You know someone shouldn't be using digital when...

What's an "open G"? Is it some form of C chord? ;)

Our singer strums an acoustic at home, and wants us to learn this campfire song where it
is literally just a guy singing and strumming a G chord. He's been hammering us about it
for more than a month now. It's not hard. Just not a "band" song with two guitarists and
5 people in our band. Play it for your wife at home, dude. :hmm

Anyways, last week he brought it up again, and looks at the other guitarist in the band who has gigged
hundreds of times and we have learned a bunch of tunes over the last 20 years. Says, "Give me your guitar.
I'll show you how to play it.."

Say what?! :knit

Guitarist does so, and then sits down. Singer straps on guitar and strums an open G chord. Wonder of
wonders!!

After rehearsal I asked him, "How did you not murder him right there in front of us all?"

He said, "It took all my strength not to." :LOL:

So I have the free version of Amplitube 5 which is limited to a handful of amps, cabinets, etc.
Why am I reading all these thread’s about the TONEX pedal and captures ?
Oh mighty Gear Forum gurus …

Help out an old man with limited knowledge about all things digital 😂

So I have the free version of Amplitube 5 which is limited to a handful of amps, cabinets, etc.

Tone X and Amplitube are two different programs. Tone X captures an amp at specific settings, Amplitube is a model that you can more accurately edit parameters on.

Triggered.

We ve all done this at least once right?

Right?

Not me, of course, but I know a guy.
Spider-Man Reaction GIF

I'm kind of the opposite of that guy.

Sold no gear to buy new gear, I just let it accumulate.

Avoid the deep parameters like the plague, don't mention them on forums or to other players, don't ask for help with them, only do firmware updates every few years.

Spend all of my time playing and less than 3% of my time tweaking.

But there's a downside.

I know I'm not getting as much out of my modeler as I could. I know I could accomplish a lot more, particularly regarding recording, if I dove into the manuals and spent more time configuring and adjusting stuff.

But I tend to settle for "good enough" and don't go diving down the rabbit hole trying to get the last 3% of improvement in tone after doing A/B comparisons with other gear and then being dissatisfied with the one that I like slightly less, selling it, buying new gear, rinse and repeat.

I keep saying I need to dive into the Leon Todd videos and really learn how to make my FM9 dance. I've been saying that for a good while now.

But on the upside, I do play a lot. I'm playing every day now after laying off while living in a apartment building where musical instruments are not allowed. I thought I'd use headphones, hated 'em, and just stopped playing for months while I was there but I moved and I'm back to regular practice.

Like many, the guy in the OP finds it easier to fantasize about playing than actually doing it and the gear merry-go-round helps him to maintain the fantasy. I've gotten to the point where I pretty much don't buy gear anymore but hanging out here and the other place I do hear about stuff I didn't know about and jump on it now and then like World's Best Cables made out of the same stuff they use for Mogami Gold but at half the price.

I picked up a Blackstar St. James because at 72 with a bad back, bad knees, and three hernia operations under my belt a 24 lb. 50 watt tube amp is a godsend. But I'm not looking to buy new gear, let alone sell gear to buy new gear. I quench that thirst for more by hanging out here and learning from you guys. My GAS is for more knowledge not more gear with 150 page manuals I have to read in order to learn how to use.

We all guilty!! :LOL:

To be fair, I generally have a specific intent with a guitar that I have in mind before I buy it, which was the case with the two LP’s and I was right about my assumptions on both the bridge pickups. A JB ain’t gonna sound like an EMG81, which is the sound I wanted out of the Edwards and I just wanted the Orville to be a balls-out ripper, which a stock, vintage-voiced PAF isn’t really going to do like a Suhr Aldrich.

I intended on changing the pickups in my sunburst Strat, Solar, Spector, SZ, RG7620 and probably some others, but they all still have the pickups they came with minus the SZ, which took me almost 20 years to finally swap out. So I *DO* check them out before making the final decision, but with the LP’s I had a decent idea of what to expect when they showed up.

