3.9 Khz Cut

Stone

Rock Star
Ran across this post at the other place
anyone here have any insight on this ?

Ran across this post at the other place
anyone here have any insight on this ?

Yeah, this is right around the ‘fizz’ area that gets a lot of complaints when people experience modeling for the first time. What’s funny is that it’s present with regular amps but you don’t hear it as much with a cab in the room until you stick a mic in front of it, especially a mic direct on the speaker, closer to the cap, instead of angled.

So it’s not too surprising when an IR is loaded up and that sound is present, because the whole tone-under-a-microscope thing. It can be useful in a mix to help the guitars stand out, but it’s not a necessity. It’s there between 3.9 and 4.5, in my experience.

So best to cut at around those frequencies For recording or also when playing in your room ?
Ill def try it out after work today

4k is right around the most sensitive part of the ear, so I wouldn't be surprised if cutting there helps to reduce fizz.

One of the things with "amp in the room" is that, when you're in the room away from a sound source, the high end will naturally roll off. This is an effect called "diffuse field". That may be another reason why sticking a mic right on the speaker of an amp tends to sound a lot brighter than just standing in the room listening to the amp.

That diffuse field effect may also be part of the reason we like to roll off the high end in impulses, although guitar speakers naturally roll off around 5k anyway. But usually you aren't rolling off frequencies down to 3k which would make it sound too dark, so it may make more sense to have a cut around that 4k frequency instead.

I love 4k …

Red Sox Magic Number GIF by NBC Sports Boston

It's the peak of the Fletcher Munson curve. Human ears are most sensitive at this frequency, ESPECIALLY AT LOWER VOLUMES. As you get louder the relative sensitivity decreases.

That’s interesting. I just tried this, to good effect using, with my amp, and I don’t play at unreasonably loud volumes. That may explain it.

So best to cut at around those frequencies For recording or also when playing in your room ?
Ill def try it out after work today

Give it a shot. I just tried it with my amp and cab rig (Using a para eq) and it worked pretty well. Didn’t roll off much, just to the point it took an edge off.

I’ve settled on completely subtractive EQ moves since mixing in a para eq with my amp/cab rib.

Low cut around 100, High Cut around 12k, pull back just a touch around 250, and then just tried this pull back around 4k. Much cleaner tone. You don’t realize it until you turn the EQ off and then wonder how you loved the tone before that. :ROFLMAO:

I was shocked to see someone or other in the recent Fractal Gift of Tone Series had a Para EQ slightly boosting
in that 3-4kHz range.

I won't say who to protect the innocent. :LOL:

I tried this with my Empress ParaEQ in the loop on my amp. (I’m between modelers :ROFLMAO:)

Moderate q, and just a small reduction, maybe 2db.

Oh god. I had feared that you would mention the ParaEQ. Its subtractive Baxendale style EQ just makes so much sense; and Empress build decent shit.

MUST NOT BUY.... Must be strong .... must stay strong.

I could walk to the Empress building from here... that's what makes this SO MUCH WORSE!

I can feel those EQs are nearby. Thousands of them... just sitting there all cozy in their cute lil' boxes... begging to be let out to play. 😭

Whose screenshot is that? We all know you don't have a Fractal. Yet. :idk

Yes Yet is the Keyword lol
Have to admit I much prefer seeing the Q Bell curve as a graphical representation in the Frequency as opposed to just bars and Lines
But whatever Works :guiness

1672871373250.png

Back