“Shout At The More Human Than Immigrant Devil Song” (John5/Crue show)

DrewJD82

Staff member
The Motley tour with John5 started this weekend. Pretty much what I expected, aside from how much freedom they’re giving John, not just with the playing but onstage as well. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that much movement on a Motley stage. Vince still sounds like Vince Meal, so prepare yourself for that.

Thought it was kind of funny they threw “More Human Than Human” in there; John’s written all of Rob Zombie’s music since he joined the band, you’d think they could have picked a song he wrote. :rofl The change in the verse riff was pretty cool though. As soon as it came in I had an idea they were going to expand on that later.

My only real gripe with John5 is that I feel he suffers from the same thing Petrucci suffers from; their right hands are so practiced there’s no variation in the picking, every note is hit with the exact same force and it removes so much dynamics. Listening to either John playing clean really highlights this because every note will be the exact same volume, regardless of how fast or slow they’re playing. Human compressors. :ROFLMAO:

Edit- Never really thought of this before, but Tommy Lee is pretty much the Phil Rudd of hair metal. He gets a lot of sh*t that overlooks any of his musical contributions, but he’s responsible for “Home Sweet Home” (at least the music, not sure about vocals) and his solo stuff got a LOT of sh*t, but I actually really dug both Methods of Mayhem and his album Never A Dull Moment, there’s some catchy songs in there.

Last edited:
I don't pay much attention to MC at all but holy s**t Vince needs to hang it up or get some vocal training

He had one brief period he came out sounding great, I want to say it was about 10 years ago or so, but yeah, this has been his usual thing for the majority of the last 20 years or more. He very much sounds like someone who took lessons at one point but rarely utilizes what he learned. He uses his head voice for all the ad-lobbed throw away “yeah”, “Whoohoo” stuff, or as a quick solution when he knows his chest voice is going to sh*t out. I can appreciate the on the fly approach, but it’s unusual for someone who has been singing live as long as he has to go in sounding unrehearsed. Most singers singing the same songs night after night know exactly when to take a breath, exactly where their starting placement is.

“Shout At The Devil” is a perfect example of it, he’s jumping between chest and head voice erratically and it sounds f*cking terrible.

My only real gripe with John5 is that I feel he suffers from the same thing Petrucci suffers from; their right hands are so practiced there’s no variation in the picking, every note is hit with the exact same force and it removes so much dynamics. Listening to either John playing clean really highlights this because every note will be the exact same volume, regardless of how fast or slow they’re playing. Human compressors. :ROFLMAO:
Hmmm, I love both those guys! haha

I think John 5 could do with reeling in a bit that Steve Howe, park pigeon, head-bop though! :facepalm

Hmmm, I love both those guys! haha

I think John 5 could do with reeling in a bit that Steve Howe, park pigeon, head-bop though! :facepalm

I’m a fan of both as well, just an aspect of their playing I’m not a fan of. John5 opened for Ryche last time I saw them (I think Marty Friedman is opening this current tour, anxious to see that!) and he just killed it. I’ve seen him with Rob Zombie a bunch over the years and his tone absolutely works in that element, but for his solo stuff, I‘ve never really dug his tone when I see the videos but when I saw him live it was f*cking great.

This was the show I saw, sound is pretty good here. It always sounds great in that room.

I actually didn't discover John 5 until maybe 5 years ago. I mean, I knew prior to that he was the guitarist for MM, but as I couldn't stand his music, I never checked out John 5.

But the dude is a straight up freak imo, always seeming to strive to build on what he's done previously.

Back