What are your personal all-time Top 5 albums?

• Curve Doppelgänger
  • The Cure Disintegration
  • Mr. Bungle California
  • Failure Fantastic Planet
  • Deftones White Pony
Really need another 3 tho':
  • Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream
  • Spotlights Tidals
  • Deafheaven Sunbather

Oathbreaker - Rheia
I love Oathbreaker so much. Caro's performance is fffamazing but the occasional pitch issues just kill me. Spent way too many years producing/doctoring vocal tracks; I just wanna go in and fix like ten, twelve notes. Then Rheia would be an easy top ten for me.

I love Oathbreaker so much. Caro's performance is fffamazing but the occasional pitch issues just kill me. Spent way too many years producing/doctoring vocal tracks; I just wanna go in and fix like ten, twelve notes. Then Rheia would be an easy top ten for me.

I went through a period where that was about the only album I’d listen to. Just a beautiful mix of brutal, melodic, grooves. (That final breakdown section/riff of Where I Live, to this day makes me want to start punching walls lol) You can also hear some influences in Caro like Blond Red Head, which pulls at my youth. I agree it’s not the perfect mix, but in some ways I think it works not being a pristine mix with perfect takes.

Of course being a total fanboy of that album the band naturally went dormant and currently don’t appear to be a thing beyond the odd performance here or there. lol

• Curve Doppelgänger
  • The Cure Disintegration
  • Mr. Bungle California
  • Failure Fantastic Planet
  • Deftones White Pony
Really need another 3 tho':
  • Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream
  • Spotlights Tidals
  • Deafheaven Sunbather

Dude, we must be the same age and ran in similar music circles because we have almost identical tastes lol.

Fun fact, my broke friends and I did a mile hike through woods along a creek, to jump the fence into the smoke section of a club, to see Failure when Fantastic Planet came out. You should have seen the looks on the faces of the people out there smoking when 6-7 of us started hopping the fence lol.

What a killer show. (Local H opened who were surprisingly good too)

Bad Hair Day - Wierd Al was my first musical obsession and turned me on to artists he had parodied.

Ænima - listening to Tool for the first time was like a religious experience.

Saturday Morning Cartoon's Greatest Hits - Cartoon theme songs covered by Sublime, Violent Femmes, Reverend Horton Heat, Ramones, Face to Face, Helmet - this opened the door to all of these bands for me as a very young child and made me want to pick up the drumsticks and play punk rock.

Mutopia (Nuclear Rabbit) - Primus but crack instead of crank, local insane funky prog metal.

SCIENCE - Best Incubus album. The musicality is superb. A fun ride.

Ænima is what got me listening to Tool. Great album and different than anything else I was listening to At the time.

Tool - Ænima
Tool - Lateralus
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms
Deftones - Around The Fur

Bonus:
Favourite songs from Meshuggah
SECT - No Cure For death
Breach - Venom
Steven Wilson - Hand Cannot Erase

Hmmm. That's a tough one. I'll try to answer it in terms of which had the most impact at the time I heard it. Not in any particular order:

1. Rush 2112 (in truth I could list 5 Rush albums: 2112, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, and Signals and be done with it, ha).
2. Styx Equinox (Grand Illusion right there too)
3. Kansas Leftoverture
4. Van Halen I
5. SRV Texas Flood (In Step is right there too).

Big age gaps here. I see several favorites I've never heard. Some of them not even the name of the band 😁

Deep Purple - Made in Japan, (or Made in Europe, or In rock, or... Rainbow On Stage, Rising... or Whitesnake "Live in the heart of the City"... all the DP saga)
Pink Floyd - Dark Side, or WYWH, or Pulse, or...
Black Sabbath - Too many... including albums with Dio. And, why not, Dio albums
Vai/Satriani - Passion and Warfare & Surfing with the alien (I am not cheating, they are a combo)
Genesis - The Lamb, or pick any other with PG
... Scorpions - Tokyo Tapes
Hey, you said five? OK. It is hard to stop there :cool:

Last edited:
Almost forgot. Pat Metheny’s going home, live, first cut “Are You Going with Me”

Roland gr8 … used to have a solid patch for that on the AxeFx2. Should rebuild it.
I would easily put that at/near the top of the all-time best live guitar performances I've ever heard. I probably listened to it at least a couple hundred times. That it was done on a guitar synth is even more amazing. That was my first Metheney record.

