3.9 Khz Cut

Oh god. I had feared that you would mention the ParaEQ. It subtractive Baxendale style EQ just makes so much sense; and Empress build decent s**t.

MUST NOT BUY.... Must be strong .... must stay strong.

Yeah I refused to pay the ransom the discontinued versions were going for used, so when they announced the new ones I jumped all over it. Didn’t hurt it coincided with the Black Friday sale too.

It’s like the least sexy gear purchase you can make, but I totally love it now. It’s perfect for just tightening everything up. It’s actually not bad either in front of the amp using the boost and sculpting your own OD, but I just keep it in the loop cleaning things up.

I've been hatin on that fizz for so long, yet all's I ever heard was do a high cut in the cab block. This makes so much more sense!

I’m always boosting that band on tube amps. LOL. Like some sizzle on distorted guitars. Modelers/"FRFR" often need a notch and/or roll off. I’d rather it be there and sculpt it for my IRs. I like Yorks IRs because they don’t try to pre-roll off the high end too hard.

Reminds me a huge lot of the Katana!

Out of the box, it sounds great at low volume, but there's fizz when playing at loud band rehearsal levels.

After applying a high cut at 5 khz it sounds just like any great amp.

If it’s a spike or peak to a certain level I don’t mind it being there, I just view it as a “close mic” type of thing.

But when the shit turns into a whistle I’m done. I’m super sensitive to the whistle… and it takes me half a second for my brain to lock in on it and then my brain won’t let it go. If I hear it in a A chord, I’m out…

with Helix I’ve found certain amp models and certain cabs that I couldn’t use. With the old stock cabs I needed to filter through the cabs in Logic to find which mic and cab combination that had the least of the “whistle”. One of them was the Uber V30 with R160 at 3” distance. Once that was done I choose amp models that pleased my senses.

For my weird ears all this was going on around 2,8-3,2khz with Helix. And it may just be that… my ears.

I did the same with York IRs, which was generally well behaved but had more low and high content than the stock cabs. The new helix cabs is definitely an improvement in the whistle department…

Amplitube, many stock cabs are whistling to me, may also be some amps.
TH-U: old stock cab block is horrible, rig player and supercabinet is better, much better.
Guitar Rig 6, very much improved over the previous versions. (An underrated plugin imho) my favorite at the moment.
Neural: have to give them a nod for the lack of whistle…

Yeah… I have a whistle problem.

Here's what I posted over there:

There are no "magic" frequencies, but there are frequency ranges where certain types of problematic sounds lie. The range where "fizzy"sounds from distortion-generating devices generally lie is ca. 3.5-4.5kHz. This is true regardless of the type of source: tube amp, stompbox, or digital model thereof. It may seem more obvious when you play a modeler, because you can generate much higher levels of distortion at modest volumes than you can with a tube amp, but it's there with tube amps nonetheless.
There is no single frequency you can cut to reliably address this - every device and model will be different - but there is a simple procedure to identify the frequencies you need to attenuate.
1. Place a parametric equalizer in the signal chain after the distortion-generating components. If you're using a tube amp, you'll need to do this to the mic'ed/recorded signal from the amp.
2. Set Q to a modest value, say 4, frequency to something just above 3kHz, and level to substantial boost (ca. 6dB or more).
3. Sweep the frequency range upward until you've maximized the effect and gone past the peak, then set it back to the frequency where it is at a maximum.
4. Increase Q to ca. 6 and fine-tune frequency to narrow down the location of the peak.
5. Bring the level down past zero, and increase cut just enough to clean up the effect. Don't overdo this.
That's it.

Welp I took a break from playing for awhile with little gigs lately. Fired up my rig and played a bit. I couldn’t help but hear a whistle type harshness behind the notes. I swept around and then had to notch out around 1.8 kHz. Wild. When a/b, it’s like night and day. I can even hear it clean. Now I don’t even know how I played my preset with that whistle before lol.

It's more of a problem with amp modelling than real amps. I went years recording with real amps and never had to do more than an occasional notch now and then. Switched to amp modelling & IRs and for about 3 years multiple deep notch cuts between 2 & 4k became a standard part of my life, to the point that they basically ruined everything - There'd always be one more whistle tone to remove, until the tone baby was thrown out with the whistle bathwater.

Switched back to real amps, and once again it's much less of an issue. I hate IRs.

I love 4k …

Red Sox Magic Number GIF by NBC Sports Boston

HAHA that's Lou Merloni. A local boy from my old part of the woods who went Pro for the Red Sox.

Sorry if this has been asked before. But where do these whistles come from? I'd like to think it may be the IR. When I switch to different IRs, some have them and some don't or they are at different frequencies. Is it some combo of amp settings plus IR that just results in a resonance of frequencies like how mics need to be rung out in different rooms? I was going down the rabbit hole last night and I even saw a fractal thread where Cliff found his pickups to be a source of ringing. I guess I haven't ruled out my pups either.

Interesting trivia: The 3-way "presence switch" in the Sennheiser 906 is boosting/cutting the upper mids at 4.2kHz - basically a hardware version of what the guy quoted in the OP does with a parametric eq.

It ain't just modelers. I have a Empress Para-EQ and have about a 2 dB cut with a tight Q right around the same area. Need it to cut the ice picky overtones. Regardless the amp, it's always the same spot.

I often end up cutting 2k as well, and 250-450hz for mud removal.

2khz all day if you're tracking and have a vocalist (or in a band) as that's right in the sweet spot for the human voice. Low mids is purely a case by case situation for me. Sure, that's the stereo typical mud zone in a mix but it's also where a lot of body in electric guitar lives especially when playing higher gain stuff.

Back