4th Kemper, Why, but Also Yes

Stage would be a good pickup.

I've said before, but the Kemper is really a cool and unique device. I really like having all the knobs and buttons right up at my fingertips otherwise I would have got a Stage.

I've got all kinds of MBritt profiles, but his 2023 profiles are really awesome. The earliest ones were kind of dark sounding, then the later ones were too bright, these are nice in between. I've been playing a Marshall Studio Vintage profile of his for the last couple days, just turning the gain up and down and adding a couple effects.

One thing that's really frustrating is the USB connection stability with Rig Manager. The new USB audio function is really useful and I've used it a lot for recording and reamping with only a couple issues. But Rig Manager loses its USB connection to the Kemper, and then I have to physically unplug it and plug it back in.

Oddly enough, using WiFi editing with an iPad is flawless and really awesome. It's honestly a better experience in some ways than using HX Edit or Axe Edit on a PC. It's very responsive and looks/feels great. Only downside is I can't browse rigs from my computer, which is a bummer. It's funny that this is so stable because the Kemper Toaster doesn't have WiFi built in, so I bought a $20 WiFi adapter and hooked it up to the onboard ethernet (and extra USB plug for power), and it's just rock solid.

Before I ordered the new one I had asked the guy I sold the old one to if he was interested in selling it back and he said he was on out tour with it. I feel like such a dunce for selling it in the first place, oh well. :rofl

The new one shows up Tuesday and I have to admit I’m really looking forward to it. It really shows it’s age that you can only load 4 effects before and after the amp and cab but I don’t use more than that ever anyway so that’s not a big deal. I can’t believe how well Kemper keeps supporting this platform. I rewatched the Tone Junkie interview with Christof and the stuff coming in the future releases looks pretty sick.

I just remembered how cool the mobile device editor is for this thing. Nice if you have the unit on the floor or out of reach or don’t want to sit in front of your computer.

Stage would be a good pickup.

I've said before, but the Kemper is really a cool and unique device. I really like having all the knobs and buttons right up at my fingertips otherwise I would have got a Stage.

I've got all kinds of MBritt profiles, but his 2023 profiles are really awesome. The earliest ones were kind of dark sounding, then the later ones were too bright, these are nice in between. I've been playing a Marshall Studio Vintage profile of his for the last couple days, just turning the gain up and down and adding a couple effects.

One thing that's really frustrating is the USB connection stability with Rig Manager. The new USB audio function is really useful and I've used it a lot for recording and reamping with only a couple issues. But Rig Manager loses its USB connection to the Kemper, and then I have to physically unplug it and plug it back in.

Oddly enough, using WiFi editing with an iPad is flawless and really awesome. It's honestly a better experience in some ways than using HX Edit or Axe Edit on a PC. It's very responsive and looks/feels great. Only downside is I can't browse rigs from my computer, which is a bummer. It's funny that this is so stable because the Kemper Toaster doesn't have WiFi built in, so I bought a $20 WiFi adapter and hooked it up to the onboard ethernet (and extra USB plug for power), and it's just rock solid.

That’s a bummer. I’ve never had a problem with USB connectivity on PC in Rig Manager in over 3 years of almost daily use. Have you tried a different cable or even on a different computer or maybe an addin PCI USB card?

You know what time it is!

EjkqDSb.jpg

Everything was cool until I upgraded to OS 9.0.5. Looks like there is a bug in OS 9.0.5 related to the LED lamp controls.

When it's running OS 9.0.5 the first 6 LED lights on the left side of the Gain knob, randomly turn on and off and also dim on and off in different Rigs. The LED above the Delay button also does the same thing and is in sync with the Gain LEDs. This is after a factory reset, using stock Rigs with nothing but the power cord plugged in. Also the Tap light continues to flash even when it's LED setting is set to zero in System settings.

When I flash back to OS 8.7.20 everything works perfectly. All LED lights work exactly the way they should including the controls for the Tap light.

I opened a support case with Kemper, we shall see how it goes. Staying on the previous release for now.

Unit sounds great though. :idk

Everything was cool until I upgraded to OS 9.0.5. Looks like there is a bug in OS 9.0.5 related to the LED lamp controls.

When it's running OS 9.0.5 the first 6 LED lights on the left side of the Gain knob, randomly turn on and off and also dim on and off in different Rigs. The LED above the Delay button also does the same thing and is in sync with the Gain LEDs. This is after a factory reset, using stock Rigs with nothing but the power cord plugged in. Also the Tap light continues to flash even when it's LED setting is set to zero in System settings.

When I flash back to OS 8.7.20 everything works perfectly. All LED lights work exactly the way they should including the controls for the Tap light.

I opened a support case with Kemper, we shall see how it goes. Staying on the previous release for now.

What profiles you slamming?

Looks like I may have a defective unit. It's doing the same thing on 8.7.2. It doesn't start doing this until after about 30 minutes or so. I've emailed support and will contact Sweetwater Monday. Bummer.

I didn't want to say before because I have a habit of being a bit anti-Kemper at the moment... but I bought a Stage ... it turned up.... had weird ground hum in every single place I tried it, unless I had my Boss tuner before it... then it was fine. So I got a replacement.... same thing. Then I got a 3rd replacement... SAME FUCKING THING.

I upgraded my order to a head and remote footswitch at the time... and that didn't have the problem. So no, I didn't have a good experience with the Stage. I really wanted to love it at the time.

Mine had LED issues too. The LED that’s one or two left of center we’re stuck and simply lit. Restarting fixed for that session but won’t be surprised if it comes back.

Kemper is cool but buggy.

No issues with my Stage. All working great. On month #2 now and 7 gigs and 4 rehearsals.
This has worked much better and more reliable that my last 2 Kemper units years back.

Now I remember why I sold this the last time. Tonex just makes better copies of the amp… period. No liquid profile is going to lure me into one of these again. Sorry Kemper, back you go.
Sometimes you just need a reminder! Good idea buying from a retailer you can return to

Back