“Digital Amps All Sound The Same!”

Not an explicit one, but the minimum video length for mid-roll ads in YT is 8 minutes, IIRC. A 21:27 min video is pretty much guaranteed to get three ad breaks by default, with their associated revenue.

It's a form of content moderation. YouTube wants longer videos, so they incentivize "creators" to produce them.
Funnily enough some of YT content policies for monetization do say that they should not be repetitive content but of course nobody is checking that so someone can just say the same dang thing 10 different ways to pad the time.

why is it the red flag for these content creators who'll stretch out f**k all into a 10+ minute video is when they start the video and take a sip of coffee?

I don't know why that in particular irks me so much, I think its the thought of them preparing the cup while they're getting the lighting and camera right and spending time editing it to make sure those unnecessary sips are there
7elddy.jpg

Personally, I don't even click on these type of videos anymore. I have the impression that the guys jerk off all day trying to get as many clicks as possible with their opinion, which in the end we don't give a fuck. if you are not able to make the difference between the modellers, seriously ... play 10 minutes on an axe 3 then with a kemper, or an helix, it is just fucking obvious.

Inflationary amounts of inflationary long YT videos killed so much of my lifetime I could start a lawsuit against whomever, especially in case you consider that guitarnerd stuff is just covering 10% or so. But at least I can noodle along when watching yet some more flatearther frenzy, not possible in case someone's constantly trying to showcase sounds.

Fwiw, on a sidenote, and I'm sure most of you have noticed as well: Pretty much all guitar YTers are sitting their with some axe on their laps all the time - even in case they don't play a friggin single note all throughout. Driving me completely crazy.

Last edited:
@norminal
oh there is no need to be doubtful. when you have the products in your room, you plug your jack in one and the other it's quickly done ... as much in audio, you can manage to cheat the listener but what you feel and especially the fuzzy side of the kemper (for example) it jumps in the face

Last edited:
Finally clicked around in the video a little bit. There's a pretty blatant conflict of interest sitting front and center. "I'm ready to sell you captures/ presets for absolutely any of these devices, so don't go spending all your money on new hardware. Make checks payable to yours truly. These Hawaiian shirts aren't going to pay for themselves."

I watch Cooking Shows on Youtube, because the content creators are not as douchey
as they tend to be in the guitar/production/gear content creators. :idk

I can count on one hand (maybe 2 or 3 fingers!) the voices I trust when it comes to
guitar/gear on YT.

This thread... :rofl

Boss in the next office; me trying not to laugh out loud. :D

Thankfully, I’ve walked in on my boss laughing at something on FB on her phone several times, so the occasional time someone walks into my office (completely separate from the rest of the company, on a different floor) and my laughing gives away I’m not looking at work orders or reading building codes, I just pull out the “oh a friend sent me something funny…”

Not an explicit one, but the minimum video length for mid-roll ads in YT is 8 minutes, IIRC. A 21:27 min video is pretty much guaranteed to get three ad breaks by default, with their associated revenue.

It's a form of content moderation. YouTube wants longer videos, so they incentivize "creators" to produce them.

What this has also created are a ton of Wish.com/Chibsons-esque channels that just rip off other videos with far less information being said as many different ways as possible to drive the watch time up. It’s popping up in almost every content genre now. I fell asleep watching some outstanding WWII documentaries and woke up to some 4-hour “Ancient Alien Mega-Civilization” video that was just a ton of other videos edited together, mostly consisting of random stock footage.

My ex was doing voiceovers and did a ton of meditation videos, when checking the videos out once they were posted, it was quite clear these content “creators” were just finding random meditation scripts, hiring someone to record it in a pleasing voice then editing the voiceover seemingly at random throughout a 3 hour video of stock footage of sunrises or stars or whatever. Those videos would get some pretty damn high view counts fairly quickly. It’s hard not to argue against the idea of doing that as background piggy bank. With minimal effort you could have a channel full of content that you don’t really need to develop or think about it, just collecting cash.

It’s hard not to argue against the idea of doing that as background piggy bank. With minimal effort you could have a channel full of content that you don’t really need to develop or think about it, just collecting cash.
And I guarantee there are people/companies spooling up AI applications to build that content with little or no human effort.

mind-blown-300x300.jpg

Fwiw, on a sidenote, and I'm sure most of you have noticed as well: Pretty much all guitar YTers are sitting their with some axe on their laps all the time - even in case they don't play a friggin single note all throughout. Driving me completely crazy.
Major pet peeve of mine is when you’re looking for a video on a piece of gear. Find the pedal video or whatever you’re looking for… skim through 3/4/5 mins of verbiage before they’ve even played a note… get to the point! MKBHD did a video series talking about his approach to vids and he talks about “information density” in videos. Don’t waste the viewers time, creators should be mindful and aim to get better and better in this skill set.

No one is perfect and there’s plenty of guitar YTers that do this well. But when I see someone waffling for ages I’m like… please, figure this out 🤣. I know not everyone is a cookie cutter aiming to make 8-10 min videos but surely you can trim down your 45minute rants to something sub 15-20 mins etc.

Back