3.9 Khz Cut

2 kHz is the sensitive area for me. Strat, Fender tones, mic on a cab tones, modern FRFRs that seem to be built for vocal intelligibility is like a recipe for build up in that area..

Be gone glassy ice picks.

20231113_113246.jpg

Sorry if this has been asked before. But where do these whistles come from? I'd like to think it may be the IR. When I switch to different IRs, some have them and some don't or they are at different frequencies. Is it some combo of amp settings plus IR that just results in a resonance of frequencies like how mics need to be rung out in different rooms? I was going down the rabbit hole last night and I even saw a fractal thread where Cliff found his pickups to be a source of ringing. I guess I haven't ruled out my pups either.

There's a few places. In the real world, pickups often have a loaded resonant peak somewhere between 2 & 5k. Another one is physical resonance in the speakers & reflections from the metal frame legs, for example. 12" guitar speakers often have a ring around 2.5-3k, because they all have roughly the same dimensions. Then there's resonances in the microphone used.

There's also a reality of distortion - it adds overtones. On guitar the fundamentals are all in the hundreds or low thousands of hz, so the 5th and 2nd octave harmonics for a lot of the instrument get emphasised by distortion and end up falling in that same upper midrange area.

I do think IRs make them worse, purely based on my experience of using them. It feels like they make resonant peaks more prone to ringing than they are in real life.

An IR could only make it happen if the real speaker/ mic combo has it. We've been doing the whistler trick in audio recording since long long long before there was viable digital recording or signal processing

Back