Yep. I have one.

Me too
1660665930012.jpeg

I’m up to 3-

41C6EF3D-5CD1-41E9-BFFB-EDA3F00C301C.jpeg

A Spector PULSE I bought early in 2021 that I absolutely LOVE. It was only $880, ebony board, stainless steel frets, roasted maple neck, EMG’s and a Spector Tone Pump. It does exactly what I needed it to and about a month after I got it, Cliff updated the pitch block in the III and pretty much made my reasons for the other basses obsolete.

My former bass player gave me the Peavey Millennium when I needed to track some bass, it’s really a killer bass that I didn’t put much thought into the first year I had it. It’s a 35” 5-string I keep down a step for tracking heavier stuff. That’s a Warwick Streamer Standard 5-string on the end that I thought was going to solve all my bass problems and only created more of them. That bass sounds like shit with anything but smaller strings and standard tuning. I went through $400 in strings in under a month trying to find the right gauges to tune it down and it wasn’t happening. Smaller strings/standard tuning and it sounds GREAT, just like a Warwick should sound with the round, tubey tone.

Now I just keep the Spector down a step and use the pitch block in the III to go wherever I need to go. I just don’t get rid of stuff!

My main bass is a 200 dollar hollar from GC. Ibby Talman with active preamp, dual concentric Bass/Treble -/+ pot, dual concentric volume/blend. Chunky thick and slaptastic with both pickups blended equally.
20220907_210017.jpg

There are a few Squier P Basses and a cheapo Jackson with a glued together headstock laying around in the kids room.

I have a few... I got that Rick a few years ago and whoever owned it before tried to polish it with god knows what and just trashed the finish plus made it stink like chemicals.. right now its taken apart and was planning on having it custom repainted.. but that was before covid. I really need to bring it back to life soon.
The green one was my first bass, some heavy as crap MIJ Fender clone that went thru a full blown punk phase in the late 80's :bag

1973 Gibson SB-450 (Large).jpg
cordoba mini (Large).jpg
ding (Large).jpg
greeny (Large) (Large).jpg
GUILD (Large).jpg
pbass (Large).jpg
Rickenbacker Bass 4001 (Large).jpg

I played only bass for about 6 years after I fractured my right wrist at a karate tournament. Went back to guitar after surgery, still have one, an STR LS-648. I had a one of almost everything for a while there though :) The STR is better than either my Ken Smith or Fodera.
It's the one in the middle of this shot

group.jpg

I have a few... I got that Rick a few years ago and whoever owned it before tried to polish it with god knows what and just trashed the finish plus made it stink like chemicals.. right now its taken apart and was planning on having it custom repainted.. but that was before covid. I really need to bring it back to life soon.
The green one was my first bass, some heavy as crap MIJ Fender clone that went thru a full blown punk phase in the late 80's :bag

View attachment 228
that dingwall tho... want. :p

there is one of those fs here locally, he wants 1800

I have 3

The black Yamaha I've had since new in 1992(?) The guy I jammed with back in school was way better at guitar and I wanted to start a band, it was the first electric instrument I ever got.

Later in high school I played with a contemporary (rockish) church band. Everyone in it was in their 30's and up.. I was 16 when I joined.. It's where I really cut my chops and learned to improvise... a lot. After that I wanted to be a rockstar so bye-bye bass, hello guitar and poontang! (not really)

In hindsight had I stuck with bass I could have had better luck playing with higher caliber players but a 20 year old ego and all that...:rawk

I picked up the LTD a few years back for a smokin' deal and it's awesome. Totally yin/yang to the Yamaha which is great for recording.

If anyone here has never played a ubass, do yourself a favor and try one. SO MUCH FUN!!

JyMffZa.jpg

just for shiggles I actually have an example of all three if anyone is so inclined :poop:

Yamaha 4 string

LTD 5 string

UBASS!!

everything recorded through helix

CFB1AC14-804E-49EB-A63C-1C8350E58F29.jpeg

I don’t know anything about basses, but wanted one for some bass lines and just to play around with. Found this used, but never played, for a cheap price and picked it up. :idk

I’m up to 3-

View attachment 10

A Spector PULSE I bought early in 2021 that I absolutely LOVE. It was only $880, ebony board, stainless steel frets, roasted maple neck, EMG’s and a Spector Tone Pump. It does exactly what I needed it to and about a month after I got it, Cliff updated the pitch block in the III and pretty much made my reasons for the other basses obsolete.

My former bass player gave me the Peavey Millennium when I needed to track some bass, it’s really a killer bass that I didn’t put much thought into the first year I had it. It’s a 35” 5-string I keep down a step for tracking heavier stuff. That’s a Warwick Streamer Standard 5-string on the end that I thought was going to solve all my bass problems and only created more of them. That bass sounds like s**t with anything but smaller strings and standard tuning. I went through $400 in strings in under a month trying to find the right gauges to tune it down and it wasn’t happening. Smaller strings/standard tuning and it sounds GREAT, just like a Warwick should sound with the round, tubey tone.

Now I just keep the Spector down a step and use the pitch block in the III to go wherever I need to go. I just don’t get rid of stuff!
Off-topic, how’s the Solar explorer play?

Off-topic, how’s the Solar explorer play?

I love that guitar. A lot. Killer med-C shaped neck and the craftsmanship is very legitimately on par with any 90's MIJ Ibanez I've ever owned, played or seen and it's a B-stock. It took me like 5 minutes to find the 'scratch' when I got it and it'd take me 5 minutes to find it again right now. I used to say the neck was on the side of a larger med-C but after getting that Strat my perspective is all jacked up, everything feels like a twig now.

It definitely won't be my last Solar. Actually, I was looking at a baritone right before I found that Strat and I suspect one of those or the Sustainer 7-string will end up in a shopping cart soon. If I were playing in a metal band and needed consistency between guitars/tunings, I'd just go with a couple Solars over anything else right now. Unless Ken Lawrence wanted to start giving me guitars.

Just grabbed this for cheap this month.

rs=w:1440,h:1440

I love those. That type of pickup is so super punchy.

I heard once that the reason they changed the pickup design to two offset slugs for each string rather than one slug directly under the string was because people were blowing speakers in the bass amps. I don't know if that's true or not, but with how punchy these are I wouldn't be surprised

Faux bass sounds were one of the reasons I owned one of these. If you're writing your own material you need a bass. Basslines will make you play what is needed and when. You have to play tight with the drums or you lose impact. Guitarists with a bass in their hands tend to overplay.

p.s regular bass scale is a tad too large for me. 30 or 32" scale might be better. left handed of course...just to make my life more difficult. :rolleyes:

Back