“Overpriced”

Slapping a famous name on the same TheSycon.de drivers on an USB interface and acting like somehow the name makes it worth more is pretty much the definition of "overpriced" to me

Every single "name" interface that drops into the USB market that isn't RME. SSL and Neve are great examples of the driver thing, though the SSL isn't actually overpriced I don't think.

Alls I know is, even for the ~$3k my Axe III + FC-12 cost me almost exactly 3 years ago, it's hands down the best money I've ever spent for a piece of gear.

Heck, for my tastes in guitars, $3k only gets me one.
To some that $3K is way overpriced but if it’s worth it to you then it’s not. I have gear some think is overpriced but if it gives me the goods then I’ll pay the price of admission no problem.

So this term has been thrown around a lot lately in this section and for the record I don’t see this as something that’s objectively true for everyone. It’s opinion.

I’m curious what makes a digital unit overpriced to you? Is it how many features the unit offers for the price? Is it more about quality of the build of the unit and user interface? Does it sounding really good or bad play factor for you? All the above?

I’ll put my opinion here…. for me if it does the thing I like the most and is the best at doing that thing, also has a decent build quality, then the higher price tag usually isn’t a factor. The main thing that makes me say something is overpriced is where it’s overinflated due to market supply and demand excluding rare vintage gear.
at the end of the day it’s about the size-of-smile-to-dollars spent ratio. A lot of random seemingly meaningless stuff can impact the size of the smile on my face when using a piece of gear. The vast majority of it sounds good these days, so that alone is actually a pretty small part of it.

Synergy rig is obviously not good “value”, but for whatever reason puts a big enough smile on my face to keep the ratio in check.

Kemper player is probably not “overpriced”, but for is carrying enough baggage that it’d have to be REALLY useful to me to win the balance - because The tones aren’t remarkably better such that they will carry the day.

If you venture outside the digital realm, you definitely end up with questions. Why is a Magnatone, or Wizard 1000+ € more than a Friedman, Bogner, Mesa etc boutique USA brands? Why is a Soldano SLO30 900 € more than a Soldano Astro 20 and doesn't even have the IR capabilities? What makes a Chase Bliss CXM worth over 2x the price of the closest Strymon or SA reverb? How is a 7000 € Gibson LP better than a 5000 € model? At some point it starts to feel like you are paying a premium, but NOT getting something in return.
I think the Magnatone and Wizard stuff is flat out hilarious. But someone must really have to have that tone, because someone’s buying them.

It can still be overpriced in eyes of a particular person. If it’s “overpriced” in terms of it selling poorly, then it becomes more of an objective thing, than just opinion.
Or could be for the reason that the product didn’t have a usefulness or was anything to make it attractive, regardless of price, for a large enough customer base to be able to sustain its production.

I can think of countless cheaper gear that didn’t sell well enough to last.

Or could be for the reason that the product didn’t have a usefulness or was anything to make it attractive, regardless of price, for a large enough customer base to be able to sustain its production.
Uhh, that's the definition of "overpriced." A product can still be overpriced at zero dollars.

Last edited:
Back