• Their first complaint is "it doesn't sound like my favorite tube amp even though I have done nothing more than loaded a factory preset".
  • They bought the highest end modeler from brand X but didn't consider what it should be plugged into so their budget only allowed for a Headrush "FRFR". This is the same person who buys a Two Rock to plug into a Harley Benton cab.
  • Reading the manual is too much work. Isn't this thing just meant to magically figure out what I want it to do?!
  • They bought the unit that is a full studio in a box but really just needed one overdrive into a Fender amp sound.

It's the Nature of the Beast that is Gear Forums. Not exclusive to digital. :idk

Goes like this.

New guitar incoming. Can you recommend some pickups to put in it?

Uhmm... does it not come with pickups?

Why yes, it does. I am just assuming I will want to change them.

Have you heard them yet?

No, I have not.

Ok.
YES!

It's also not JUST for digital. We all remember the other place:

"___________ amp is on the way, which speaker goes best with it?"

Or my all time favorite:

"Just bought _____________ amp, what should I expect?"

What should you expect? You mean you didn't find that out BEFORE you bought it? Dunbass.

To be fair, I generally have a specific intent with a guitar that I have in mind before I buy it, which was the case with the two LP’s and I was right about my assumptions on both the bridge pickups. A JB ain’t gonna sound like an EMG81, which is the sound I wanted out of the Edwards and I just wanted the Orville to be a balls-out ripper, which a stock, vintage-voiced PAF isn’t really going to do like a Suhr Aldrich.

I intended on changing the pickups in my sunburst Strat, Solar, Spector, SZ, RG7620 and probably some others, but they all still have the pickups they came with minus the SZ, which took me almost 20 years to finally swap out. So I *DO* check them out before making the final decision, but with the LP’s I had a decent idea of what to expect when they showed up.

I hear ya!

I assumed I wouldn't like the JB, but for now it is right up my alley. :chef

Diversity over redundancy is something I can get on board with. :beer

Free huh Cheech :D
you GAS'ing for Amplitube5 Max?

Tone X and Amplitube are two different programs. Tone X captures an amp at specific settings, Amplitube is a model that you can more accurately edit parameters on.
Free huh Cheech :D
you GAS'ing for Amplitube5 Max?
Hahaha 🤪
Hey Mike I completely forgot that I had purchased Amplitube 4 a few years ago.
I had deleted it some time ago.
With all this recent chatter about IK media I checked the site to find that I now have a limited free version of AT5.

To be fair, I generally have a specific intent with a guitar that I have in mind before I buy it

Me too, multiple intents really! My first intent is to get a new sound that is very marginally different from the sounds I can coax from my other <insert number> guitars, and which I could probably get very close to with careful eq of what I already have; but perfection is the goal, isn't it? Second, my intent is to keep me busy watching guitar ads while at work, because I don't already have enough to do. Third, to fill room at home, because it is too big and it feels kindof empty. Fourth, to spend my hobby budget; it feels sad to leave it unused as growing inflation will eat it up quickly. Fifth, to feel accepted in an Internet guitar forum where most people behave in the same way. These seem to me all valid reasons to purchase a guitar and they all played a role in the purchase of my (used) Telecaster which I got just yesterday. Do we already have a maple vs rosewood thread on this forum? :unsure: (I went with rosewood).

Caveat to my post above...

I stopped buying guitars. I'm good with guitars. I don't have a vast collection by forum standards but non players think it's a lot.

But it's the usual suspects; Strats, Teles, LPs, 335s, an Explorer type (Dean Z) and a D-28. That's more than enough to play the stuff I play.

But amps are another story.

I keep thinking "If I had this amp life would be better" even though I have the amp bases covered as well as the guitars; vintage Fender combos, modern high gain combo, modern high gain heads, 1x12s, 2x12s, 4x12s, multiple modelers, etc.

Is it an illusion? Fantasy? GAS?

Status on an internet forum is the last thing on my mind. When I get the itch to pull the trigger on a new amp I'm not thinking about posting about it, I'm thinking about what incremental functionality it has that my other amps don't, that "marginally different" thing mentioned above.

Despite having three 100 watt heads, I'm lusting after a fourth. If I had cash to spare I would buy it.

As Yoda would say "The Amp GAS is strong with this one."

Back