You can eat my pudding...

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
Because Ima have my cake and eat it too. I think this is the ONLY way I'm going to be happy. One or the other? NO! ALL OF IT!

355220110_821437716162719_7566227267531805178_n.jpg

giggle laughing GIF

#masochist

I think it's more that I have surrendered to the fact that I need a lot of real estate to get through a gig easier. I am still contemplating if I want to do my synth bits on the GP-10 or continue to use a 61 key keyboard. The aesthetic of using the keyboard live is better but it's one less thing I have to set up at gigs.

The aesthetic of using the keyboard live is better but it's one less thing I have to set up at gigs.
I don't know why, but I've always preferred the "look" of a stage set up without a physical keyboard. (Unfortunately, execution of the actual music tends to be better on a physical keyboard than a guitar-to-MIDI solution.)

FWIW; the GP10's ability to be a keyboard substitute for what you would normally do with a keyboard is sorely lacking.
Yeah there's quite a bit of setup to get it even close. Like setting up one or two strings to be an octave down or whatnot. I don't do a whole lot so it would be nice to cheat. Right now I'm only doing chords for turn up the radio and need a B3 type patch for some black crowes and steppenwolf stuff

Right now I'm only doing chords for turn up the radio and need a B3 type patch for some black crowes and steppenwolf stuff
"I'd like to help you, but I can't. I'd like to tell you that Jam Origin MIDI Guitar and SoundFont Pro will get you a bunch of amazing B3-style organs for about $25 bucks , but I can't..." ;)

"I'd like to help you, but I can't. I'd like to tell you that Jam Origin MIDI Guitar and SoundFont Pro will get you a bunch of amazing B3-style organs for about $25 bucks , but I can't..." ;)

Sounds like it'd work if I wanted to involve a laptop

Sounds like it'd work if I wanted to involve a laptop
No laptop. Just an iPad or an iPhone. (If the latter, pull the SIM card or disable all telecom stuff, obviously.) One USB-to-Lightning cable to handle all the audio and MIDI. iPad is an easier UI, just by virtue of size, but iPhone is more easily hidden away on a small pedalboard, after you set-and-forget all the sounds you need to get through your set. (Also disable any power management that would interrupt performance, obviously.)

Not perfect but very, very good. Coincidentally, I just posted a list of "not perfect" to their Facebook page this morning. In case it lends any perspective:

Are there any plans for an update to the iOS version of MIDI Guitar in the near future? I'm very happy with the application, but there are a few issues that I'd like to see resolved/ improved:

1. Pitch Bend is a bit of a mess. I haven't found any way to prevent notes bending flat (nearly a half step?) once released or muted. It's so bad that I've just resolved to leave Pitch Bend disabled, and use affected guitar tones when I need something more expressive.

2. The audio output is currently limited to stereo pairs. It would be very helpful to be able to send audio to a single audio channel, for splitting to FR amplification in a hybrid rig with separate guitar amplification. If mono output channels can't be added, then a utility audio FX block allowing for hard-panning left and right would suffice.

3. It would be IMMENSELY helpful if MIDI Guitar had assignable MIDI CC control for Master and Mix settings. The former, because not all AUV3 plugins support CC7 (or anything else) for volume. The latter because crossfading between guitar and synth is a very common requirement.

4. The tuning options are very nearly sufficient, but I often play tuned a m3 down to Db (a fairly common tuning for classic metal, etc.) and MIDI Guitar stops responding below Eb. Is it possible to extend this a whole step lower?

I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts on these points - especially Jam Origin's! Thanks!

Last edited:
No laptop. Just an iPad or an iPhone. (If the latter, pull the SIM card or disable all telecom stuff, obviously.) One USB-to-Lightning cable to handle all the audio and MIDI.

Not perfect but very, very good. Coincidentally, I just posted a list of "not perfect" to their Facebook page this morning. In case it lends any perspective:

I do have a retired 7+ but the keyboard I am using has some pretty decent built in sounds. I cant think of how I'd use it for guitar MIDI w/GP-10

I do have a retired 7+ but the keyboard I am using has some pretty decent built in sounds. I cant think of how I'd use it for guitar MIDI w/GP-10
7+ would be fine. I was running MIDI Guitar with a 6 (with a cracked screen LOL) for quite a while.

The GP-10 wouldn't be involved at all. You'd just plug the cable into the Helix LT's USB jack, and the other end into the phone, and Bob's your uncle. Jam Origin now supports AUv3 plugins (I'm really into the aforementioned SoundFont Pro at the moment), so you just save presets with your plugins loaded in place, and use PC messages from the Helix to select them. (I recommend having a first preset that's completely silent.)

Back