Your very 1st rack unit?

ADA MP-1 (and MC-1 Foot Controller), B200S, Alesis Quadraverb all at the same time in 1989, and I still have them.

Bottom rows of rack:

IMG_6294 -768.jpg

Very first one you owned and approx. when you bought it.

1986 - Got a job at ADS and one of their side divisions was DeltaLab so I got an employee discount on one of these:

View attachment 21307

Would love to see how one stacks up against today's offerings.

Sounds familiar. Memory's fuzzy but I think I saw a vid or something on Alex Lifeson and he used one of these for a while in the 80's.

The Roland GP-8 was my first rack unit. Received it as a high school graduation gift ftom my mom in 1988.

View attachment 21308
Regretfully I sold it and "traded up" to the :poop: GP-16 when it was released.

That was my first rack unit, too (with the FC 100 as well).

In fact, *way* above its time. 4CM-ready, digitally controlled analog (!) pre-effects, 2 amp switching outs. You won't find one single unit offering all that today. The only thing I already knew back then is that things should have more knobs (nothing has changed with that until these days, right?).
Fwiw, the FC was a sturdy beast, made for rock'n'roll stages.

Later on I added an Alesis Midiverb III (maybe I still have that somewhere).

It's funny, I was going to say I've never bought rack gear until my recent Matrix GT1000FX, just not a rack guy, but then I saw @LeftyLoungeLizard's pic and was reminded that I bought a Rockman Distortion Generator in high school, so I guess that would be it.

Ordered it from the back of a guitar magazine and had it shipped up to Canada. Probably because I loved my Rockman Soloist so much. Ran it into a solid state Yamaha 4x10 combo that was my dad's, sounded pretty damn good with the DiMarzio Super Distortion in my snakeskin BC Rich. :)

IMG_3049.jpeg

Alesis MIDIVerb III. I was Ricki g it in the FX loop of my Recto in the late 90s. I used some of the modulation and echo stuff but eventually replaced it with MM4 and DL4 stomps like everyone else at the time.
alesis-midiverb-iii-xl.jpg

This was mine too. Going through a peavey PA system and a bass cabinet with a Metal Zone. Good times.

1st Marshall 9000
View attachment 21345

2nd ART SGX2000 + Marshall Valvestate 8004 power amp (my actual pic)
View attachment 21349
3rd (my actual pic)
View attachment 21348
4th (my actual pic)
View attachment 21347
View attachment 21350
The Marshall 9000 preamp brings me back - I’ve never spent so much time tweaking something. It seemed promising because it was gainy, but I could never really get Marshall tones from it. It was replaced by a Mesa Studio Preamp and I never looked back.

Alesis Quadraverb was the first.

Followed by the ART SGX
Then a Digitech GSP legend or something like that ...man I can remember the name I think it had yellow in the paint scheme. I'll have to look it up.

Last edited:
OMG I forgot about these. I remember the Guitar World ad for it from way back. How did it sound?
It was cool. My experience of amps was VTM120s and zero idea how you use them correctly. Mine didn't have toggles. It's easy to say it did insertMarshallthinghere but I remember zero nuance.

I do know my Scott Ian Jackson sounded :chef through it
1000006338.jpg

tlol68xju1j31kbg4xz3.jpg

Hafler Triple Giant iirc? Probably '97 or '98?

Always wanted one of those. The "poor man's Fish." Pretty sure those toggles in the pic are mods. I bought a Hafler Hellrazor new back in the 90s (still have it) and picked up a T3 maybe 5-6 years ago just for fun. Had a T2 as well but sold it (it kind of sucked).

Just remembered there is a NAM profile of the Triple Giant that I need to check out again...

Always wanted one of those. The "poor man's Fish." Pretty sure those toggles in the pic are mods. I bought a Hafler Hellrazor new back in the 90s (still have it) and picked up a T3 maybe 5-6 years ago just for fun. Had a T2 as well but sold it (it kind of sucked).

Just remembered there is a NAM profile of the Triple Giant that I need to check out again...
Buddy had the one of the T series. I think the 3 but can't remember? It didn't have a mids knob
:wat:Boo

Back