Who Uses Side Fret Markers?

I never look at the side markers.
If I slung my guitar way down low I could see them being useful to me.
I’d be all over the map without having the fret markers honestly .

Yep and yep.

If I’m standing I rarely see the fingerboard at all and if I do look down I’m only using the side dots.

The Solar has nothing but the funky inlay around the 12th fret that doesn’t really tell you much and I keep the thing so low the guitar leans forward anyway.

IMG_6643.jpeg

I think because I’ve stayed in standard and drop-C for so long, between my ear and muscle memory with my fingers I know generally where my hand has to go. I prefer the lack of dots, too. I’d be fine with zero inlay at all or just something decorative on there somewhere not looking out of place.

I don't pay much attention, if any, to the fretboard markers. The side markers though...

One thing I've run into lately is teaching riffs to bandmates. When using a guitar or bass without fret markers, it makes it tougher for them to easily tell what I'm playing - particularly in faster riffs and runs.

I spec'ed a neck with dark side dot markers. Turns out I look at the side dot markers quite a bit when I'm playing live. Ooops.

I've owned guitars with no inlays before without having any real issues but I always prefer having them

Back