YouTube Reviewers Can’t Be Trusted?

Ah too bad, somebody just posted this and deleted it but I wanted to comment:

The problem with GearTube is when professional GearTubers start making “content” about being GearTubers. Nobody gives a fuck.

I posted that and as mentioned deleted it because I didn’t want you to think I was directing it specifically at you. I was commenting more on the broader subject. :beer

But since it’s out there now…

If nobody cares, why are so many people watching those videos?

Fair point. I should have prefaced that one of the things I dislike about GearTube is the trend of professional GearTubers making content about GearTube. :rofl

I guess a lot of people just enjoy talking and discussing gear and stuff after all, just like on this forum... ;)

Except we’re discussing GearTubers talking about Geartube, and not gear. :ROFLMAO:

Hurriedly scrambles to find a gear topic…
Run Away GIF

I posted that and as mentioned deleted it because I didn’t want you to think I was directing it specifically at you. I was commenting more on the broader subject. :beer

But since it’s out there now…

Fair point. I should have prefaced that one of the things I dislike about GearTube is the trend of professional GearTubers making content about GearTube. :rofl

Except we’re discussing GearTubers talking about Geartube, and not gear. :ROFLMAO:

Hurriedly scrambles to find a gear topic…
Run Away GIF
yo dawg GIF

I think there is fold to this that hasn't been touched on. Regardless of the incentive for a youtuber to hock a product, many play guitar and music in general as performative outlet. Many are in bands, write, and release music. The youtube content space is just another stage of sorts to perform. Whether it is demonstrating a technical proficiency with dialing in gear, crafting some chunky riffs, or ad-libbing thoughtful takes on debates and soliciting opinions from an audience, one of the more common things I pick up on is the performance aspect of it all.

It gets painfully obvious when content is scripted in a sterile manner with no real organic sense of discovery or enjoyment in the process. Sure, everyone has their own idiosyncrasies and most seem to have some structure in their content, but when you can see their wheels spinning and get a sense of genuine thoughts being shared, it is easier to connect with the review, demo, whatever...

I feel like overhyped praise can be offputting, and if you never levy any sort of critism at a product, it also becomes kind of rote and predictable. Criticism can be given without being offensive to the product. Saying, "this thing fucking sucks!" is as useful as someone saying, "this might be the best version of this thing available". Both tell you nothing, but only one will get you called a shill. I wish you tube would encourage content to be more like scientific journals where the title of the article states the conclusion, but that doesn’t seem to be what the majority of people are looking for or else the algorithm would be just that.

I mean, if I saw a video called "This new version of a Tubescreamer sounds exactly like every other Tubescremer"... I would probably still click on it. Just so I could see if the addition of an LED clipping circuit really changes the character of the tone when the gain is all the way down, volume and tone are all the way up as it is pushing an already high gain signal... because, I am sure it makes a huge difference in that context.

Bottom line, I like watching content where the person has fun and enjoys what they are doing, and if I can get a sense of what the product is, great! If I can get some caveats and some real world expectations about the limitations of the product, even better!

Last edited:
Back