What have I gotten myself into? 80's Metal band content

Bob Zaod

Rock Star
So one of my clients want's to do a monthly "80's Metal night" indefinitely and luckily he's not talking Poison, Warrant type 80's he's talking more Judas Priest and Iron Maiden type stuff. My problem is the other bandmates want to do stuff beyond what I am willing to put into it for an extra 120 bucks a month. I mean we are talking stuff like Rime of The Ancient Mariner, Victim of Changes, all epic type stuff with all kinds of guitar choreography in it. The lead guitar guy is a well studied virtuoso type and I am a meat and potatoes, ham fisted rocker as far as guitar stuff goes.

Hopefully I can talk these guys down off the ledge cos I'd love to do NWOBHM type 80's stuff but not all that epic stuff that not many people actually care about. I'm all about Head out to the Highway and Wrathchild when it comes the type of playing I'd be willing to do. The 10 song starter list is crazy and I wasn't even consulted on it even though it's my client and I would be securing the gig. People suck sometimes man. Honestly I'd be willing to compromise if they will. Thing is all these guys (other than the lead guitar guy) know I am not into all that technical stuff as far as working them up goes. I'm not lazy, I am more business oriented. That stuff will take me a long time to burn into my hands and head. If I was getting 250 a pop I'd consider it more seriously, but 125pp a month with no rider or extra benefits? Nah.

It's a pretty rare occurrence to get a chance to basically have a residency playing 80's c0ck metal. Bring on the Balls to the Wall and meat and potatoes metal!

This situation is one of those that just sucks. I went through this a few years back. If you were making tribute band money for this ($500ish a person depending on your location, maybe little less, maybe more); I would bite the bullet and do it. Rime of the Ancient Mariner is epic because it's long; not because it's hard to play, imo.

FWIW, as a HUGE old school metal fan; I don't want to hear Heading Out to the Highway, Breaking the Law or any of that sort of Judas Priest starter kit crap. And that's where all the gymnastics start with "is it even worth it to be doing this?". In my mind; it's not. Unless you are committed to it and making the money you need to make to reflect that commitment. If you can get them to pick some easier songs to start out with to see if you even gel as a group; that would be a good way to dip your toe in the pool. Otherwise picking all these ambitious 7 minute long songs that no one but the lead guitarist is going to have down and then go expect to practice once a week for an hour and a half and nail it is a fool's errand.

In my situation; it was "let's pick a bunch of Exodus songs that no one but us give a **** about with 4 minute solo sections and a bunch of Pantera stuff that the lead guitarist has to have 100% before we even think about gigging with a group of "functioning" alcoholics who get together once a month for 2 hours of practice that actually boils down to about an hour when you subtract the hour of yapping that happens". Not. Worth. It.

Heading Out to the Highway, Breaking the Law

Oh I hear you but the client specifically requested "instantly known" stuff and I'd rather do those than Living After Midnight. Instantly known to the faux metal heads that tend to crowd this venue. I mean in my perfect world I'd be up there doing Raven and Celtic Frost et al or early Thrash stuff but that'd go over like a fart in Church. I think people will be happy to hear stuff that's not run of the mill glam metal or country.

I mean gun to my head I'd still prefer all the "Mustang Sally" Metal songs like Paranoid and Living After Midnight over actual Mustang Sally and Play that Funky Music.

In my situation; it was "let's pick a bunch of Exodus songs that no one but us give a **** about with 4 minute solo sections and a bunch of Pantera stuff that the lead guitarist has to have 100% before we even think about gigging with a group of "functioning" alcoholics who get together once a month for 2 hours of practice that actually boils down to about an hour when you subtract the hour of yapping that happens". Not. Worth. It.

yeah...brutal.

Reactions: JT
Oh I hear you but the client specifically requested "instantly known" stuff and I'd rather do those than Living After Midnight. Instantly known to the faux metal heads that tend to crowd this venue. I mean in my perfect world I'd be up there doing Raven and Celtic Frost et al or early Thrash stuff but that'd go over like a fart in Church. I think people will be happy to hear stuff that's not run of the mill glam metal or country.

I mean gun to my head I'd still prefer all the "Mustang Sally" Metal songs like Paranoid and Living After Midnight over actual Mustang Sally and Play that Funky Music.
Man; this discussion hits home big time. Saying "instantly known" then picking Rime and Victim seems counter-intuitive. It's just easier to play Mustang Sally :bag :rofl

Also; if you could toss the guy making all the obscure requests out of the picture and just do Paranoid and Living After Midnight; you could be up and gigging with a single practice :sofa:whistle

What I also didn't mention is they want to start it in early February of 2023. We need 2 hrs of music. There's no way I could work up the first 10 in that time span let alone another 15 or so. For one, I work a lot and for 2 I enjoy spending time with my family.

Man; this discussion hits home big time. Saying "instantly known" then picking Rime and Victim seems counter-intuitive. It's just easier to play Mustang Sally :bag :rofl
Right? I sent out the communication to the drummer and bass player and 2 minutes later I get a "Rodney's (lead guitar) in" then 20 minutes later I get a starter list LOL

• Sad
What I also didn't mention is they want to start it in early February of 2023. We need 2 hrs of music. There's no way I could work up the first 10 in that time span let alone another 15 or so. For one, I work a lot and for 2 I enjoy spending time with my family.
It's a tall order. Cover bands are hard enough to manage when playing songs people actually want to hear so you can make $; let alone niche stuff that is 10x the work for 1/10th the pay. Ugh. I'd rather just work on my own original metal and add a few metal covers in the mix as the mood strikes.