I would easily put that at/near the top of the all-time best live guitar performances I've ever heard. I probably listened to it at least a couple hundred times. That it was done on a guitar synth is even more amazing. That was my first Metheney record.
Reminds me of my dad …

Top 5:

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Megadeth - Peace Sells...
Van Halen - VH1
The Dark Element - The Dark Element
Flotsam & Jetsam - The End of Chaos

Bonus Disks:

Wolf - The Black Flame
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Suicidal Tendencies - Lights... Camera... Revolution
Halestorm - The Strange Case Of...

Top 5:

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Megadeth - Peace Sells...
Van Halen - VH1
The Dark Element - The Dark Element
Flotsam & Jetsam - The End of Chaos

Bonus Disks:

Wolf - The Black Flame
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Suicidal Tendencies - Lights... Camera... Revolution
Halestorm - The Strange Case Of...
I saw Flotsam on the Storm Comes Down tour (which was an AWESOME album marred by bad production) and the Quatro album. Both were "direction shifts" but I didn't care because they were awesome in my book. Very underrated.

5 More:

Porcupine Tree In Absentia
Muse Absolution
Yes Big Generator
Led Zeppelin Presence
Dream Theater Falling Into Infinity

I saw Flotsam on the Storm Comes Down tour (which was an AWESOME album marred by bad production) and the Quatro album. Both were "direction shifts" but I didn't care because they were awesome in my book. Very underrated.
I'm jealous. Also, that's a good point about the production. I find it a challenge to listen to anything before their 2014 self-titled album due to an unfortunate fetish with production. Damned need for ear candy.

Wasn't really into them until happening upon The End of Chaos where I was passively listening until "Unwelcome Surprise" came on and I went, "OMG... What the f**k was that?!" I guess I didn't see THAT one coming. ;)

Maybe I'll give Storm Comes Down and Quatro another listen.

The list of ignorance :geek:

These are the bands whose names I've never heard before: :facepalm

Emperor, Paradise Lost, Tiamat, Brad Paisley, Jimmy Eat World, Dance Gavin Dance, Pinegrove, Isis, Hum, Oathbreaker, Temple Of The Dog, G. Love and Special Sauce, Mastodon, Curve, Mr. Bungle, Failure, Spotlights, Deafheaven, Oathbreaker, Bad Hair Day, Helmet, Mutopia, Sect, Breach, Kamelot, Tony Rice, The Dark Element, Flotsam & Jetsam, Wolf, Halestorm, The Prodigy

And these names are familiar, but not the music: :whistle

Tool, Primus, Suicidal Tendencies, Muse, Styx

I compile the list, so I will start listening to them when I have the opportunity. I hope I don't have to end up saying that "ignorance is bliss" :rofl
:columbo

The list of ignorance :geek:

These are the bands whose names I've never heard before: :facepalm

Emperor, Paradise Lost, Tiamat, Brad Paisley, Jimmy Eat World, Dance Gavin Dance, Pinegrove, Isis, Hum, Oathbreaker, Temple Of The Dog, G. Love and Special Sauce, Mastodon, Curve, Mr. Bungle, Failure, Spotlights, Deafheaven, Oathbreaker, Bad Hair Day, Helmet, Mutopia, Sect, Breach, Kamelot, Tony Rice, The Dark Element, Flotsam & Jetsam, Wolf, Halestorm, The Prodigy

And these names are familiar, but not the music: :whistle

Tool, Primus, Suicidal Tendencies, Muse, Styx

I compile the list, so I will start listening to them when I have the opportunity. I hope I don't have to end up saying that "ignorance is bliss" :rofl
:columbo
There‘s lots of stuff in this thread that I‘ve never heard before. I have already listened to some of the aforementioned albums and there surely is a lot of great music to discover. Keep it coming, guys!

Back