What Modeler

Boyz Ii Men 90S GIF

I am currently happy w the FM9 for me to make a jump
I would probably want a smaller more compact unit like the QC or a bit bigger
A really good user experience w GUI
Solid amp tones
I am not really locked into a brand I like the Fractal stuff a lot and have used it for years
But Line6 NDSP , Fractal if the product matched my needs I would have no problem switching ( or buying 1 of everything 😜)

I'm a curious cat, I wanna try them all but money is a high fence to hop on my salary.

I've always been FAS curious since I heard of the company 11 years ago. QC piqued my interest when it first was being talked about but that interest died out pretty quickly. I just started playing with NAM so it's got me thinking about the capture/profiler units again.

Only modern modeler I've owned has been Helix Floor and HX Stomp unless you want to count the "toy" devices like Spark Go and Nu-X Mighty Plug. HX stuff has been good to me so I haven't really felt the deep desire to throw my hard earned at anything else especially since I don't gig these days and am not bringing in that extra income.

I know Boss GT and Kemper like the inside of my pocket, QC is the current weapon of choice. Sold the GT (still think it’s a great unit worth considering), Kemper is still on my studio desk….I have a hard time motivating myself to sell it, it’s been a great tool for so many years.

The only thing I’m curious about is fractal…but even if it as good as I expect it to be, I won’t switch cause of the amount of switches / IOs cranked in the small QC.
So…looking at current offerings…I’m locked into what I got…and I don’t like using multiple platforms.

Not a modeler….bit I am tempted by the H90…such a long legacy of expertise and classic efx…and I expect a bunch of presets/sound I wouldn’t come up with myself, that might trigger some creativity. There seem to be some great synths stuff in there also.
Oeps…If I go for that a might add a tonex one to that so it can be a complete rig…which will end up with me being frustrated to use multiple platforms (annoys me)

I’m also curious about the h90 except the price tag!
The h90 was stellar for the sound. I returned it based on the price tag and the value it brought my setup. I wouldn't have used many of the more advanced algorithms and just using it for the micropitch would certainly be a waste of money. Currently playing with the TMP and I'm liking it so far. Having said that, everyone has different goals. I plugged in, dialed in the 5150 in about a minute and it was great. Others looking for a larger feature set may feel limited. I may end up grabbing the micropitch/ps-6 pedal though if I decide to keep it.

I started with an Alesis Nitro max to dip my toe in as a non drummer. Once I started to get the hang of it I gave the Nitro Max to my youngest grandson and picked up an Alesis Strike Pro SE. It's all I'll ever need. I run it through EZD3 and Superior 3.. I don't use any of the module kits..
it begins there... and somehow you end up with something like this...(oh, maybe just one more drum... I have to play Witch Hunt) SD3 is amazing.

1721345616284.png

Last edited:
I usually try all the serious contenders up to now. No longer feel the need for QC and TMP first gen offerings. Pretty set until a major breakthrough occurs

No desire to try any of them. Imo, Fractal is the best, overall. I went for the Axe III, never having used any type of modeler, and that's where I'm staying. My efforts get spent on becoming a better player. I don't chase gear.

The closest I got to being curious was when I bought the Archetype Petrucci, and that only because it was on sale. It's also great, but I rarely even use it now.

Guitars, that's another story. I want another Majesty, but when I get it, I'm selling 1 or 2 other guitars, and I don't care if I have to sell them cheap. Because the way the economy is, I probably will have to.

I live within (sort of) driving distance to SW, so I’ve tried pretty much every major modeler, plus own the FM9 and Helix Native (and S-Gear, Amplitube, TONEX).
Nothing really comes close to the Fractal, though I love the Helix stuff and very much look forward to the next gen.

Does she play acoustic drums? I have a midrange Yamaha kit with the foam pads and it’s a good feel, not quite like the real thing but better than cheap rubber pads.

Money no object the high end Roland kits are great. Midrange Roland are good too. Just depends on budget and how realistic you need.

I haven’t kept up to date on drums but the limiting factor has always been the module and samples. Usually cheap drums if you record the midi triggers will sound much better with a decent plugin.
Yes acoustic drums small set now..

So which e drum kit is best to get? Would like to add one to my gf,s space for a gift to her
Roland by far. I've talked to several drummers about it and they all told me that the Roland E-drums are the only ones that feel like a regular drum head when you hit them. I'm not a drummer by any means, but the Roland E-drums that I played before I liked a lot and felt comfortable on them. Also a lot of drummers nowadays use E-drums for the kick(s) and toms and use a good acoustic snare and regular non electronic cymbals and hi-hats.

Reactions: YTP
I tried Zoom, Mooer, Amplifire, Helix and several plugins (NAM, Mercuriall, TH-U, Tonocracy...).

Enjoyed all of them. Every single one has its good things. Mooer, the profiling feature. Zoom has great effects, they are in the game for so long that they know how effects must sound (also, they are cheap and easy to use). Atomic sounded great and the hardware was high quality (vastly ugly to use, though). Helix LT was the best experience in terms of power, I/Os and user interface (sold it when realized that it affects the guitar signal too much).

Plugins are really good too. TH-U with its supposed Kemper profiles, Tonocracy with very good modelling and gain standardization of captures, Mercuriall is what I find to have the most realistic amp sims I´ve tried, and NAM... well, We all know it.

So, I´m curious about FAS, obviously. But at the same time, I suspect they´re not soooo much better than the competition nowadays, at least not to justify spending so much money and having to deal with a complex UI. Somehow I think I wouldn´t enjoy it enough.

Kemper, yeah. Sometimes thought about a used Stage, that can be had for 900€ every now and then. But... meh, a little dated, I think, and it doesn´t have the I/Os and routing flexibility of others (Helix, QC, FAS) that would allow me to plug my electric and my acoustic in just one unit (as I did with the Helix LT).

Boss GT-1000. Meh. It was full of issues from the beginning and they don´t seem to be interested in updating the unit frequently. Sometimes I think about the GX-100 to go 4cm with my amp. But again, once going to buy something, I´d like it to have better amp sims just in case I need them anytime, or for rehearsals, etc. It also has not solved issues.

QC. I´ve used it for a few minutes with a friends capture. It´s fantastic, but again... it´s a little off for my personal uses. Too small for an all-in-one unit. Too big for a pedalboard unit.

TMP. Not even going to think about it until a couple of years, minimum.

I keep an eye on the AmpX launch.

To sum up, all the top dogs have some detail that I don´t like, so I´m not buying any of them. I´ll wait and see if the next gens suit me better.

Honestly... I find it hard to justify having anything more expensive than a little Zoom unit if you gig with a real amp. My ears are not going to feel much of a difference with "better" delays, reverbs, choruses... not to speak about the ZNR gate, which in the devices I tried is unmatched, IMO.

I don’t think there are any I haven’t tried… :bag

That a Pro move there. :beer

No stone unturned, right? :LOL:

I am set, but intrigued by small capture devices like the ToneX (
even though I have been there and done that), because I like the
idea of capturing not only some cool amps, but cool rigs. Especially,
when we are talking a $300 price point Used. :idk

I want to try to the current Boss stuff since Line 6 isn’t even close on some of the internal control options, but the overall sound of the older stuff left a bad taste in my mouth.

Back