of videos and it seems like it ranks somewhere between being mildly difficult and an enormous pain in the ass. I it worth DIYing it, or should I pay a pro? The face of the guitar already looks like the surface of the moon, so I'm not worried about dings or scratches.

I'm thinking about swapping out the pickups in my 335. I've watched a couple of videos and it seems like it ranks somewhere between being mildly difficult and an enormous pain in the ass. I it worth DIYing it, or should I pay a pro? The face of the guitar already looks like the surface of the moon, so I'm not worried about dings or scratches.
If you do other stuff yourself I would have a go. If it is a 59 reissue it all has go through the F hole, no fun. If you take out the bridge pickup and the rout goes into the body it’s not really that difficult, you can just use rubber tubing to pull everything through.

If you do other stuff yourself I would have a go. If it is a 59 reissue it all has go through the F hole, no fun. If you take out the bridge pickup and the rout goes into the body it’s not really that difficult, you can just use rubber tubing to pull everything through.
It's a '69 or '70, so I'm not sure. I'll know once I pull the bridge pickup.

@Eagle do you have any recommendations on how to deal with one of these Floyd Rose style string retainers?

I’d rather not remove it, but it’s been quite a pain in the ass for tuning stability.

IMG_1952.jpeg

Loosen the screws until it hardly presses down. If that doesn’t work it’s got to go .
I have it backed out a good bit already. Blows my mind that they used one of these on this guitar. Even a Strat-style retainer would work much better.

I have it backed out a good bit already. Blows my mind that they used one of these on this guitar. Even a Strat-style retainer would work much better.
Yes , the next hard tail version had a lock nut and fine tuners. I suspect they learned that.

Back