Part of the issue is these are guys I work with in several Tribute bands and they all come from doing originals practically their whole lives to realizing people want music they recognize, so they compromise with Tribute stuff like Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Dio etc etc.

I was over the whole originals thing back in the 90's as far as gigging it goes and I have been doing covers since then. I consider myself an entertainer first and foremost and they consider themselves musicians first and ONLY. As you know it's a completely different mentality to run a successful cover band compared to being in an originals band. The latter is more fulfilling to the musician in me but I was not graced with stellar songwriting abilities and the motivation and time it takes to make an originals band even a local household name.

Hoping this works out as there are so many good metal songs to choose from that people will recognize. I am not against throwing in a Riot tune or something from some Norwegian band that had only 1 EP back in 1981 or something but as someone who knows people in general and especially bar patrons, even metal heads want stuff they instantly recognize and can headbang to.

Yeah the mentality of each of these directions is completely different. And to be clear; I never did originals to do anything other than be able to write some songs I liked and hoped the rest of the band and audience (whatever audience there was) would enjoy.

It's really 2 different worlds.

I say try to convince them to dumb it down from the jump and add some more challenging numbers as you progress instead of starting with all the hard sh!t from the jump/

Yeah the mentality of each of these directions is completely different. And to be clear; I never did originals to do anything other than be able to write some songs I liked and hoped the rest of the band and audience (whatever audience there was) would enjoy.

It's really 2 different worlds.

I say try to convince them to dumb it down from the jump and add some more challenging numbers as you progress instead of starting with all the hard sh!t from the jump/

Good plan.

My experience with this is anyone who may have wanted to hear a band playing this stuff is either dead or in prison. If a song wasn't at least top 40 we won't touch it. To make matters worse, some of it is harder to play than your typical hit song. You'll end up playing to 3 people and working on a song for a month to do it. I learned Dream Theater's Mirror/LIE. Absolutely no one gave a shit. Playing hard or obscure material doesn't get people out. Unless maybe you are IN Dream Theater or one of these classic metal bands you're considering. For covers? At least around here, it fails time and time again. Same bands playing the same C rooms to their girlfriends. Good luck.

My experience with this is anyone who may have wanted to hear a band playing this stuff is either dead or in prison. If a song wasn't at least top 40 we won't touch it. To make matters worse, some of it is harder to play than your typical hit song. You'll end up playing to 3 people and working on a song for a month to do it. I learned Dream Theater's Mirror/LIE. Absolutely no one gave a s**t. Playing hard or obscure material doesn't get people out. Unless maybe you are IN Dream Theater or one of these classic metal bands you're considering. For covers? At least around here, it fails time and time again. Same bands playing the same C rooms to their girlfriends. Good luck.

Well the good thing there is a built in metal crowd for this venue. Otherwise yes I agree, that stuff just doesnt go over any more. This is a specialty item for a venue that pretty much only does Metal and EDM and draws a pretty good crowd for it. Last Tribute show I did there we were at capacity around 150+.

This was just before the whole place filled up when we went on.

grfvgrfgreg.jpg

I wouldn't go as far as dead or in prison :rofl but otherwise 100% agree @Bruce . It's a tough pill to swallow as a lifelong metalhead. I think now we are in the era of doing Big Four tribute stuff vs. doing the older era of stuff.

Well the good thing there is a built in metal crowd for this venue. Otherwise yes I agree, that stuff just doesnt go over any more. This is a specialty item for a venue that pretty much only does Metal and EDM and draws a pretty good crowd for it. Last Tribute show I did there we were at capacity around 150+.

This was just before the whole place filled up when we went on.

View attachment 3210
Looks like a nice place. Good luck with it.

Yeah, I’d be having a quick conversation with everyone just to get everyone on the same page, or it’s just a lit fuse waiting to go off when eventually you get sick of it, if it even gets that far!

You’d think anyone who has done the cover thing in the past would have an idea of what the audience wants to hear, but for some reason that’s not always the case. By the time I was leaving high school and figuring out my next step in life, I knew I didn’t want to do covers because I couldn’t play the kind of music I wanted to. I looked at covers back then as losing hope. :rofl

If it were just 1-2 songs in a 3-4 hour set, sure, have at it, you might get a couple fists in the air from guys who are surprised to hear it and know it, but for anything under an hour, I definitely wouldn’t be trying to squeeze in any obscure stuff.

We’ve got a tribute band down here, Made Of Metal, the guitarists RIPS and always finds the best guys to do these tributes; he picks a metal band, generally from the 80’s, and assembles a band based off the music, then does a gig playing a ton of songs from that band, obscure and popular stuff. Dio, King Diamond, Maiden, Pantera, etc. I’m always surprised at how well that band packs venues. He’s in another tribute band with Nicko McBrain, a Bad Company tribute. Pretty crazy that you can walk into a dive bar and see Nicko just chilling there before a gig.

Back