What if ?

I’m currently running my Axe3 into a Mesa 20/20 and a pair of Mesa 1x12s with Vintage 30s in them. Yes, it imparts coloration to everything, but that configuration is used in a situation where I’m basically treating it like a multichannel amp (various gain levels of the same basic amp model), so I‘m not really losing out on anything there.

I’m currently running my Axe3 into a Mesa 20/20 and a pair of Mesa 1x12s with Vintage 30s in them. Yes, it imparts coloration to everything, but that configuration is used in a situation where I’m basically treating it like a multichannel amp (various gain levels of the same basic amp model), so I‘m not really losing out on anything there.
Interesting. When I'm not using headphones, I run the same amp into a pair of 4x12's w/ V30's also. I do have to tweak the presets though.
But since most of them are based off the JPIIC, they have a good starting point.

It's funny though..., my initial reason for buying the Axe III was to use as a multi-effects unit only, in the loop of my Tri Axis/2:90, but I've never set it up that way yet. The amp modelling just sounds that good.

Personally if I were putting together something like this, I wouldn’t go crazy with the power amp. You’re using a modeler that also models the power sections of the amps you’re using in your presets. Any power amp that has good output numbers and is clean and reliable should do just fine.
I had an old Ashly power amp that came from a closed down movie theater. It sounded good to me.

Personally if I were putting together something like this, I wouldn’t go crazy with the power amp. You’re using a modeler that also models the power sections of the amps you’re using in your presets. Any power amp that has good output numbers and is clean and reliable should do just fine.
I had an old Ashly power amp that came from a closed down movie theater. It sounded good to me.
The trick seems to be finding just that. The Duncan one is pretty pricey for the watts, the TC ones seem great but some report reliability issues and they keep discontinuing models and adding new ones. The HB ones are a little too weak, finding the right one is a bit of a chore so far

Someone probably has more details but they’ve kinda been ghosting people with issues and haven’t had any stock for quite a while, enough people thought they were done for until one of the Matrix guys popped up at the Fractal forum explaining supply chain issues….not sure anything has been sorted as of yet, that was like a year ago.
Thanks @DrewJD82 ; I was wondering too. They were like the go to amp for Fractal for a long time… sad to see them impacted by the pandemic. Sounds like it is not really their fault, although its too bad they have not been more present on social media.

Good discussion in here for me. I've been brain floating the idea of finding someone with an FM9 that wants to trade for my Kemper/Camplifier/Kabinet but have no clue what class D I'd use and what 1x12 I'd buy. Would prefer a powered cab to keep it simple.

1st I have to find someone that wants to swap. Has to be someone out there! :unsure:

Good discussion in here for me. I've been brain floating the idea of finding someone with an FM9 that wants to trade for my Kemper/Camplifier/Kabinet but have no clue what class D I'd use and what 1x12 I'd buy. Would prefer a powered cab to keep it simple.

1st I have to find someone that wants to swap. Has to be someone out there! :unsure:
The Camplifier is an awesome SS amp.

I just don't see the value in it if the aim is to recreate a wall of guitar via a "FRFR" system when you can just build a good PA system with subs and tops for most likely the same money?

Great post. :beer

I don't think enough guys consider that route, and end up with those guitar-centric PA
solutions and spinning round and round in circles. :idk

A nice PA with subs and tops can easily sound way better than a "built for guitar" setup that is
essentially the same thing but not nearly as versatile. That and any backing tracks played will
pop that much more, too. And if you ever play with other people you are golden.

I'd love to hear about some of the black TC units rather than the red ones. They're still cagey about the impedance at the advertised power ratings, but a few of them do specify 4 ohms

Back