Adventures in Fractal's Dual Rectifiers

MirrorProfiles

Shredder
I mentioned in the other thread about having to work a bit harder than I'd expect with the Fractal Rectifiers. I think they sound great, but the top end seems much softer than what I get from using the real amp.

To get things started......

Here is the real amp settings. B/M/T/P all at 5 (parallax making them look slightly different). Gain is at 6.5, master is about 1.8. Not exactly settings I'd use, but I think it sounds reasonable enough.
IMG_5534.jpg

Recording the amp with it hooked up to a Mesa Oversized Straight/Slant cabinet with 2002 V30's. Tapping the amp DI signal with an Ampete switcher.

Applying an IR on the real amp DI gives this:

So when comparing with FM-3, I decided to route directly into the main input. My reamp box is calibrated for my I/O and its going through the same reamp path as the real amp did. I used Recto1 Red and Recto2 Red Modern. I started with both at the same settings, lowered the bias a bit, turned the preamp LPF all the way up, and then tried not to tweak too far from the real settings. I used the 4x12 Recto Large impedance curve (which matches the response of my cabinet closest IIRC).
Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 17.09.50.png

Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 17.09.55.png

That yielded this for Recto1 Red:

and this for Recto2 Red Modern:

and just as a kind of "control", here is Helix's Rectifier. I started with settings all matching the amp and just fine tuned a little:
Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 17.12.40.png

which makes:

The Helix definitely has some signs of its trademark fizz on the top end. I believe both the Helix model, and also Fractal's Recto2 Red Modern are from a 3 channel rectifier. In my experience, its quite possible to match the tone of the real amps very close if you are careful with settings.

Even with the presence on 10 and the treble dial turned up high, the Fractal Rectifier isn't giving me the same amount of top end as the real deal. I don't think its simply a case of pot tolerances, circuit variations, or different impedance curves causing such a wild difference. I'm not saying it isn't user error either, but I'd love to determine where the difference is.

Higher quality audio can be listened to and downloaded here. I also included the amp DI signal, and guitar DI (11.4dBu input headroom) which can be downloaded if anyone wants to try matching the Fractal Rectifiers to the real amp tone.

There is also a NAM model made of the real amp with this chain: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xonm...Test.nam?rlkey=3yseofmj1s6z65d3fsiqbpige&dl=0
Screenshot 2023-12-07 at 17.20.28.png

Would be AWESOME if we're able to get these Rectifier models to match closer.

This is eerily similar to the things I've been saying about the Satriani JVM. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. Very interesting.
I’ve had this feeling that a few Fractal models seem a bit dark. The JVM and JVM Satriani were both models I never struggled for top end with the real amps, but I seem to have to work harder with the Fractal models.

Wonder if @texhex fancies comparing his new JVM 🤔

I’ve had this feeling that a few Fractal models seem a bit dark. The JVM and JVM Satriani were both models I never struggled for top end with the real amps, but I seem to have to work harder with the Fractal models.

Fractal is darker than any other digital device I've compared it to. Same IRs as well across the units

I'm all for furthering any and all discussion of Rectifier models and possible improvements as they're I've been using in the Fractal since 2013 or so. Recto 2 Red Modern or GTFO.

I mentioned in the other thread about having to work a bit harder than I'd expect with the Fractal Rectifiers. I think they sound great, but the top end seems much softer than what I get from using the real amp.

To get things started......

Here is the real amp settings. B/M/T/P all at 5 (parallax making them look slightly different). Gain is at 6.5, master is about 1.8. Not exactly settings I'd use, but I think it sounds reasonable enough.
View attachment 15283

Recording the amp with it hooked up to a Mesa Oversized Straight/Slant cabinet with 2002 V30's. Tapping the amp DI signal with an Ampete switcher.

Applying an IR on the real amp DI gives this:

So when comparing with FM-3, I decided to route directly into the main input. My reamp box is calibrated for my I/O and its going through the same reamp path as the real amp did. I used Recto1 Red and Recto2 Red Modern. I started with both at the same settings, lowered the bias a bit, turned the preamp LPF all the way up, and then tried not to tweak too far from the real settings. I used the 4x12 Recto Large impedance curve (which matches the response of my cabinet closest IIRC).
View attachment 15284
View attachment 15285

That yielded this for Recto1 Red:

and this for Recto2 Red Modern:

and just as a kind of "control", here is Helix's Rectifier. I started with settings all matching the amp and just fine tuned a little:
View attachment 15286
which makes:

The Helix definitely has some signs of its trademark fizz on the top end. I believe both the Helix model, and also Fractal's Recto2 Red Modern are from a 3 channel rectifier. In my experience, its quite possible to match the tone of the real amps very close if you are careful with settings.

