“Digital Amps All Sound The Same!”

norminal

Rock Star
I typically avoid watching these kinds of videos, but to a certain degree, he’s not wrong.

In my opinion, under a sonic microscope, two identical modelers, in theory, could sound different given the tolerances between the analog components.

When does it end? Or as the gentleman in the video says, “what are we optimizing for?”

So, the guy profiled/capture the same amp on three different devices... and was surprised they sounded identical?

Hardly a shocker for anyone using these units at any time over the past years. They're all excellent, and we've long crossed the threshold of diminishing returns with new hardware.

I actually don't mind "HW". He could certainly cut his runtimes down considerably but he seems cool enough and has a sense of humor.

That's intentional. The reason you'll see YouTubers rambling for 20+ minutes is that they get more ad slots (and money) by doing so.

The problem for ToneJunkie though is that he rarely has enough real content to fill that time, so his videos ramble over and over the same topic forever.

That's intentional. The reason you'll see YouTubers rambling for 20+ minutes is that they get more ad slots (and money) by doing so.

The problem for ToneJunkie though is that he rarely has enough real content to fill that time, so his videos ramble over and over the same topic forever.
It is obvious, yet I don't look at it through that lens for whatever reason? I am sitting there going "what in the flying f is the point we are trying to get to here?" :wat :rofl

Point being, I’ve played through and own/owned many of these devices. When you’re playing at concert levels with a room full of loud, drunken people, does it really matter? How much better is that TONEX Pedal going to sound over the Kemper? Or will you really be able to hear the differences between that granular parameter on the Axe-FX vs. the Helix?

cat-yawn.gif

Point being, I’ve played through and own/owned many of these devices. When you’re playing at concert levels with a room full of loud, drunken people, does it really matter? How much better is that TONEX Pedal going to sound over the Kemper? Or will you really be able to hear the differences between that granular parameter on the Axe-FX vs. the Helix?
Which is why it's more important you don't use the device whose display/ controls/ whatever make you bonkers.

I actually don't mind "HW". He could certainly cut his runtimes down considerably but he seems cool enough and has a sense of humor.

I don't mind him either. I don't watch his stuff much for whatever reason, but when I do, he's watchable and funny. I find some of the angles he churns out to be annoying (along with the thumbnails). But he reminds me of that nerdy friend who's a good talker and can sell stuff, etc, and is entertaining to hang around.

I find the only YT'ers whose stuff I'll watch almost weekly are John Cordy and Leon Todd.

Back