Amp vs. Modeler anyone else notice this?

Yeah. I know that sound when it's not. That terrible bee buzzing sound.

nicolas cage bees GIF

Yes.
The more you listen the more your brain considers the sound as 'normal', aka break-in, this is an involuntary phenomenon, you can't bypass it, trick it or quicken the process, all you have to do is casually listen to the new system.
Also, your brain 'forgets' the sound if you don't use that particular system for some time.
It happens with Monitors, Guitar Cabs, Stereo Systems, PA Systems, etc. basically anything that reproduces sound.

Best advice?
Stick to favorite sound systems for the long term, like one favorite guitar cab and a good pair of studio monitors and listen to them often.
edit: and IRs too.
I'm very aware of this.

This is why I THINK my tones sound good, only to come back to them months later and wonder what the hell I was listening to, when I set them :LOL:

You had to go and stir up memories. My heart sinks when I think about my trademark 120 I had. Also I get pains in my lower back when I think about it lol

Man that thing came and went quickly didn't it?

Might not have made a difference, but, I think the fact that you couldn't find them anywhere, really hurt it.
I wanted to try one for a hot minute but they weren't available anywhere and they seemed to get discontinued almost immediately. Odd.

A bit stiff but fantastic amps. I swear mine weighed a lot more than my 73 Twin
I was talking about the Deuce. Trademark was before my modeling time though I have heard great things about them, historically.

A bit stiff but fantastic amps. I swear mine weighed a lot more than my 73 Twin

I actually liked the sound of my Trademark 60, a lot more than the 120. If you remember, the topology/controls were different. The 120's didn't weigh that much, a quick google search says 50 lbs.

I wanted to try one for a hot minute but they weren't available anywhere and they seemed to get discontinued almost immediately. Odd.
This also sounds like Godin, in the US. They have their dealers, but hell if I know where they are, or hell if they have a complete line in stock.

• Shrug
Reactions: JT
This also sounds like Godin, in the US. They have their dealers, but hell if I know where they are, or hell if they have a complete line in stock.
I don't think I have EVER seen a new Godin anywhere. Maybe a used one, once or twice tops in my time of playing guitar? :oops:

One thing I just discovered. I decided to play YouTube through my PA system for some homework I am doing. The music playing through the PA seems to have that same nasal quality to it. I checked the Master EQ and the channel strip EQ and it's all set flat like it has been. I'm thinking on top of what James said something's going on with my mixer. I'm going to factory reset it and see if the issue remains.

For the life of me I can't think of why my mixer would all of a sudden sound nasally no matter what I play through it. Definitely haven't touched the powered speakers because they just sit on milk crates on the floor.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: JT
I’d try shooting IR’s of your actual cab and using that to iron out the differences between the two.

That, and maybe use judicious Lo and Hi Cuts in the Cab Block.... otherwise we are
getting a bunch of freqs pouring out the PA that awould not make it through the
more focused spectrum of a Guitar Speaker/Cab setup.

One thing I just discovered. I decided to play YouTube through my PA system for some homework I am doing. The music playing through the PA seems to have that same nasal quality to it. I checked the Master EQ and the channel strip EQ and it's all set flat like it has been. I'm thinking on top of what James said something's going on with my mixer. I'm going to factory reset it and see if the issue remains.

For the life of me I can't think of why my mixer would all of a sudden sound nasally no matter what I play through it. Definitely haven't touched the powered speakers because they just sit on milk crates on the floor.

Do you have different DSP settings or dipswitches on the PA Speakers?

Do you have different DSP settings or dipswitches on the PA Speakers?

Yes and I checked that before I reset the mixer. The settings were all still what they should be. Nasal sound is gone BTW. Sounds normal again, at least with music. havent played guitar through it again yet.

Just chiming in - there is a difference between the sound we expect from a cabinet and amp in the room, and what we expect when listening to a record or hearing amps/modelers with IRs through monitors. They are not the same. The difference is what does it mean to you? Do you need the fuller wall shaking sound you get from a half stack roaring, or are you OK with a refined sound that is meant for PA / recorded audio?

That’s the difference iMO.

Back