Analog Preamp Love | What's Your Poison?

The cost is certainly not nothing, but everything is stupidly priced these days so I don’t find the spread of $900-2,400 (For a fully equipped SYN1, SYN2 or Head) that crazy in todays amp market. I do think if they could cut the costs of the enclosures it would probably help the initial buy-in hurdle for the platform, but once you get setup you’re good to go, and the module prices are very fair.
Yeah, especially the SYN2 + 5050 poweramp is pretty expensive. SYN2 enclosure with no modules almost buys you a Helix LT.

As far as cab switchers etc. never needed any of that. I have a cab I love, I want everything going through that. Sure if you’re only rotating one part of the chain (preamp, poweramp, cab) there can be underlying similarities, and even some modules can overlap with others (same with amps tbf) but I can assure you that you’d hear a difference between an Uberschall and a Bman module. :ROFLMAO:
For me the cab is such a big equalizer that I'd rather have a single amp, cab switcher and multiple cabs than a preamp switcher and just one cab. But that's a lot of space/weight so it's not exactly practical for anything but home/studio use. It's also why I have moved to using digital modeling purely through full range systems and if a real guitar cab is used, I'll just plug in a simpler amp to it that does a couple of things really well.

Sure, Uber and Bman module will certainly sound different, but how much will you care about the differences between say various modded Marshall based modules when everything else remains the same?

Yeah, especially the SYN2 + 5050 poweramp is pretty expensive. SYN2 enclosure with no modules almost buys you a Helix LT.

We could compare anything against Helix variants and question value, but I don’t think people interested in building a modular analog rack setup is necessarily the same person looking for a Stomp. (Or prohibited from being interested in both)

For me the cab is such a big equalizer that I'd rather have a single amp, cab switcher and multiple cabs than a preamp switcher and just one cab. But that's a lot of space/weight so it's not exactly practical for anything but home/studio use. It's also why I have moved to using digital modeling purely through full range systems and if a real guitar cab is used, I'll just plug in a simpler amp to it that does a couple of things really well.

Sure, Uber and Bman module will certainly sound different, but how much will you care about the differences between say various modded Marshall based modules when everything else remains the same?

You’d probably be an extreme outlier, as I don’t see many people wanting to do cab switching with their Synergy rigs. (Though I get the appeal, theoretically)

I generally find within most gain structures you will always find similarities, or more than likely dial it all in similarly based on personal taste. But on the other hand I see plenty of people who love a particular style (Marshall for ex.) and appreciate the little nuances. I don’t think modeling is necessarily immune to that either. How many people find an IR or two they love and use it for everything? Or, how many modelers have 8 Fender amps, which is about 6-7 more than anyone needs. :ROFLMAO: I could throw a dart and not care which one it lands on.

I don’t think it’s terribly difficult to discern between a 6505, IICP, Powerball, Deliverance or Uber modules, but YMMV. I haven’t actually bought a Marshall based module but I’d be pretty sure there would be differences between the Plexi, 800, and HBE’s. @Elric might have all of them :ROFLMAO: and could speak better to the modules within the same family tree.

We could compare anything against Helix variants and question value, but I don’t think people interested in building a modular analog rack setup is necessarily the same person looking for a Stomp. (Or prohibited from being interested in both)
Sure, was just trying to compare the pricing where "mostly just a rack enclosure with some electronics to support the modules" costs as much as "complex digital modeling all-in-one product." It's kind of like how I say Fractal's FC foot controllers are ridiculously expensive when they cost almost as much as a Helix LT while being "dumb" control units where the Axe-Fx 3 is doing all the heavy lifting.

You’d probably be an extreme outlier, as I don’t see many people wanting to do cab switching with their Synergy rigs. (Though I get the appeal, theoretically)
Most don't because it's expensive and not that practical.

I generally find within most gain structures you will always find similarities, or more than likely dial it all in similarly based on personal taste. But on the other hand I see plenty of people who love a particular style (Marshall for ex.) and appreciate the little nuances. I don’t think modeling is necessarily immune to that either. How many people find an IR or two they love and use it for everything? Or, how many modelers have 8 Fender amps, which is about 6-7 more than anyone needs. :ROFLMAO: I could throw a dart and not care which one it lands on.

I don’t think it’s terribly difficult to discern between a 6505, IICP, Powerball, Deliverance or Uber modules, but YMMV. I haven’t actually bought a Marshall based module but I’d be pretty sure there would be differences between the Plexi, 800, and HBE’s. @Elric might have all of them :ROFLMAO: and could speak better to the modules within the same family tree.

I'd care more about e.g Fryette Pitbull + SLO modules -> Syn2 -> 5050 poweramp -> 4x12 with Fanes + 4x12 with V30s. I could run the Fryette module into the 4x12 Fane cab, and SLO module into 4x12 V30 cab.

If I had just one 4x12 V30 cab, I wouldn't care about the nuances between e.g Diezel VH4 vs Friedman HBE vs SLO - they end up in a similar ballpark after I've dialed them to my liking whereas those amp/cab combinations end up being more distinctly different because of that speaker effect on the final sound.

I'd care more about e.g Fryette Pitbull + SLO modules -> Syn2 -> 5050 poweramp -> 4x12 with Fanes + 4x12 with V30s. I could run the Fryette module into the 4x12 Fane cab, and SLO module into 4x12 V30 cab.

That would be a wildly awesome rig, and I’d love to play it! lol

It's all possible with a little bit of money and an amp switcher (or two).

If you're doing it right there will be a modeler or two in there.

Shocked Baby GIF

RIDICULOUSLY bitching pedal.
Vesta-Slate-Grey-1.png

This AMT one is out of Russia and is marketed as Peavey 5150 but it's got a cult following
for being a Boogie in a box. I've had many come and go but this one is a keeper.
It really does sound pretty much like the V:25 in IIC+ mode!

amtp2_3.png

Last edited:
I'm a bit of an AMT fanboy; my current fave is the AMT R/S Lead

Recorded this lil demo song with it plugged straight in to my interface and was pretty pleased with it

I'm a bit of an AMT fanboy; my current fave is the AMT R/S Lead

Recorded this lil demo song with it plugged straight in to my interface and was pretty pleased with it

Did you ever try the brick series pedals, with a tube built in? I had a P1 years ago and thought it was pretty decent.

I wouldn't mind trying the vt1 brick as Id love to get my hands on a deliverance/fryette on the cheap. Byou don't get many demos of them on YouTube.

That's what my clip is; the R/S Lead is the Recto/Soldano Brick

01.jpg

I previously had the R1 which was also awesome as hell, but the R/S is even better
Ah yeah, I should have twigged - there's an S1 and R2, but only the brick series combined both into the R/S !

Back on topic, after the Amt P1, I had the vh4 pedal which was great straight into a matrix gt1000 and cab, and even better using the power amp models in the atomic amplifire.

I ended up selling both after I got my kemper as I have some great vh4 profiles anyway, and it was just gathering dust.

After that I picked up a Peavey rockmaster for cheap which is also gathering dust 😅

I've debated selling it, if you remember let em know!

Fyi it does have an issue with the switching jacks in the many FX loops. The cure is to put a patch cable in the correct loop to fix it, so I didn't bother taking it to a tech.

I've debated selling it, if you remember let em know!

Fyi it does have an issue with the switching jacks in the many FX loops. The cure is to put a patch cable in the correct loop to fix it, so I didn't bother taking it to a tech.

Paging @Ibanez_76

Think they are in Europe though.

Back