Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Soldano SLO

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters
If we're talking straight up "heavy metal" a'la Priest/Dio/Accept a wall of 800's would do nicely.

My favourite hair metal tones all seemed to be either some kind of tweaked Marshall (I'll count an ADA MP-1 in here) or Mark series amp. Same deal for thrash tones too.

Having someone like Michael Wagener behind the desk would be pretty nice as well :D

If we're talking straight up "heavy metal" a'la Priest/Dio/Accept a wall of 800's would do nicely.

My favourite hair metal tones all seemed to be either some kind of tweaked Marshall (I'll count an ADA MP-1 in here) or Mark series amp. Same deal for thrash tones too.

Having someone like Michael Wagener behind the desk would be pretty nice as well :D

Yes Viv with Dio he had such a killer tone, and his playing on those 2 first albums was on fire

If we're talking straight up "heavy metal" a'la Priest/Dio/Accept a wall of 800's would do nicely
I try and try to use the 800 in the fractal units for these type of tones but I just can't get it there. If you have any tips I'm all ears...and if not that's fine too :rofl

I've been loving the Plexi 100w High for 80's hard rock sounds lately in the FM3. Just push the gain up to about 6.5 and it works really well with a superstrat.
I find that I normally gravitate towards a Plexi plus an overdrive of some kind (SD-1 is my fav). The 800 is really cool as well, but I slightly prefer the roundness of the Plexi.
It's like instant VHII even without the variac in use - I guess because the amp is so saggy already. :headbang

+1 on the ADA MP-1 as well. Voted other.

8476F39C-A8DE-4AE4-B112-12927695DB2A.jpeg

Splawns are on the short list of amps if I go back. I had a nitro which was fine but the QR seems to be where it's at

i had a pro stock and a quick rod, and the quick rod, right out of the box, was the perfect 80s metal tone.

here are some lousy clips from my blog which i used to keep more updated when i had a ton of gear living in NYC.

perfect 80s metal tone.
Thing is Andre is that Metal tones from the 80's varied quite a bit, like the glam/ Hair metal tones
were very different from the Thrash scene and the Hard rock Scene as well
all of them at one point or another used JCM800's

Thing is Andre is that Metal tones from the 80's varied quite a bit, like the glam/ Hair metal tones
were very different from the Thrash scene and the Hard rock Scene as well
all of them at one point or another used JCM800's
true. when i think 80s (i graduated high school in 1987), i think hair metal. :)

Marshall JVM is also a much underrated amp that can also do this with no pedal.

Back