What have I gotten myself into? 80's Metal band content

Yeah, I’d be having a quick conversation with everyone just to get everyone on the same page, or it’s just a lit fuse waiting to go off when eventually you get sick of it, if it even gets that far!

You’d think anyone who has done the cover thing in the past would have an idea of what the audience wants to hear, but for some reason that’s not always the case. By the time I was leaving high school and figuring out my next step in life, I knew I didn’t want to do covers because I couldn’t play the kind of music I wanted to. I looked at covers back then as losing hope. :rofl

If it were just 1-2 songs in a 3-4 hour set, sure, have at it, you might get a couple fists in the air from guys who are surprised to hear it and know it, but for anything under an hour, I definitely wouldn’t be trying to squeeze in any obscure stuff.

We’ve got a tribute band down here, Made Of Metal, the guitarists RIPS and always finds the best guys to do these tributes; he picks a metal band, generally from the 80’s, and assembles a band based off the music, then does a gig playing a ton of songs from that band, obscure and popular stuff. Dio, King Diamond, Maiden, Pantera, etc. I’m always surprised at how well that band packs venues. He’s in another tribute band with Nicko McBrain, a Bad Company tribute. Pretty crazy that you can walk into a dive bar and see Nicko just chilling there before a gig.
Doesn't Nicko own a BBQ spot down there? If I walked into a bar and saw Nicko there behind the kit :satanthen he started playing Bad Company?!?!??!?! :wat :barf

Doesn't Nicko own a BBQ spot down there? If I walked into a bar and saw Nicko there behind the kit :satanthen he started playing Bad Company?!?!??!?! :wat :barf

Yep, Rock n Roll Ribs, it’s about a 30-second drive from my father’s house. Good ribs, too! He plays there all the time for events and sh*t.

Reactions: JT
Doesn't Ripper Owens pop in from time to time and sit in? That would be a cool hang \m/

He was down here a couple weeks ago, I think for the anniversary party, but that was the only time I’d heard of him being here. My dad always tells me while the event is going on or immediately after, he should know by now I don’t jump up to do anything immediately when I’m not at work. :rofl

He was down here a couple weeks ago, I think for the anniversary party, but that was the only time I’d heard of him being here. My dad always tells me while the event is going on or immediately after, he should know by now I don’t jump up to do anything immediately when I’m not at work. :rofl
I think I read it on Blabbermouth a bit ago so that tracks. I like the idea of Ripper Owens but he has kind of floated around from thing to thing beyond JP without much of an impact. For whatever reason?

I think I read it on Blabbermouth a bit ago so that tracks. I like the idea of Ripper Owens but he has kind of floated around from thing to thing beyond JP without much of an impact. For whatever reason?

Yeah, I think he was doing Charred Walls Of The Damned with Richard Christy, but I haven’t heard jack about them in a long time. I know he made some political posts during the last 6 years that may have alienated some of his fanbase.

• Love
Reactions: JT
Yeah, I think he was doing Charred Walls Of The Damned with Richard Christy, but I haven’t heard jack about them in a long time. I know he made some political posts during the last 6 years that may have alienated some of his fanbase.
That is my favorite. Alongside that Roadrunner United Abigail cover :satan

Yeah, I’d be having a quick conversation with everyone just to get everyone on the same page, or it’s just a lit fuse waiting to go off when eventually you get sick of it, if it even gets that far!

You’d think anyone who has done the cover thing in the past would have an idea of what the audience wants to hear, but for some reason that’s not always the case. By the time I was leaving high school and figuring out my next step in life, I knew I didn’t want to do covers because I couldn’t play the kind of music I wanted to. I looked at covers back then as losing hope. :rofl

If it were just 1-2 songs in a 3-4 hour set, sure, have at it, you might get a couple fists in the air from guys who are surprised to hear it and know it, but for anything under an hour, I definitely wouldn’t be trying to squeeze in any obscure stuff.

We’ve got a tribute band down here, Made Of Metal, the guitarists RIPS and always finds the best guys to do these tributes; he picks a metal band, generally from the 80’s, and assembles a band based off the music, then does a gig playing a ton of songs from that band, obscure and popular stuff. Dio, King Diamond, Maiden, Pantera, etc. I’m always surprised at how well that band packs venues. He’s in another tribute band with Nicko McBrain, a Bad Company tribute. Pretty crazy that you can walk into a dive bar and see Nicko just chilling there before a gig.

Yep! I told em all outright how I felt and we are working on a new starter list. At one point I had to basically tell them I will call it off if we can't come up with a more reasonable list. I'm just not at a point in my life where I have hours and hours to dedicate to woodshedding long and/or complex songs. "Can" I pull it off? Sure if I had the time and the motivation. I see things very similarly to how patrons and show attendees see them. I want to be punched in the gut and feel the aggression of metal and not have to think too much about it.

Yep! I told em all outright how I felt and we are working on a new starter list. At one point I had to basically tell them I will call it off if we can't come up with a more reasonable list. I'm just not at a point in my life where I have hours and hours to dedicate to woodshedding long and/or complex songs. "Can" I pull it off? Sure if I had the time and the motivation. I see things very similarly to how patrons and show attendees see them. I want to be punched in the gut and feel the aggression of metal and not have to think too much about it.

I hear ya, man. I’ve got zero interest in being the backup band for someone’s dream of playing obscure 80’s metal, I’d be in the same boat!

Those kinds of songs are ones you might sprinkle in here and there once your core setlists are established. And they will be appreciated much more if they get pushed out that way vs. a full night of songs at this level of notoriety.

Those kinds of songs are ones you might sprinkle in here and there once your core setlists are established. And they will be appreciated much more if they get pushed out that way vs. a full night of songs at this level of notoriety.

Exactly. I do the same with the cover band I am in. We are established now so we mix it up with different things here and there. Just added Never Been any reason by Head East. Took me a bit to work up the synth parts on guitar but it's coming along nicely cos we aren't in a rush to put a list together.

Exactly. I do the same with the cover band I am in. We are established now so we mix it up with different things here and there. Just added Never Been any reason by Head East. Took me a bit to work up the synth parts on guitar but it's coming along nicely cos we aren't in a rush to put a list together.

Love that song! :chef

My experience with this is anyone who may have wanted to hear a band playing this stuff is either dead or in prison. If a song wasn't at least top 40 we won't touch it.

If you can personally play 5 of these songs or can sing their choruses, you should probably schedule your colonoscopy.

My man. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

Back