The Black Album and Nevermind both had such a HUGE impact on me as a young musician at that time. At the time I was deep in a pop/hip-hop phase and then a friend played me Enter Sandman and Smells Like Teen Spirit... and my world was changed forever

Was this the end of hair metal? Or was that already “dead” by then?

It was dead, it just didn't know it was dead yet :stirthepot

The Black Album and Nevermind both had such a HUGE impact on me as a young musician at that time. At the time I was deep in a pop/hip-hop phase and then a friend played me Enter Sandman and Smells Like Teen Spirit... and my world was changed forever

Enter Sandman changed my life, alright :wat:barf:rofl

...he said; with love

I think the 90's get overlooked on how much great music there was. Almost across the board too. Rock, Metal, Grunge, Country. 1996 is about my cutoff for popular country. There are some stragglers of course but I am talking on an overall level.

I'm with ya brother. I was a Metallica fan since before they were signed and that Black album soured me. I used to be pen pals with Lars when I was a tape trader and in the Motorhead Fan Club. Had a copy of no life til leather on a TDK tape LOL.
I get it completely if you had never heard them before. But man; dead horse observation incoming...

The first time I watched that video premier I was like
4VBRuX0.gif

I know it gets a ton of flack from the guys who were fans before the black album, but for a kid who had Paula Abdul and MC Hammer on heavy rotation it was my gateway into a whole new world of music
I know and understand completely. And I appreciate what it did for metal. But that initial listen was a rough one for us old-schoolers :oops: :rofl

I was already into rock from a young age, but I was crazy about both Smells Like TS and Enter Sandman at the same time, too. I have very clear memories of hearing both songs on the radio around the same time period and purposely driving my parents' car around longer to finish the songs. :)

(And I was a Metallica fan from about Master onward, and loved the Black album when it came out. I like tight song arrangements and lots of hooks.)

I know and understand completely. And I appreciate what it did for metal. But that initial listen was a rough one for us old-schoolers :oops: :rofl

Yeah, so I've heard, haha

If it makes it any better, after I heard the black album I went out and scoured local shops for albums and found a used copy of Ride the Lightning and it immediately became my favorite. Which led me on a search to collect all of their pre-90s albums

By the time Load came out I was too busy trying to find a copy of The $5.98 EP to care

Reactions: JT
I was already into rock from a young age, but I was crazy about both Smells Like TS and Enter Sandman at the same time, too. I have very clear memories of hearing both songs on the radio around the same time period and purposely driving my parents' car around longer to finish the songs. :)

(And I was a Metallica fan from about Master onward, and loved the Black album when it came out. I like tight song arrangements and lots of hooks.)

Haha, for me I remember recording copies onto blank cassettes so I could more easily hide them from my parents, and I would crank them while I mowed the lawn. So I was always volunteering to mow the lawn as much as I could!

1991 was probably the most influential year for music for me as a kid. I was 8 years old and listened to a lot of rock radio because it was a 30-45 minute drive each way to/from school. The Black Album, No More Tears, and Use Your Illusion were massive on hard rock radio. But when Smells Like Teen Spirit came out, I couldn't get enough of that song, and then Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, and Soundgarden started to get airplay. And you also had R.E.M. and U2 on the more alternative/pop side.

1994 is still my top year for music all around, but that era from 1990-1995 was my favorite period for sure. mid to late 80's hard rock and alternative was great and later 90's punk/emo was also awesome, but the grunge/alt/rock of the early 90's is my sweet spot.

first time I heard smells like teen spirit I thought it was noisy sloppy crap

first time I heard Alive.... instaboner

There's a weird dichotomy regarding the pre-Napster and definitely the pre-streaming music period:

(1) On the one hand, the desperation to find the coins to buy as much new music as possible. I bought my first record player not because I thought analog was cool but because used LPs were so f'ing cheap circa 2000.

but...

(2) The huge benefit of having to listen to the same thing over and over and over again because a decent record/CD/tape collection topped out at like 1-200, even if you were using blank tapes to copy your friend's collection.

I love Metallica, I love the black album.

I've basically discovered them with the black album, I remember how much The Unforgiven impressed me and made me buy the LP.
Listening to the whole LP at home was a revelation. I loved it to death and then I started buying all the previous records discovering a band that since then has become on of my favourite. They are one my desert island band for sure.

I love Metallica, I love the black album.

I've basically discovered them with the black album, I remember how much The Unforgiven impressed me and made me buy the LP.
Listening to the whole LP at home was a revelation. I loved it to death and then I started buying all the previous records discovering a band that since then has become on of my favourite. They are one my desert island band for sure.

Nothing Else Matters has the best post AJFA solo in the entire Metallica catalog. And it's played by James :bag

Yep.... was I the only one that told them I was too young to enter into a legal contract? Free CDs lol
Haha, funny you say that.

When I got my first cell phone and credit card in my late teens my credit was fantastic because of my Colombia house account :rollsafe

Back