What song/songs are just out of your league, that you'd wish to play - What's the big white whale you still can't catch?

BahamaDada

Roadie
What's the song/what are the songs, that you'd be willing to play desperately, but they are just out of your reach? The big white whale you just can't ctahc/kill.

Thought came to me while watching My Name Is Earl. In a s3 episode "Never Going Back Again" was played and it reminded me how my wife wants me to learn that song for years and every time I try I desperately fail, bc I can't fingerpick properly.

Other "big white whale" is the solo of Another Day. Everything's fine until that fast part (you know which one) is coming. Parts before? They sit. Parts after that? Learned them, the flow. But that 4 seconds in that whole solo? Unobtainium.

I wold LOVE to be able to play "Apostrophe" by FZ! He is my musical God and that is my favorite song from him!! From what I understand, it is 3 or 4 guitar parts all layered which is one reason why it did not get played live much ;~(( If I could have someone show me how to get the flow on that with a single guitar, I would be all ears and would be happy to spend the time.

I have attempted "Never Going Back Again" twice I think and although I could probably get there, I opted for lower hanging fruit (just so many songs I want to learn), lazy F that I am ;~))

“Cliffs Of Dover” and Petrucci’s “Scarred” solo. Started putting legit work into both last year but ultimately got distracted by writing. I’m either REALLY inspired to work on/learn something someone else wrote, or I want nothing to do with learning someone else’s stuff and want to focus on my own. I jump between the two sometimes more than once in a day and it doesn’t help progress much.

I will say though, learning and executing Not Again by Shawn Lane would be an achievement I'd feel pretty good about. :grin

The 'moto perpetuo' section of Fracture (King Crimson). I worked on it seriously for a year or so and had it worked up at about 8 BPM shy of the original, but could never play the entire piece at full speed. It's just a lot of continuous picking for a very long time.

The solo in "Sympathy For The Devil" by the Rolling Stones.

Just can't get that 17th fret E-string bend high enough... and the tone is impossible!

:sneaky:

I always wanted to be able to play Far Beyond The Sun, but it’ll never happen.

Also some of Chet Atkins songs like Jerry’s Breakdown and Black Mountain Rag. My finger picking just isn’t quite strong enough to get those sounding good.

Back