112 Tube Amps

CakeEater

Roadie
What are your thoughts on 112s? I've been in the digital modelling sphere for a few years now, but I recently bought a 112 Supro Keeley Custom 12. It's a 25W Class A tube amp, and I'm really enjoying it. Using my Helix as a pedalboard It's greatly simplified my workflow, and the tones are great.

It got me thinking that my two "FRFR" wedge monitors that I've been using for a few years are basically the cost of small tube amps. They're coaxial 12-inch wedge monitors and about €1000 each. At a certain point I thought to myself, why not just get a tube amp? It's about the same size and only a little bit heavier. The Keeley comes in at 18 kilos which is a breeze.

Because I'm enjoying it so much, I thought about maybe building a small collection of tube amps. But I don't really have an interest in getting anything bigger than a 112, which already seems manageable volume-wise and weight-wise. With my "FRFR" monitors I was using 212 or 412 IRs, but I have I have to say even as an open-back the Supro seems to have great lower mids, which really fills it out. That said, I don't gig that much, only a few times a year in pubs and churches. So, for people who use tube amps regularly, is a good 112 enough? I play mostly indie-rock, post-rock and P&W. All thoughts and opinions welcome!

What are your thoughts on 112s? I've been in the digital modelling sphere for a few years now, but I recently bought a 112 Supro Keeley Custom 12. It's a 25W Class A tube amp, and I'm really enjoying it. Using my Helix as a pedalboard It's greatly simplified my workflow, and the tones are great.

It got me thinking that my two ""FRFR"" wedge monitors that I've been using for a few years are basically the cost of small tube amps. They're coaxial 12-inch wedge monitors and about €1000 each. At a certain point I thought to myself, why not just get a tube amp? It's about the same size and only a little bit heavier. The Keeley comes in at 18 kilos which is a breeze.

Because I'm enjoying it so much, I thought about maybe building a small collection of tube amps. But I don't really have an interest in getting anything bigger than a 112, which already seems manageable volume-wise and weight-wise. With my ""FRFR"" monitors I was using 212 or 412 IRs, but I have I have to say even as an open-back the Supro seems to have great lower mids, which really fills it out. That said, I don't gig that much, only a few times a year in pubs and churches. So, for people who use tube amps regularly, is a good 112 enough? I play mostly indie-rock, post-rock and P&W. All thoughts and opinions welcome!
The problem I ran into with 1x10 and 1x12 tube amps where I was mostly playing at home and then on rare occasion opening them up with a band: it really felt like a new/different rig every time I used it kind of opened up, and I wasn't using it in that manner often enough to find a sweet spot and be able to easily transition between "how I use it at home" and "how I use it loudly". Modelers have their own headaches, but are also a loooooot closer to "well, I just want this sound louder so I just turn the volume knob up, right?" than sub-50 watt combo amps.

I suppose it depends on what kinda power that 1x12 is being fed. A 22w Deluxe Reverb and an 85W Mark IV are hugely different amps, both running to a single 12" speaker.

That being said, if you're only gigging pubs and churches, a low wattage 1x12 would probably be perfect. Mic it up and send it thru the PA if you're not able to hang with the drummer and other amplified instruments.

I suppose it depends on what kinda power that 1x12 is being fed. A 22w Deluxe Reverb and an 85W Mark IV are hugely different amps, both running to a single 12" speaker.

Both these amps seem to manage to rip my head off though :oops::LOL:

That said I think theres at least 8 more numbers on the IV volume knob that I'm too scared to find out what happens when accessed

Both these amps seem to manage to rip my head off though :oops::LOL:

That said I think theres at least 8 more numbers on the IV volume knob that I'm too scared to find out what happens when accessed

re: Fender volume

I stood in front of a LOT of really loud amps and there was only one that actually hurt and I'd avoid
wandering anywhere close to its on axis range - a Fender Twin with EVs and mounted up on a chair.
Swear the guy had to be deaf in his upper frequencies because the piercing treble coming off those monster
12s would make your entire skull hurt.

I've been having little pieces of my childhood fillings falling out a lot these past few years and I swear it's that fucking
Fender's fault.

The problem I ran into with 1x10 and 1x12 tube amps where I was mostly playing at home and then on rare occasion opening them up with a band: it really felt like a new/different rig every time I used it kind of opened up, and I wasn't using it in that manner often enough to find a sweet spot and be able to easily transition between "how I use it at home" and "how I use it loudly". Modelers have their own headaches, but are also a loooooot closer to "well, I just want this sound louder so I just turn the volume knob up, right?" than sub-50 watt combo amps.
That's a really good point, I've been meaning to go to the church hall on an evening when it's not in use to figure out where to set the volume and master volume for gigging volumes so that the gain and breakup are in the same ballpark as house volumes.

