What songs would you want to hear sitting in a bar?

What’s the average customer there? I can see that place being just as much a hang for the local middle aged crew or the younger college crowd.

What’s the average customer there? I can see that place being just as much a hang for the local middle aged crew or the younger college crowd.
This is for the soon-to-open Portland spot. My buddy who owns the company thinks it’s going to be more of a 30s-and-up crowd. I’ve got a whole 90s r&b/hip-hop list, a pretty long indie/Americanna list, and working on more of a rock/heavier one now. His pitch was “a lot of songs that sound familiar, but can’t quite place, but make sure every 4 or 5 songs it’s something people will definitely know.

If the intent is to get a list of songs together to play or for a band for this place, asking a group of musicians is the perfect way to end up with a list most people won't like. Us musician types typically have a different personal play list than those hanging in the places we play. The best way to do it is to find out what the age range is of the folks in there and cater to that age group.

You need to keep updating the list as time goes on. I can't tell you how sad it is to me to swing by a bar where a band is playing and go in for a drink and hearing the same songs I heard a decade ago. I tend to not stay long when that happens and am not in any hurry to stop back in there, at least to see the band that was playing.

If the intent is to get a list of songs together to play or for a band for this place, asking a group of musicians is the perfect way to end up with a list most people won't like. Us musician types typically have a different personal play list than those hanging in the places we play. The best way to do it is to find out what the age range is of the folks in there and cater to that age group.

You need to keep updating the list as time goes on. I can't tell you how sad it is to me to swing by a bar where a band is playing and go in for a drink and hearing the same songs I heard a decade ago. I tend to not stay long when that happens and am not in any hurry to stop back in there, at least to see the band that was playing.
No band.

Still applicable. If you put a list together of what we all like and then DJ it, you may find out that the bulk of the people in the place are not fond of the songs. I have run into this with every band I have been in and some DJ gigs.

You also have to take the atmosphere into account. Is there a dance floor? Is getting people dancing a goal? Or just something playing the background? I think that along with the age range of the patrons will get you in a range that will work.

Still applicable. If you put a list together of what we all like and then DJ it, you may find out that the bulk of the people in the place are not fond of the songs. I have run into this with every band I have been in and some DJ gigs.

You also have to take the atmosphere into account. Is there a dance floor? Is getting people dancing a goal? Or just something playing the background? I think that along with the age range of the patrons will get you in a range that will work.
just suggest some songs. Not meant to be rocket science. As the link above notes, it is a cider tasting room. What songs would you want to hear when sitting having a drink in a bar?

Back