Getting a cab -- what speakers?

I am considering various cabinets, but I think I may go with either a Mojotone British 412 of Avatar 212. I was contemplating a couple from GC used and sent messages to GC for info, but I got no response so fuck them. However I am unsure what speakers to get.

I am looking at Eminence, Celestion, Fane, and WGS. My budget would be around $1,200. I'm a fan of X pattern and mixed speakers.

I'm open to other options, Marshall style is more my thing, but don't want to have to wait a long time to get the Cab. I just got a Fryette PS-2A and have no way of testing it. If I can remain close to the return window, it would be better.

Tough to answer. What reference tones do you like?

Me personally -- I like G12M, V30, EVM12L or S, Eminence Governor, Tone Tubby's.
Eh, I'd reference recordings, but the amount of post speaker manipulation would make it mostly irrelevant.

I use York Audio IRs currently, mixing T75/V30 and H30/M25.

I forgot: I like Marshall and Marshall related sounds. I tend to play stuff from the 70s and 80s, like Megadeth, Led Zeppelin, Ratt, Dokken, Van Halen, etc.

Marshall=Celestion, I can’t really associate Marshall with anything else.

I’m yet to hear a speaker that really sounds like a celestion but better. For an X pattern I guess I’d pick V30’s and m25 75hz greenbacks, but I dig m65 and H75’s somewhat too.

I’m also all about 4x12’s, pretty much every recorded guitar sound I’ve ever liked the sound of has been some kind of Celestion into a 4x12.

EDIT: just saw your tone references, MAYBE you’d like T75’s, G12-65’s or H30 Greenbacks instead of the V30. They’d all work great for that sound.

I've heard they are good for bedroom, which is mainly the volume I play at. If I got louder, how do they fair?

Larry David Hbo GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

I forgot: I like Marshall and Marshall related sounds. I tend to play stuff from the 70s and 80s, like Megadeth, Led Zeppelin, Ratt, Dokken, Van Halen, etc.

Sound like a Greenback kind of guy to me. You could get some great Greenback equivalents for $1200.

V30s at low volume are :barf for my ears. Probably a tad more on the modern side and need some
volume and push to even out. To me.

At low volume I'd choose warmth of a speaker over bite. Unless someone has high-frequency hearing loss
then embrace the bite. :LOL:

I've heard they are good for bedroom, which is mainly the volume I play at. If I got louder, how do they fair?
I have to disagree with @DrewJD82 on this one. My experience has been WGS sound good up to a decent medium volume. But when you start working them harder the start to fall apart and lose definition. Celestions comparatively retain definition and sound better the more you push them.

As far as speaker recommendations, recently I've been suggesting Weber. Gray Wolf/Silver Wolf mix is great for high gain. Both sound great on their own, but compliment each other perfectly for a full sound. If you want a more rock vibe Blue Dog/Silver Bell mix is it. You can think of each pair as cousins. And like Celestions they retain definition as you push them harder.

As an added bonus you can customize many models with watts, dust cap size, and amount of dope. They're all built to order. Plus you can ask them to break the speakers in for you. Pricing is a little cheaper than Celestion, being more comparative to WGS and Eminence.

I'd like to try H30/M25 speakers on a cabinet, as I love them with the Cab M patch I have. That said, that is also factoring in particular cabs, ohms, and mics.
It's a great combination for Marshall style amps. I believe the Bogner Goldfinger 2x12 uses this combination. The Victory Copper 2x12 does as well, though there's also an Alnico Gold version.

If you want to try something different, the Marshall 1965 4x10 cabs can be pretty cheap on the used market. There's also a more rare 1966 2x12 that is sized the same as the 4x10 cab.

I had some T75s that I enjoyed. They got wrecked somehow similar to my Super V12 Lynch speakers.
In my experience with T75's which is many years, I have found I like the ones they were making in the mid 1990's. I have 4 of them from a Marshall cab I had and now have 2 of them in some generic 4x12 that I got for like 50 bucks. I rewired it and spruced up the inside with sound treatment batting. I do prefer them mixed with something complementary as opposed to by themselves.

V30's are my favorite overall speaker. EV12L's are awesome but add so much more weight.

Back