That's a really good point, I've been meaning to go to the church hall on an evening when it's not in use to figure out where to set the volume and master volume for gigging volumes so that the gain and breakup are in the same ballpark as house volumes.
Take your whole pedalboard -- your "slight volume boost" may turn into a "not much volume boost but lots of added compression and some clipping". Especially if you are running reverbs/delays in front of the amp...the added compression can also result in a need to adjust delay feedback amount to get same number of repeats, etc.

Take your whole pedalboard -- your "slight volume boost" may turn into a "not much volume boost but lots of added compression and some clipping". Especially if you are running reverbs/delays in front of the amp...the added compression can also result in a need to adjust delay feedback amount to get same number of repeats, etc.
Good point, I'll bring the whole rig for sure.

I'm a recent fan of the 1x12 combo format. I just got a Vox AC15C1, which fits the description. At about 50lbs, it's comparable in weight to a loaded 2x12 extension cab. I bought a $10 dolly from Home Depot that I am permanently keeping underneath the amp, so transport isn't a concern.

I bought the AC15 for cleans and breakup, although the cranked rock sounds are attainable with its master volume.

I've been adding or building tube amps to my collection sporadically, after relying on modeling for most of my playing years. Modeling has sort of been my gateway to checking out more amps. It's fun to have both tube amps and modeling if one can support it.

These are “clip the poweramp symptoms”…would one expect that in a pub / church?

Can ya be more specific?

this?

lakeside-cristian-centre1-1066x800.jpg

or this? :LOL:

80b7b950424a80ad00c2e29c1d69ded2.jpg

1x12 should cover a pub just fine..where a 15w amp looses its cleans sooner then a 100w.
Ime cabsize has a very big impact…a 1x10 in a champ can sound boxy….in an oversized cab you fix that.

I like to use 2 smaller amps…mostly for my own kicks…stereo fills my spot nicely ;)

If weight is a big concern, check blackstar st James,,,that’s 50w tubes you can lift with a finger.

These are “clip the poweramp symptoms”…would one expect that in a pub / church?
Nope. They are “poweramp is compressing” things, that happens WAY earlier in sub-25 watt tube amps than most realize. A Princeton reverb (12-15 watts) behaved noticeably differently for me with my pedals at modest at home volume compared to just kinda loud at home volume.

Nope. They are “poweramp is compressing” things, that happens WAY earlier in sub-25 watt tube amps than most realize. A Princeton reverb (12-15 watts) behaved noticeably differently for me with my pedals at modest at home volume compared to just kinda loud at home volume.
In my mind poweramp compressing is mild clipping ;)…and in my mind 25w clips way later then most realize tbh.
I’ve never used a Princeton…but used 2 15w powersections in pubs….not rock and roll volumes…but loud enough to fill a small club…and no such signs. 25w Mesa express…I can keep that perfectly clean on a pretty loud top 40 gig. All bypassing their preamps btw.
U sure that Princetons preamp didn’t add to the observation?..or a speaker with a super low efficiency?

1x12 should cover a pub just fine..where a 15w amp looses its cleans sooner then a 100w.
Ime cabsize has a very big impact…a 1x10 in a champ can sound boxy….in an oversized cab you fix that.

I like to use 2 smaller amps…mostly for my own kicks…stereo fills my spot nicely ;)

If weight is a big concern, check blackstar st James,,,that’s 50w tubes you can lift with a finger.
My point isn't whether it'll work fine -- of course a 1x12 is a GREAT option for pub/church gigs. Just giving a warning that moving from an modeler/"FRFR" rig that is always working well within its headroom limits both at home and at church is going to be a very different experience than using a 25 watt tube amp where at church its going to be in a very different part of its "power band" with respect to compression, even if its running "clean". :beer

Interesting, I’ve been using a Helix and two wedge monitors for a few years, so I’ve gotten very used to stereo. I’m actually thinking of picking up another Supro Keeley so I can go full tube stereo with the Helix effects. That’s one of the reasons I asked this question actually, I don’t want to be putting my eggs in the wrong basket.

What’s the difference in volume like using two amps compared to one? I know the science of loudness is a bit weird!

Back