Please correct my perspective on price

Orvillain

Rock Star
Edgelord
My Orville by Gibson cost me £380. I bought it in 2008 in Japan when I was on holiday. It is left handed, is 'ObG' as opposed to just 'O' and is from 1991.

Today I saw one on Gumtree (UK Craigslist, with fewer sex offenders) for £1800.

That seems absolutely nuts to me!!

Is that a reasonable price do you think? Am I just being a cheap barsteward??

People are getting hip to the better MIJ Les Paul style guitars. @DrewJD82 can speak to this
better than I can---as his research is superior to mine. :beer

That being said, I have seen a price bump the past 18 months or so. Higher Gibson prices probably
doesn't help things, but some of it seems market driven.

I am actually looking to pick up a couple more MIJ guitars before people become even more hip to them.

Inflation meets greed. Capitalism at its best (and no, I'm not even exactly against capitalism, sort of accepted it as the only working system).

My Orville by Gibson cost me £380. I bought it in 2008 in Japan when I was on holiday. It is left handed, is 'ObG' as opposed to just 'O' and is from 1991.

Today I saw one on Gumtree (UK Craigslist, with fewer sex offenders) for £1800.

That seems absolutely nuts to me!!

Is that a reasonable price do you think? Am I just being a cheap barsteward??
Would buy one in a hearbeart for the old price. Crying in left handed:(

It's probably the same deal as 1970s Fenders. In the 1990s, those were "can't give them away because the perception is they are crap", now they are supposed to be 3000+ euro "vintage"? People are trying to ask absurd money for what they have in the hopes that someone will bite, not because the product is so rare and desirable.

Plus Japan is weird in the sense that US brands are highly valued there. You feel like an explorer finding a lost tribe when you stumble upon some Japanese made guitars after wading through the Fender/Gibson jungle in every store. So Japanese guitars can often be more affordable especially used because they don't have the same kind of appreciation.

People are getting hip to the better MIJ Les Paul style guitars. @DrewJD82 can speak to this
better than I can---as his research is superior to mine. :beer

That being said, I have seen a price bump the past 18 months or so. Higher Gibson prices probably
doesn't help things, but some of it seems market driven.

I am actually looking to pick up a couple more MIJ guitars before people become even more hip to them.

Hahahahah that’s why sometimes you’ll see me saying “Shhhhhh, we don’t want EVERYONE to know about them”

There’s 2 parts to @Orvillain’s question; one would be that more people are finding out about the MIJ’s and costs are rising as a result. The other is that now that we’ve got FB and whatnot, there are people who know the details of these builds and know exactly what year which factory made them and what specs they had.

I know I’m on the hunt for a ‘91 Orville or Greco LPC, because both of them used ebony or ebonol for fingerboards that year…..but so do the people who know Orville’s and Greco’s and since those are more rare, you don’t find them for under $1500 often.

In 2008, I don’t even think FB was thing a yet. The prices on these is only going to continue to rise as time goes on.

Hahahahah that’s why sometimes you’ll see me saying “Shhhhhh, we don’t want EVERYONE to know about them”

There’s 2 parts to @Orvillain’s question; one would be that more people are finding out about the MIJ’s and costs are rising as a result. The other is that now that we’ve got FB and whatnot, there are people who know the details of these builds and know exactly what year which factory made them and what specs they had.

I know I’m on the hunt for a ‘91 Orville or Greco LPC, because both of them used ebony or ebonol for fingerboards that year…..but so do the people who know Orville’s and Greco’s and since those are more rare, you don’t find them for under $1500 often.

In 2008, I don’t even think FB was thing a yet. The prices on these is only going to continue to rise as time goes on.
I'm pretty sure my 90's Korean Greco LPC has an ebony or ebonol fretboard. It definitely ain't rosewood.

Keep in mind that the price of a used Japanese made guitar in Japan is going to be different than the price of the same guitar used in UK where they are a bit more rare to stumble across (I think? Maybe because some of those have been available new in UK at various points that's not the case). And that 2008 was several lifetimes ago in terms of trending guitars.

On the one hand, I totally get that those MIJ guitars are solid. But...so too are modern Eastmans at 1800 pounds new. Not to mention Epiphones at much less if you need something that comes closer to looking like a Gibson.

Back