why tyler guitar necks feel so amazing...

andergtr

Roadie
lots of people who play james tyler guitars understand why the necks feel so amazing. here is a closeup of the fingerboard rolling/edging that tyler does. it looks almost like a scalloped board, but it is just on the very edges of the fingerboard.

this gives the neck the feeling of a neck which has been played for decades.

i have my tech, rafael barajas (currently head of the yamaha guitars custom shop and formerly of james tyler guitars), do this on pretty much all my guitars with unfinished fingerboards. it makes even my cheap squiers play and feel amazing.

6BC82B99-3DAD-44F0-AC47-849C4F7BC286.JPG

34CFB6D4-7147-41F0-BD9E-EFFF3F74FA8A.JPG

96FF55A9-CFDE-498D-A45A-DC42C5CF624F.JPG

D2D27D73-0B9B-4792-B7F6-233B5752ECAF.JPG

Also the neck profile is like some of the nicest vintage fender ones. The only way I can describe it to anyone who hasn’t played one is as fat as possible without getting in the way at all.

Thanks for the close up pics! I’ve rolled some edges before, but never that much. Will try this on a neck I’m working on.

D

Is JT still opposed to fitting stainless steel frets? If he is the pressure must be mounting. Almost all guitars that you expect to be his competition either fit it as standard or offer it.

Is JT still opposed to fitting stainless steel frets? If he is the pressure must be mounting. Almost all guitars that you expect to be his competition either fit it as standard or offer it.
he is now doing stainless frets. my tech, rafael barajas, who is head of the yamaha guitars custom shop and former tyler employee, says that nearly all the refretting work he does now personally is stainless. everyone wants it.

so i am not surprised that tyler is now offering stainless. they have been for a while now. they just didn't publicize it.

I was always of the view that if you got everything else right and the difference was only between nickel and stainless in the exact same size the difference would be so small that you would not de bothered. I never was but I have customers that still say they can hear it. I would say that in the circumstances I outlined it’s not an issue. The difference that most people describe to me is when they play a modern guitar with ss57110 and compare it to a vintage Fender or Gibson and attribute most of the difference to the frets.

I was always of the view that if you got everything else right and the difference was only between nickel and stainless in the exact same size the difference would be so small that you would not de bothered. I never was but I have customers that still say they can hear it. I would say that in the circumstances I outlined it’s not an issue. The difference that most people describe to me is when they play a modern guitar with ss57110 and compare it to a vintage Fender or Gibson and attribute most of the difference to the frets.
i don't hear any difference, and if i did, it would have to be A/B-ing two guitars right next to each other with identical specs. in the context of playing in an ensemble...good luck.

i swear that people have way too much fucking time on their hands. i choose to focus instead of my playing...which needs way more work than my gear. :)

i don't hear any difference, and if i did, it would have to be A/B-ing two guitars right next to each other with identical specs. in the context of playing in an ensemble...good luck.

i swear that people have way too much f*****g time on their hands. i choose to focus instead of my playing...which needs way more work than my gear. :)
My problem is people pay me to look at this shit but you’re right. Even a different pick makes more difference.

Stainless steel frets don’t really sound that different to me. Even if they did contribute to tonal change, is it really that, or is it a slightly different pot, cap, whatever? People need to put away their corks and dog whistles.

I usually do this:
IMG_1134.jpeg

Less than the Tyler but the same idea. I wonder if the Tyler was originally like it to leave as much around the frets as possible (for future refretting) but get this feel or even more.

Back