About to drop our first demo on Bandcamp: any advice?

Iron1

Shredder
TGF Recording Artist
Excited that we're about to drop our first demo tomorrow. We're going the Bandcamp route for a variety of reasons. From Restless Records to DistroKid to Bandcamp - not sure if I'm going the right direction, but YOLO, right?

Since I've not done much with BandCamp in the past, thought I'd see if any of you wise sages have any valuable advice before we pull the trigger.

TIA!

Image for those who need pictures with their words (>cough< @FuzzyAce >cough<)

n14APQB.jpg

Excited that we're about to drop our first demo tomorrow. We're going the Bandcamp route for a variety of reasons. From Restless Records to DistroKid to Bandcamp - not sure if I'm going the right direction, but YOLO, right?

Since I've not done much with BandCamp in the past, thought I'd see if any of you wise sages have any valuable advice before we pull the trigger.

TIA!

Image for those who need pictures with their words (>cough< @FuzzyAce >cough<)

n14APQB.jpg
Thanks for the pic Iron. :grin

Best of luck with the release!
Advice? hmmm...
I'm probably not the best for that, but of course marketing is everything. Socials, etc, etc, exposure, the occasional chili dog promo doesn't hurt. Look what it did for these guys-- see Achilles thread:
https://thegearforum.com/threads/everyone-starts-at-the-bottom.4116/

hahahaha if its anything like our experience there prepare for a big fat nothing to happen.

our merch and CDs sell great at our shows, no luck so far on bandcamp.

hahahaha if its anything like our experience there prepare for a big fat nothing to happen.

our merch and CDs sell great at our shows, no luck so far on bandcamp.
Thanks - we have zero illusions we'll make any money, but don't really care about that. We just want to create music someone - anyone - enjoys and have fun making it and gigging. We decided to go the Bandcamp route with this one as the music is in the doom/death/whatever vein and allegedly a lot of doom fans flock to Bandcamp for new bands... we shall see...
I've used bandcamp for years, but never in active/professional setting.

It's just an easy way for friends and family to listen or download my music.

Best of luck brother!
If that's all we get, then we won't complain. Certainly can't be as bad as Soundcloud... 🤣
I say enjoy the process. Enjoy the release. Love your own music for its own sake, and no other reason.

The end! :LOL:
Amen - the drummer and I are both having fun and enjoy what we've created so far. Can't ask for much else than that these days.
@Iron1
Dig the album cover image, the title, and band name/graphic. Not the biggest fan of the font you use with the title though. Bit dated?
Thanks! That's good feedback. Honestly, I've been iffy on that font, but it's the best match in my font library right now. Normally, I'd go on a font hunt for something new, but right now "this is just a demo" has been the mantra of not killing ourselves with the law of diminishing returns. But, after reading your comment, chances are I'll be on dafont.com by day's end... 🤣

Ultimately, we're hoping releasing the demo makes it easier to find a guitar player to join us. We connected with a guy recently who just might work out, but we decided to move forward with releasing this anyway, just in case...

As far as actual Bandcamp advice, does anyone see value in uploading lyric sheets, additional liner note beyond the normal Track Listing/Band Roll Call/Thanks/Indicia stuff?

Well, that didn't take long,

Well, now I'm in. :grin Your band image is a striking color in contrast to the winter scene of all whites, blacks, and darker shades of grey/green/brown.
And it's only hinted at in the image with the small fires?

The title is now also white, but whiter than anything else. 100% honest? Yuk. Maybe try either the reddish/brown that's hinted at in the yellow borders or the orange/red/yellow sky in the blue border? Hope I'm not overstepping here. :rofl

qnuDLwH.jpg

The white in the title is actually pulled from the white spot just above the "ER" in Vinter. But, let me play with it and upload another option or three...

Maybe try a version with the title under your bandname, but shrunk down in the off white.
:sofa

Back