Your back-up rig?

I dont have a back up since my gear dont leave my room, but i always wonder if my modeler (Fm9) craps out what ever will i do as I use it 3 Hrs a day or more :crazy
Might consider a HX stomp somewhere down the GAS line :idk

Kemper Stage... my Badlander 25 and its pedalboard as my backup.

Reverse Paramount Network GIF by Yellowstone

I almost always have a backup rig, but have never had to use one yet. As of now, I have a BluGuitar Amp-1 ME as a backup for my Kemper Stage. But, that is going to change to my Badlander 25 and its pedalboard as my backup. I may have some difficult decisions ahead of me as to which one I will actually use as my gig rig.
Wouldn't you want to use the one with functional tone controls?

:bag
:sofa

• Haha
Reactions: JT
Don't gig currently but I have options if I get back at it.

When I did covers I kept a Korg Pandora in my gig bag in case my floor modeler went down. That turned into a Nux Mighty Plug into a DI. I never needed to fall back on these, thank Satan.

After a while I'd run my modeler into a combo, slaving the power amp, and could use just either the modeler or amp if any of them went down. Never had to do that either.

I'd usually have IEMs to fall back on too for my own monitoring. I have a Behringer XR18 that has some Sansamp style preamp effects if a modeler/amp went down. I actually had to do that for a bassist at our last high profile gig we had.

Only once did a guitar go down and it wasn't just a string, but wiring in the output jack when my soldering skills were toddler level. I didn't have a backup guitar but my singer gave me his guitar to cover the rest of the set and I hot wired my guitar at our next break before the last set of a NYE party.

A lot has to go down before it goes silent in my corner.

I play stereo, so 2 small amps on stage.
My board hides a small ss poweramp…so 1 amp can go down without impact ;)
Theres 2 preamps on my board…together with the amp..that makes 4
Theres a small modeler on my board…that alone would get me through a gig.

I guess my powersupply is the biggest risk factor…that would force “straight into (multi channel) amp…I’ll survive ;)

anyway, my strategy…put stuff in your standard rig you actually use…and make sure there is some redundancy.

my rig technically already has built in backups. if my helix dies i could just go straight into my 5153 or vice versa. but i still bring my quilter tone block 200 with a ds-1 bc they are small and i overthink things.
Same.

Whether it's my full Helix or Stomp XL, if either one goes down, I'd just run straight into the H&K GM Deluxe 40 that I'm using. I keep the midi pedal for it, next to my spare tire, under my trunk. If the head goes down, just change presets to a modeling preset, bypass the head, and keep going.

The spare tire section of my SUV is a veritable music store :rofl. I have XLR cables, extension cables, IEC cables, midi cables, instrument cables, and speaker cables in there.

The spare tire section of my SUV is a veritable music store :rofl. I have XLR cables, extension cables, IEC cables, midi cables, instrument cables, and speaker cables in there.

Ha, I just started this with my new car, too. Power bars, speaker cables, mic cables, so far... :rofl

Last edited:
I never play without a backup, I’ve had some super high quality expensive amps fail on me at gigs. I’m a little paranoid about gear failures at gigs

Right now my AxeFX and SY-1000 act as backups for each other. Before that when I was running an amp I had the DSL40 ready as a backup for the /13

Everyone who has an FM9/3 should have an HX Stomp as their backup. Everyone playing with amps should have a Super Crush 100 as a backup. They're just too reasonably priced not to, IMO.

Back in the day I was raw dogging every gig. 1 amp, 1 guitar, that rig was the rig. If it died, so did I. I’m actually surprised I never really ran into trouble.

These days I’m mostly showing up with Helix and a guitar with some extra cables and strings. I grabbed a Tonex for backup but my other guitarist is married to that thing now and I need to decide whether I want to pump even more $$$ into the HX ecosystem and get a stomp, or hang for a bit to see if any next gen stuff is on the way.

Back