“Overpriced”

Uhh, that's the definition of "overpriced." A product can still overpriced at zero dollars.

And this is where "value" enters the chat...

A product is not overpriced if enough people find value in what it offers versus the asking price, but if nobody finds value in it then free is still overpriced.

Or could be for the reason that the product didn’t have a usefulness or was anything to make it attractive, regardless of price, for a large enough customer base to be able to sustain its production.

I can think of countless cheaper gear that didn’t sell well enough to last.
If it didn’t have enough utility, then it’s still a poor value.

And this is where "value" enters the chat...

A product is not overpriced if enough people find value in what it offers versus the asking price, but if nobody finds value in it then free is still overpriced.
And don’t we call that trash?

The TMP is overpriced IMO
It was their first product , and they released it priced at the top end of the market with limited amps and FX , and some serious bugs that need to be worked on .
In addition the core tones just were not up to top tier pricing

The TMP is overpriced IMO
It was their first product , and they released it priced at the top end of the market with limited amps and FX , and some serious bugs that need to be worked on .
In addition the core tones just were not up to top tier pricing
I agree. It’s more than a little weird to me that one of the guys came from Line 6, and they looked at the market and thought “yup, this is a good value.”

I guess only time will tell if I’m right or they are, I guess.

Think maybe some of the thought process with the TMP is geared towards Fender amp snobs who would have NEVER used a modeler. They might just give in if one comes along with a Fender logo on it?

Speaking of Fender, Milkman amps is probably the most overpriced line of gear I can think of.

Think maybe some of the thought process with the TMP is geared towards Fender amp snobs who would have NEVER used a modeler. They might just give in if one comes along with a Fender logo on it?

Speaking of Fender, Milkman amps is probably the most overpriced line of gear I can think of.

There does appear to be some modeling virgins dipping their toes in the water with the TMP, which is great that they're moving out of their comfort zone. Unfortunately, the TMP in its current state does fall well short of what the completion is offering for the same money.

The reps hanging out here and TOP have been very positive that Fender is going to dip its toes into long term digital product support and they are sincere about that. However, all it takes is a few suits in corner offices to decide that their numbers don't look good and the TMP support could suffer the same fate as the CyberTwin and Mustang line.

Anybody remember the Saturn car company? It was a pet project of a General Motors executive, and the company was doing very well. Then that exec retired, and his replacement hated the brand and with a few pen strokes Saturn was no more.

I guess warranty terms and the service reputation of the brand is pretty big too if you're on the fence.
actually that is one of the big things why i deal with Thomann, They extent your customary 1 year warranty to 3 years and I don't have to deal with the manufacturer.

Fairly simple...market decides what is overpriced...if it sells it isn't...

My personal take, in a world where amps and guitars are twice what they were 2 decades ago and folks justify it with inflation calculators nothing is overpriced.

Would i buy a 4k+ Strat or worse?
Nuh.
With stuff like UA i can stomach a 350 bucks pedal.

This is actually where i have to give fractal mad props their tech got faster and the price in the US stayed the same.

In EU, well different story and I'm not even getting into what non US distributors and dealers think is acceptable to pass on to the customer as they upcharge.

Side note, when these threads happen and folks talk about qualified labor, what dealers upcharge they clearly know FA about this industry, how things are produced and how much a cottage industry it actually is.

I mean every sighting of a small business owner guys fall over tgemsel while a minute ago they had the pitchforks out.

Anybody remember the Saturn car company? It was a pet project of a General Motors executive, and the company was doing very well. Then that exec retired, and his replacement hated the brand and with a few pen strokes Saturn was no more.
It's a lot more complicated than that. GM was forced to declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy during the Great Recession that began in 2008. As part of the reorganization effort, they had to consolidate their brand offerings. Chevrolet, Cadillac, and Buick survived the process. Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Saturn did not.

It's a lot more complicated than that. GM was forced to declare Chapter 11 bankruptcy during the Great Recession that began in 2008. As part of the reorganization effort, they had to consolidate their brand offerings. Chevrolet, Cadillac, and Buick survived the process. Pontiac, Oldsmobile, and Saturn did not.
Saturn was unfortunately mostly just rebadged Opal cars at the end. Nothing really special.

The only thing I consider regarding price is whether or not I can afford it at that moment.

The idea of something being “overpriced” never enters my mind. It’s a silly concept.

Similar to when people say, “Artist X is ‘overrated’”

The only thing I consider regarding price is whether or not I can afford it at that moment.

The idea of something being “overpriced” never enters my mind. It’s a silly concept.

Similar to when people say, “Artist X is ‘overrated’”
So, something costing $1600 with only four amp models, only one of which you like, and just a couple effects, wouldn't be overpriced to you?

Saturn was unfortunately mostly just rebadged Opal cars at the end. Nothing really special.
I have no idea where you heard that. FYI, GM imported Opel Kadetts and GTs ca. the 1960s-1970s, long before Saturn existed. They also rebadged the Opel Omega B and sold it here for a minute as the Cadillac Catera, then later used the platform (2004-06) for the Pontiac GTO.

I knew a GM engineer who did some work on Saturn sedans. They were designed and manufactured in the US. The only Saturn platform I'm aware of that was shared with another GM division was the Sky, a rebadged Pontiac Solstice. (They were both pretty good cars, BTW).

I'm not defending Saturns; I never had any interest in owning one. I'm just clearing up some obvious misconceptions about them.

They were off to a great start, until GM corporate stepped in. Built completely in their own two plants, no parts sourced from the GM parts bin, and the second safest cars on the road (behind Volvo).

I have no idea where you heard that. FYI, GM imported Opel Kadetts and GTs ca. the 1960s-1970s, long before Saturn existed. They also rebadged the Opel Omega B and sold it here for a minute as the Cadillac Catera, then later used the platform (2004-06) for the Pontiac GTO.

I knew a GM engineer who did some work on Saturn sedans. They were designed and manufactured in the US. The only Saturn platform I'm aware of that was shared with another GM division was the Sky, a rebadged Pontiac Solstice. (They were both pretty good cars, BTW).

I'm not defending Saturns; I never had any interest in owning one. I'm just clearing up some obvious misconceptions about them.
The later Saturn Vue was a rebadged Opel Antara. The Sky was a rebadged Opel. The L series was also rebadged Opel (Vectra). Not misconceptions.

Last edited:
My cousin had one of these that was a beater car.
A jalopy that we drove in the fields .
As a 14 year old kid it was a pretty fun car to drive!
1703633875087.png

Back