Even with the presence on 10 and the treble dial turned up high, the Fractal Rectifier isn't giving me the same amount of top end as the real deal. I don't think its simply a case of pot tolerances, circuit variations, or different impedance curves causing such a wild difference. I'm not saying it isn't user error either, but I'd love to determine where the difference is.

Higher quality audio can be listened to and downloaded here. I also included the amp DI signal, and guitar DI (11.4dBu input headroom) which can be downloaded if anyone wants to try matching the Fractal Rectifiers to the real amp tone.

There is also a NAM model made of the real amp with this chain: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xonm...Test.nam?rlkey=3yseofmj1s6z65d3fsiqbpige&dl=0
View attachment 15287

Would be AWESOME if we're able to get these Rectifier models to match closer.

IMO they are all good tones but matching your original real amp tone the Helix wins here yes it may lack a bit of low chunk but the gain character and fizz are pretty damn close

I can, maybe this weekend. I just was messing with that actually. :facepalm I'm not expecting the models to match the amp though, they never do in my experience.

I've also got a multi-watt dual recto, same as in the axe that I'd like to compare. That thing has to be a real bitch, just based on how much the master volume changes the tone.

I've found the Fractals are usually darker across the board. Every amp I've ever tried, the Fractal is darker.

However... when I tone matched the BE-100, the controls on the tone matched model worked exactly like the BMT controls on the amp. I did need to tone match the amp first to get the model close. But it proved that the tone controls are modeled correctly.

I think there's just too much going on from amp to amp to get an exact working copy of all of the controls to match any one amp like for like (meaning I set my amp like this and I set the AXE the exact same and they sound identical), other than that amp that is being modeled.

I can, maybe this weekend. I just was messing with that actually. :facepalm I'm not expecting the models to match the amp though, they never do in my experience.

I've also got a multi-watt dual recto, same as in the axe that I'd like to compare. That thing has to be a real bitch, just based on how much the master volume changes the tone.

I've found the Fractals are usually darker across the board. Every amp I've ever tried, the Fractal is darker.

However... when I tone matched the BE-100, the controls on the tone matched model worked exactly like the BMT controls on the amp. I did need to tone match the amp first to get the model close. But it proved that the tone controls are modeled correctly.

I think there's just too much going on from amp to amp to get an exact working copy of all of the controls to match any one amp like for like (meaning I set my amp like this and I set the AXE the exact same and they sound identical), other than that amp that is being modeled.
Are you able to test with some cab's providing the load? I think that is the best way if possible, although a good reactive load makes it easier too.

I'm just curious if this Fractal=darker thing is across the board, rather than in a kind of medium "some amps are brighter, some are darker" way. Just speculating, but maybe something about the way the amps are being modelled is resulting in the amps showing as accurate because the testing method isn't exposing those frequencies the way real cabs do.

Generally I feel like I'm able to get most amps fairly close to the models on most platforms. USUALLY that means the ones that stick out are quite easy to idenify...

Preamp page -> "High Cut Frequency" max it.
Speaker page -> "HF Reso" turn it up.
I already cranked the High Cut Frequency all the way to the max (I do this quite a lot whenever I find an amp to sound darker).

I've wondered about the HF Reso control because thats where I imagine the differences lay. Im just not sure if I'm going to make things weird by adjusting that....(I'd hope the default values give an accurate starting point). Will test that now, also going to try a 5150 and possibly BE100 or Uber.

Are you able to test with some cab's providing the load? I think that is the best way if possible, although a good reactive load makes it easier too.

I'm just curious if this Fractal=darker thing is across the board, rather than in a kind of medium "some amps are brighter, some are darker" way. Just speculating, but maybe something about the way the amps are being modelled is resulting in the amps showing as accurate because the testing method isn't exposing those frequencies the way real cabs do.

Generally I feel like I'm able to get most amps fairly close to the models on most platforms. USUALLY that means the ones that stick out are quite easy to idenify...

I'd be using a Suhr RL and an IR. Wonder what would happen if I hooked up a cab and the Suhr RL (8ohm + 8ohm from the 4ohm outputs on the amp) at the same time? Yeah... not trying that but it would be interesting.

Cliff already blew me up once for not using a decent reactive load...

No sizzle in the Fractal.
Preamp page -> "High Cut Frequency" max it.
Speaker page -> "HF Reso" turn it up.

Also added to the Samply link in OP. Definitely closer as you'd expect. Kind of curious what that HF Reso value relates to, and why (maybe) it isn't at 10 to begin with. Even at 10 I dont think its quite right but its obviously a big step in the right direction.

Back