4x12

I have to admit… I’ve never been a fan of 4x12 cabs.

I actually used to do two 2x12’s instead.

Even with IRs I never use 4x12 IRs, I always use either 2x12 or 1x12.

When I do the 80s hard rock/metal thing my go-to IR is usually a 112 Celestion Blue :bag

I guess I’ve always liked more mids and airy openness more than the punch and depth of a 4x12

Last edited:
My dilemma is a 4x12 is never going to leave the house with the transportation I have and a good 2x12 (Engl E212VHB) is more versatile and manageable for my specific needs.
The Engl 2x12 is front loaded and has a Mono/L/R switch, so I can easily swap speakers and switch between the two independently, it has removable metal grille, plus it has superb build quality and materials, very tempted.

I am a 2 x 12 lover and supporter (open, closed, semi-open)---and have been for a long time.
4 x 12s are great, but just total overkill in the majourity of live settings, and honestly never sound
as good (mids anyone!!) as a nice 2 x 12 in the rooms I have played in.

As I mentioned in this thread elsewhere... a 4 x 12 (ime) needs a lot of space to breathe and that is
usually on big(ish) stages.

Is that an old Carvin 4x12
Yes it is. The middle is the letter A I drew in with a paint marker. I bought it for $80 from a drummer who thought it was broken because it wasn't wired correctly. Wired it up and it worked fine except it had a a rip in one speaker.

p.png

Honestly the 2x12 was more present and audible compared to the 4x12, which just sounded big.

Always happy to see another New Englander around! I’m in Florida now, but grew up in Maine, lived in NH and Mass, spent 5 years in South Shore Mass, Rockland/Hull/Weymouth area.

Spent most of my life in Concord NH and some surrounding towns. Worked in Boston area for many years. NM East Mountains the last 3 years and still cant used to it. Lived in St Pete FL from 90-92. Ybor City was a certified war zone then. I heard it's much better now.

Last edited:
Yes it is. The middle is the letter A I drew in with a paint marker. I bought it for $80 from a drummer who thought it was broken because it wasn't wired correctly. Wired it up and it worked fine except it had a a rip in one speaker.

p.png

Honestly the 2x12 was more present and audible compared to the 4x12, which just sounded big.

Nostalgia is hittin' hard!

Spent most of my life in Concord NH and some surrounding towns. Worked in Boston area for many years. NM East Mountains the last 3 years and still cant used to it. Lived in St Pete FL from 90-92. Ybor City was a certified war zone then. I heard it's much better now.

I've got family on Concord! I've spent very little time on the West coast of Florida, Winter Haven is as far as I've gotten. This state gets really different the further north you travel. I lived in Palm Bay for a while and my sister was in Ocala for a while, I'm all set down here in South Florida. Those areas are where Florida Man lives. :rofl
Funny, I grew up in Florida and moved the New England. I’m in the MetroWest area, between Boston and Worcester.

Grew up going to the Centrum! Last time I was there was for Pantera in '01 and I got my ribs cracked on the front row barrier at a Korn/Rob Zombie show in high school there. :LOL: Around '07/'08 I was gigging in that area at any bar that had bands play, I can't remember a single name because I was more of a patron than a performer back then.

You mean you saw Slayer there. LOL

I know how blasphemous this is, but I've seen Slayer about 5 times now, I've only sat through two of the shows; that one and their farewell tour. And I only sat through them at the Pantera show because they played before Pantera. :LOL:

I wasn't a Slayer fan for a LONG time, I always preferred something with a bit more melody/hook to it, I love them now, but yeah....I sat through them at that show. :rofl

I know how blasphemous this is, but I've seen Slayer about 5 times now, I've only sat through two of the shows; that one and their farewell tour. And I only sat through them at the Pantera show because they played before Pantera. :LOL:

I wasn't a Slayer fan for a LONG time, I always preferred something with a bit more melody/hook to it, I love them now, but yeah....I sat through them at that show. :rofl

I had to work that night. I did see Pantera in 92 though opening for Skid Row at Tsongas Arena. Watching Skid Row after Pantera's set was like watching Air Supply immediately after AC/DC.

I had to work that night. I did see Pantera in 92 though opening for Skid Row at Tsongas Arena. Watching Skid Row after Pantera's set was like watching Air Supply immediately after AC/DC.

Ahhhh bummer!!! That was the 2nd time I saw them on that tour, the first was in Lewiston, ME (my home town). I saw AIC/Deftones/Mastodon at the Tsongas, I’ve seen AIC 5-6 times now with Will (never with Layne :confused:) and while Cantrell’s tone is always massive, the best I’ve heard it yet was at Tsongas. He was f*ckin’ CRANKED in the PA and it was GLORIOUS.

I love them, but I’m done with them.

While they sound huge, only if you’re in the right spot. They are beamy and have pretty narrow coverage. If you’re playing a wide stage or move around much, you don’t need a 4x12, you need 3 4x12s. One of them is already too much trouble to lug around, multiples is a bridge too far for me.

D

I feel you.
I've bought a 2x12 not a long time ago because I wanted to go back to real cabs.
I've bought it telling myself that a 2x12 was enough but truth is I still want a 4x12.

In the end I regret selling my beloved engl 4x12.

There's no substitute for a 4x12.
Stereo pair of 2x12s here.

Stereo pair of 2x12s here.

Never tried that and always wanted to. Maybe I'll add a second 2x12 instead of going back to a 4x12. We'll see.
Not the same thing but I have 2 2x12 "FRFR" cabs and they obviously sound bigger than a single one.

I want to try a vertical 2x12 but I also think I will regret not getting a 4x12.
It will not be moved around much so I don't mind the extra weight or size and it's important for me that it's standard (traditional) size 4x12 especially for creating IRs.

I had only 2x12’s in my studio for a long time but last year got rid of them all in favor for a couple of 4x12’s. Best gear decision in a long time. I was like ohh yeah I was really missing a 4x12 sound. Even when I have to play at lower volumes you still get a nice but not overbearing low end when a 2x12 or 1x12 would thin out. If I was consistently gigging at different venues then I probably just use a 2x12 for ease of carting around but man a 4x12 is hard to beat.

Back