What if ?

Red-PA-50-for-Website.png

why so its nearly identical to the LXII??
Steve Fryette made a post on TGP a couple years ago talking about the differences. There are a few higher end parts in the LXII that make it a little more expensive to produce. It should sound marginally better, though they are basically the same amp. IMO even if the LXII is a little better sounding, the placement of the presence and depth controls (inside the chasis, available only outside a rack with a screwdriver) is a massive turnoff. I'm constantly messing with them on the Syn5050 and that seems like a strange design choice by Fryette to make it so awkward to use them.

Steve Fryette made a post on TGP a couple years ago talking about the differences. There are a few higher end parts in the LXII that make it a little more expensive to produce. It should sound marginally better, though they are basically the same amp. IMO even if the LXII is a little better sounding, the placement of the presence and depth controls (inside the chasis, available only outside a rack with a screwdriver) is a massive turnoff. I'm constantly messing with them on the Syn5050 and that seems like a strange design choice by Fryette to make it so awkward to use them.
Yeah it's a weird move instead having fuse holders in the front. Afaik another complaint is the fan at low volume is loud, not unsurprisingly because of the 1U format.

Personally I'd probably go for a solid state poweramp for a modeler. I think Fractal recommended the QSC GX5 in some post on their forums. The QSC is visually hideous though.

Yeah it's a weird move instead having fuse holders in the front. Afaik another complaint is the fan at low volume is loud, not unsurprisingly because of the 1U format.

Personally I'd probably go for a solid state poweramp for a modeler. I think Fractal recommended the QSC GX5 in some post on their forums. The QSC is visually hideous though.
It is but its not a bank breaker though

Alto, Yamaha, and QSC have never let the "FRFR" community down and are usually far cheaper (and a much more realistically ergonomic design)

I don’t think of them as cheap, but it is absolutely true that those are great powered speakers. However, if guitarists valued ergonomic design we’d all play Strandbergs.
I wish Marshall would just make a licensing deal with QSC or Yamaha so they can figure out how to stick a good PA speaker into a Marshall cab and call it a day.

Aren't you running dual Powercabs now? How is that sounding?

I think the Matrix is the most sensible stereo power amp on paper. Some good reading.

I would be curious to shoot out say a pair of Friedman ASM-10's against a pair of 1x12 cabs and a stereo power amp.

The fan is loud in the Syn5050, but it's also loud in the Mesa 20/20. There are tradeoffs to having 100w in a 1U rack strip for sure.

The first day I had it, I had the Syn5050 flat on top of my 4x12 and it was getting hot and the fan was getting loud because there was no airflow under the tubes. I figured out quickly that giving it some air below and above the tubes is important. Plus it actually says this in the manual:

fetch

:LOL:

Yeah I have it in a rack, and it gets good airflow now all around it, but the fan is definitely on the louder side and revs up with additional heat produced.

Aren't you running dual Powercabs now? How is that sounding?

I think the Matrix is the most sensible stereo power amp on paper. Some good reading.

I would be curious to shoot out say a pair of Friedman ASM-10's against a pair of 1x12 cabs and a stereo power amp.
Ahh yes Powercabs are great No Complaints, Although I do wonder about those Built in class D amps. and there is always you know that nagging question we all have as my title say "what if" ? :D
So just curios is all
and yes i am aware that all GAS starts out as curiosity

If we would do a gig together…I’d be walking in with less gear, possibly lighter (2 lightweight tube combos + modeler/preamp loaded pedalboard), a hell of a lot cheaper…and at the end of the night you,d be grumpy cause you have been tweaking your sound all night…and you still don’t sound as good as my cheap ass traditional stuff ;)

in short…that’s a whole lot of money trying to emulate what cheap/traditional stuff does best ;)

Paul Shedden @ Mission reminds me of a guy riding through town on his horse and buggy selling cure-alls made out of watered down whiskey and herbs. He has spent some time downplaying other companies' products while not really knowing the inner workings of his own products he's pushing.

Paul Shedden @ Mission reminds me of a guy riding through town on his horse and buggy selling cure-alls made out of watered down whiskey and herbs. He has spent some time downplaying other companies' products while not really knowing the inner workings of his own products he's pushing.
So those cabs are like snake oil and not worth their price ?

Remember that dumb Katana head sized tweeter box they were going to put out? :wat

Edit: the Rangefinder :poop:

Last edited:
Palmer makes a great power amp called the Macht 402. I was using it while I was using the Synergy models and preferred it over the Synergy 5050, Carvin T100 and Mesa 2:50. It is only 1u and 8lbs. You have to order it from Thomann in Europe but that's no big deal.

Last edited:
Hi Stone,

With the Matrix, I'm not so sure these represent an "FRFR" poweramp, or if this is how a Matrix is specified. I can remember when these amps come out, guys like Steve Stevens switched to as they were lighter than the HH poweramps for cartage - wet signal still into regular guitar cabs (SS uses/used V-30's in 4x12's - hardy flat response).

I have the GT1000FX, and had the 800 as well (traded and wheeled and dealt and ended up with the 1000 for less cash). I've only ever used them for wet effects into "real" cabs. So would you have the cab sims from the Fractal even switched on, if running into a Matrix?

In light of my experiences with the Matrix, (not running cab sims/IR's), in a shootout (any source) an old Marshall 8008 Valvestate poweramp buried the Matrix 6 foot plus.

Back