Alex Lifeson breaks down the Limelight solo

This breakdown of the solo seems like 2 guitarists approaching things from a different perspective: AL on one hand, from just using his ear, and the interviewer from a theoretical standpoint. Like, "Why would you use that note, instead of this one?" "Because it sounds fine to me."

Cool, thanks for bringing that to our attention. I only had a chance to listen up until they started talking about the solo, so stillsome more to consume. I really enjoy listening to him in interviews. And I'm still waiting for Line6 to model a Club and Country in Helix. I didn't realize until listening to this that Holdsworth used one too. Add him to Lerxst and SRV--there must be something cool about the amp.

Excellent stuff! That looks like a Mesa Mark V or VII in the lower right.
I think he used a Mesa for his cleans for the last third or so of his touring years. In some "rig rundown" type thing I heard him mention Mesa Mark IV. So wouldn't be a surprise if he had some representitive of that series in his home setup. Also thought I saw a Bogner, which is interesting because I don't remember him ever mentioning one of those in reference to his live rig, or in the studio. But even though I'm a pretty big Rush nerd, I'm not encyclopedic about it.

Shit. I started watching this for the breakdown but was pleasantly surprised with an incredible interview and peak into the mind of Alex. What a cool dude.

Shiflett is a such class act as well.

Shit. I started watching this for the breakdown but was pleasantly surprised with an incredible interview and peak into the mind of Alex. What a cool dude.

Yeah, all three of the guys are/were extraordinarily cool dudes. I remember being a kid in the late 70s/early 80s absorbing their catalog to that point and thinking wow these must be some serious-minded all-business hombres. Then with the interwebs and all the material that became available from the mid-2000s onward I learned that in many ways, nothing could be further from the truth with regards to their personalities. And you can here it in their musicianship, I think. Alex flirting with fun craziness, Geddy relaxed but dialed in, and Neil driven. I feel blessed to have been their contemporary in a complementary role as a fan.

One of best solos ever!! Also Moving pictures happened to be the 1st concert I ever attended 1981 and I was in the 8th grade. Best and worst of times my brother called it -mostly best
Mom was very strict and finally green lighted a Rush show after shooting down Ozzy, Vh and many others. Then i had to sneak out to see many other shows until I got a car.

Anyhow the spill over on the last note is the ultimate climax of any solo ever!!

Alex Lifeson was the most sonically diverse, compelling, and varied guitarist of his generation.

Not even sure anyone was a close second in that regard. :idk

He went through so many different periods and phases----and sounded and played gloriously
through them all. :chef

Moving pictures happened to be the 1st concert I ever attended 1981 and I was in the 8th grade.
Same, but a sophmore in HS. 7 rows from the stage. I was in literal awe (and a maybe a bit drunk), and as such, I seriously convinced myself these guys weren't human. They must be from some other far more advanced planet!

Just getting to this vid. I'm 30 mins in and man, you gotta love Alex. Such a humble and awesome dude, would love to just hang out with him.
Not as familiar with Chris -- I'm not a big Foo Fighter follower, but he has an amazing voice for radio.

Back