My CD collection exploded once I learned of Columbia House Music Club!! Haha.

Dude. Memories. lol

I begged my parents for months to subscribe to that for me. What was it, like 11 cds + a 12th for 1c, and then you had to buy one a month for a year or something? I’m sure my parents ate the rest of the cost but I still remember opening up that first box full of cds.

Trying to think of what I got in that first package… Alice N Chains Dirt, Singles soundtrack, White Zombie La Sexorcisto, PJ Versus

Try explaining that sort of service to a kid today. “Ya see, music came in a physical medium, and we ordered via mail, and received it 6 weeks later” :rofl

My Columbia memories are from the cassette tape era.

I remember using up most of the 11 choices with five Van Halen albums (I already had 1984 on vinyl).

I had a little suitcase for them all, carried it around with my Sony Walkman. :)

Dude. Memories. lol

I begged my parents for months to subscribe to that for me. What was it, like 11 cds + a 12th for 1c, and then you had to buy one a month for a year or something? I’m sure my parents ate the rest of the cost but I still remember opening up that first box full of cds.

Trying to think of what I got in that first package… Alice N Chains Dirt, Singles soundtrack, White Zombie La Sexorcisto, PJ Versus

Try explaining that sort of service to a kid today. “Ya see, music came in a physical medium, and we ordered via mail, and received it 6 weeks later” :rofl
Yeah, it was like buy one CD at full price, get another 10-12 for a penny each or something like that. And then you had to buy a certain number of CDs at full price over the months. (I think they might have been auto-shipped and auto-charged or something).

I don’t remember the details. But i do remember signing up for me, and then my sister, lol, so I got like 20 CDs right off the bat, then my parents getting mad at charges later, LOL>

Kirk's solo quality went down because the music he was soloing over took a nosedive. His leads up through AJFA were killer to me. Once he had more space and room to move; he was out of his element.
Master Of Puppets is peak Kirk. For me. There is just so much great lead playing
and nary a Wah in sight. ;)

It also may be peak Metallica. For me.

They lost so much when Cliff passed. And it shows on And Justice For All. I can
barely make it through that album. Just feels self-indulgent. And the lack of a
"bass player" and the production is super tough for me.

Hate to say it, but a HUGE part of Metallica died in 1986. :(

Master Of Puppets is peak Kirk. For me. There is just so much great lead playing
and nary a Wah in sight. ;)

It also may be peak Metallica. For me.

They lost so much when Cliff passed. And it shows on And Justice For All. I can
barely make it through that album. Just feels self-indulgent. And the lack of a
"bass player" and the production is super tough for me.

Hate to say it, but a HUGE part of Metallica died in 1986. :(
Agreed generally speaking. AJFA took a bit of work on my end. But I LOVED all the riff salad happening. Just missing that bass :(

MoP is their peak for also for me but I really, really like AJFA as is, with its lack of bass and the long songs.
It's a unique piece of art to my ears.

Reactions: JT
B8A96D62-7044-45BD-9281-9316F9EB856F.jpeg

Yep. Master of Puppets drew me in and remains my favorite Metallica album of all.

Killer riffs and playing.

The video for "One" was a huge turning point for me. Up to that point I'd listened to some thrash, but nothing on that level of physical or harmonic technical level....

...and then came the Black album. By that point I'd found MoP and Ride the Lightening, plus Testament and Sepultura on the thrash side...

...and The Cult's Firewoman, Danzig, GnR, the first Alicen chains album, etc., In terms of "it rocks hard, but isn't metal"...

...and Queensryche and Fates Warning on the "not thrash, but still kinda progressive-ish heavy music"...

I just didn't quite get where the Black Album was supposed to fit, because it didn't seem as good as the really good stuff in any of the categories in which it might be placed. For me, it felt like a band that was playing catch-up when. My whole understanding of the band up to that point was cutting-edge.

I still remember how cassettes smelled. As for the “end” of hair bands, it was getting there. Those GnR albums sold huge and a few others too. It didnt feel like it was dying but by 1993 or so it was all over and it felt like it died overnight.

I remember in between the time I left for Operation Desert Storm at the end of 90 and returning in May of 91, there was a noticeable change in what all my friends were listening to. They were listening to Jane's Addiction, Primus, etc., and when I left it was all still hair metal. I remember being home on leave after we got back and seeing Man in the Box on MTV and thinking, "WTF is this?" There seemed to be a huge shift in the 5 months I was overseas. I remember that being a very exciting time, but I was also freshly 19 when I got back.

I remember in between the time I left for Operation Desert Storm at the end of 90 and returning in May of 91, there was a noticeable change in what all my friends were listening to. They were listening to Jane's Addiction, Primus, etc., and when I left it was all still hair metal. I remember being home on leave after we got back and seeing Man in the Box on MTV and thinking, "WTF is this?" There seemed to be a huge shift in the 5 months I was overseas. I remember that being a very exciting time, but I was also freshly 19 when I got back.
I really enjoyed some of Jane's stuff. Despite not being a fan of the band members and how they came across (Farrell and Novarro, at least).

Back