Your very 1st rack unit?

Achilles

Rock Star
Very first one you owned and approx. when you bought it.

1986 - Got a job at ADS and one of their side divisions was DeltaLab so I got an employee discount on one of these:

lab.jpg

Would love to see how one stacks up against today's offerings.

DigiTech GSP-2101, not long after they came out (early 90ies?)
Still missing some sounds from it...
"In the same week" I probably got the Marshall Valvestate 8008 rack amp and a Korg rack tuner.

First I ever played possibly was a Roland GP-16 a few years earlier. When that friend also got a Boogie Quad, using the recording out into the GP-16 was the first time I experienced a glorious LA style chorus/delay lead. I was in ecstasy and sweatingly played it for an hour. I also played through his SPX90 but didn't know it was legendary back then -- wasn't very impressed by it.

Last edited:
My first one was the Axe-Fx Standard. My second one was the Axe-Fx 2 Mk1. My 3rd one was the Axe-Fx III Mk2. I hope there is no 4th one.

I had a few of the Alexis micro rack modules that would fit three side by side in a single rack unit, I think the first one I bought was the Microverb. That would have been around 1989 or so. I also had a Peavey TG Raxx one channel tube preamp, which was later replaced by a Rockmaster.

I had a few of the Alexis micro rack modules that would fit three side by side in a single rack unit, I think the first one I bought was the Microverb. That would have been around 1989 or so. I also had a Peavey TG Raxx one channel tube preamp, which was later replaced by a Rockmaster.

First used a rack unit in 1989 recording a demo. It was all new and fancy schmancy so
the guy who owned the Studio and fancied himself a Producer invited me to use his
new Rocktron Pro Gap. I insta-hated it. Recorded while running it straight into the
desk and then monitoring in the Control Room. It was 10,000 kinds of awkward for me
to track in the Control Room over top of the Bass and Drums that had already been
laid down. We all assumed we'd record/track live in the same room and then do dubs
later. :idk

I am sure it was a great experience for me. But man I hated those tones. :barf

1994; Alesis Quadraverb GT

View attachment 21309

I worded mine specifically because before I had that delay unit, I was using all my uncle's gear, including this. It ended up being my buddy's "bass amp" plugging it direct into the PA, there was one fuzz/phase preset that was obnoxious he'd use to play the into of "For Whom The Bell Tolls" and since it was high school, it was fucking awesome. :rofl

While he was using that, I was using my uncle's 2101, in stereo, right into the inputs of two Fender combo amps. I have some old band practices on a DVD somewhere, every now and then I like being reminded of how horrible that sounded.

Back