What songs would you want to hear sitting in a bar?

I usually go for particularly long live performances by the dead or Phish for best bang for the buck jukebox usage

A couple months ago I (unwittingly) put on a particularly atonal and dark "Stash" by phish that was 30 min long. It was funny but I also felt kind of bad it visibly shifted the whole vibe of the bar and everyone was very obviously uncomfortable and disturbed for quite some time :rofl

I usually go for particularly long live performances by the dead or Phish for best bang for the buck jukebox usage

A couple months ago I (unwittingly) put on a particularly atonal and dark "Stash" by phish that was 30 min long. It was funny but I also felt kind of bad it visibly shifted the whole vibe of the bar and everyone was very obviously uncomfortable and disturbed for quite some time :rofl
Actually, the guy asked me to make some playlists specifically because "if it were up to me, I'd just put some 'dead stuff together that everyone would hate" :rofl :beer

just suggest some songs. Not meant to be rocket science. As the link above notes, it is a cider tasting room. What songs would you want to hear when sitting having a drink in a bar?
I am honestly not a target customer for something like this. I don't drink cyder and I don't hang out in bars. I honestly mostly only go to bars when I am playing there. Occasionally I will go to a bar to watch some of my friends play but I have pretty much stopped doing that too. That is why I shared something from similar situations I have been in with bands. If you are not interested in the advice, ignore it and move on. I just know this is a real thing and have seen it many times.

I'm in Japan right now and have enjoyed jazz in cafes. That would work for a classy bar too for a chill atmosphere for talking.

At the same time, I have truly loathed hearing drivel like "I Want To Feel This Moment" blasted in some shops. Fuck everyone responsible for that song.

There's certain music I LOVE in bars that I find less interesting to listen to in isolation. Really depends on the vibe, and generally I gravitate towards dive bars (usually with a jukebox or emphasis on music) than places that are more high brow. As much as I like hearing songs I'm familiar with, sometimes it works better in the background when its deeper cuts. My favourite experiences are when I'm pulling my phone out to Shazam songs I've never heard before, or that happen to catch my ear.

Psychedelic Soul (like the nuggets compilations) is great. If you dig a bit deeper, the psychedelic stuff that leans more on funk is great too.

Northern Soul is another genre that is awesome when I have a pint in hand but on its own I get distracted quicker.

I also quite like when bars just have a record player and stick to a fairly narrow niche of music that fits the atmosphere of the bar. There's places I've been to that would have albums by Bowie/Dylan/Velvet Underground/Beatles/Eddie Cochran/Johnny Cash. When its an album you just kind of adjust to it and it becomes less of a distraction. I think getting that right really depends on the atmosphere and clientele.

EDIT: Post Punk can also be quite cool, I'd probably get a bit excited walking into a bar playing something like this:

EDIT 2: Also the lofi/alternative 90's stuff can be cool. Beck/Elliott Smith/Beta Band

Last edited:
There's certain music I LOVE in bars that I find less interesting to listen to in isolation. Really depends on the vibe, and generally I gravitate towards dive bars (usually with a jukebox or emphasis on music) than places that are more high brow. As much as I like hearing songs I'm familiar with, sometimes it works better in the background when its deeper cuts. My favourite experiences are when I'm pulling my phone out to Shazam songs I've never heard before, or that happen to catch my ear.

Psychedelic Soul (like the nuggets compilations) is great. If you dig a bit deeper, the psychedelic stuff that leans more on funk is great too.

Northern Soul is another genre that is awesome when I have a pint in hand but on its own I get distracted quicker.

I also quite like when bars just have a record player and stick to a fairly narrow niche of music that fits the atmosphere of the bar. There's places I've been to that would have albums by Bowie/Dylan/Velvet Underground/Beatles/Eddie Cochran/Johnny Cash. When its an album you just kind of adjust to it and it becomes less of a distraction. I think getting that right really depends on the atmosphere and clientele.

EDIT: Post Punk can also be quite cool, I'd probably get a bit excited walking into a bar playing something like this:

Thanks for the Dr. John reference. We seem to have general bar music preferences - playlist is currently pretty post-punk dominated.

Cider tasting definitely calls for select tracks from the album "The Great White North" by Bob & Doug McKenzie:

"This is our album, eh?"
"Gimme A Smoke"
"Coffee Sandwich"
"Ernie's Mom"
"The Twelve Days of Christmas"
"Okay, This is the End, eh?"

Finally, end with a flourish: the prior-mentioned Bob & Doug McKenzie band's hit single (featuring Geddy Lee):

Suggest sprinkling in songs by Morphine. Only seems to show up in cool places, or when they do, to me that place automatically becomes more interesting
Acid jazz, 70's Stones deep cuts, Boards of Canada, a little Trip Hop, Madchester stuff like the Charlatans etc
Keb Mo,,

I just spent last evening in a jazz bar in Kobe. The drummer of the band was kicking all kinds of ass and the bass and piano players were real pros too.

I have missed live music in a relaxed setting where you are there to chill and drink some whisky rather than standing in a crowd watching a band.

Where are my "death metal and chill" bars?

Back